Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was watching a roller training video that suggested such birds should only e flown 5-6 months out of the year due to possible losses from hawks. Any guess why this would be true?

Do racing homers have greater problems during certain seasons?

Thank you.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
So I was watching a roller training video that suggested such birds should only e flown 5-6 months out of the year due to possible losses from hawks. Any guess why this would be true?

Do racing homers have greater problems during certain seasons?

Thank you.
some migrate through parts of the country, winter they are very hungry and spring/summer they are raising young, I have not had a hawk in weeks, but I expect it will get worse in the fall with the migration.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Racing homers have less issues with hawks then rollers if compared.It also depends how aggressive the hawk is.You shouldn't have a lot of issues in the summer,as i have a resident pair 100 yards from me.They'll try to hit once or twice but not really aggressively.It kind of helps the birds fly longer and higher,and gets them hawk-aware.

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
It depends on your location, but usually winter is deadly for pigeons because those hawks are very hungry with less food(other birds) available to them. I have homers and crosses and during winter and late winter, they get most of my birds. They are more persistent during those times. I also have these resident hawks that live near me and they wreck havoc in my birds. It seemed to have calmed down a bit this spring because I notice that these hawks are catching other birds and leaving my birds alone. Rollers are slower so a hawk can get them better than homers. A smart, conditioned, well-trained rollers may be able to survive though. Some people take their chances. Some don't. I did and I suffered from it. Because hawks migrate, some people just wait until they migrated out from you area.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.