Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Young One

maykuhn loft,

Today I had my old birds out and I had a Cooper hawk chasing them for about fortyfive minutes! He or she didn't get any, so I think it was a yearling on his way north. Still this is not the way I wanted to get some loft flying exercise on my birds to get ready for the season. Maybe it is, they are more cautious when flying now!

Ralph

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
yeah grrrrrrr!!:mad: I have them attacking the sides of my fly pens daily and I dont even let my birds out anymore :mad:
I would wouldn't know what to do if I had a hawk doing that to my loft everyday....:eek:.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
yeah grrrrrrr!!:mad: I have them attacking the sides of my fly pens daily and I dont even let my birds out anymore :mad:
They have a quota of 5 pigeons each day...Ferals or pur pets, they want to make their babies as healthy as they can be...(my assumptions)

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Ahay! wee grasshopper! (sorry, always wanted to use that phrase) that could be part of it, i would still look at your landing area.(to exposed, to easy for the hawks, ect.) I am a total muck at keeping my birds hungry! As i have said, I LOVE to watch them eat! Dave

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
What someone needs to do is invent a robotic pigeon that you can fly around the yard. Hawk gets a hold of a robotic pigeon and appetite lost.HuH!;)

What ya think?

I had that one hawk in my back yard and ran out there like a total maniac on crack. He hasn't been in my yard since (knock on wood).

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ahay! wee grasshopper! (sorry, always wanted to use that phrase) that could be part of it, i would still look at your landing area.(to exposed, to easy for the hawks, ect.) I am a total muck at keeping my birds hungry! As i have said, I LOVE to watch them eat! Dave
I tell ya Dave, Between my wife of two years, my 15 month old son, and my pigeon hotel (as my wife calls it), my life is full of questions!;)

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Not to be eaten...I agree...

They are probably too fat to fly or maybe they don't have much energy to fly...
My birds fly, fly and fly some more. I think that the pigeons and the hawks are conditioning each other in a negative way. The hawk knows not to attack until the pigeon is vulnerable (landing). The pigeon learns this, and doesnt want to trap. I have a feeling that Ill get the rest back in the morning. This has happened before.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.