Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just strated with young homing pigeon i built a nice coop for them ,after a mounth i let them loose for the first time everyting was ok till a sparow hawk dive on to them hit one of them i saw feather flying all the birds fly away all panicy i only got back 3 out of five, today nothing no sigh of the two any one have a suggestion how i can keep the hawks out i'm from south jersey in the wooods .

·
Registered
463 Posts
I am in NY and up until about a week ago had no problems with hawks all summer. Now is hawk migration time and now they are all over. My birds are now on lock down because almost every time they are let out a hawk attacks them. So far no losses though but some close calls. For me it really depends on the time of year and the fall is the worst. Not much you can do. I think this time of the year it is hard to train young birds but one thing is good they now know what a hawk is.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am in NY and up until about a week ago had no problems with hawks all summer. Now is hawk migration time and now they are all over. My birds are now on lock down because almost every time they are let out a hawk attacks them. So far no losses though but some close calls. For me it really depends on the time of year and the fall is the worst. Not much you can do. I think this time of the year it is hard to train young birds but one thing is good they now know what a hawk is.
thank you.... very good information here what time a year you think is good time to fly my birds . one of the bird came back after a day and a half so i only lost the one the hawk hit

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Even if you aren't in their migration line, fall and winter are bad with hawks. In N.E. and areas around here, the songbirds are leaving for warmer places. So now the hawks are hitting the pigeons more. It's starts now, and will be bad all winter.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Even if you aren't in their migration line, fall and winter are bad with hawks. In N.E. and areas around here, the songbirds are leaving for warmer places. So now the hawks are hitting the pigeons more. It's starts now, and will be bad all winter.
I'm by Atlantic city NJ i don't know if i'm in migration line but now that i watch for them they are all over the place i have to keep the homers lock up for the winter man they like to fly so bad :mad:

·
Registered
463 Posts
In Cape May they have an annual hawk migration count. I change the times I let the birds out to try and fool the hawks so they don't figure out that say 5:00 is dinner time. I also try to bring the birds some place to release them so they are not just flying around the loft saying here we are lol. When you race the birds they also have to know how to evade the hawks. I usually leave them in for a week or so after a hawk attack and hope that the hawk moves on in it's migration. For me now is the hardest time for flying. I have found the later in the day I let them out the better for me hopefully the hawks have already eaten doesn't always work but works most of the time and because of this they have been chased late in the day they may stay out overnight. Once had all 60 birds not come home until the following day. Your birds will learn pretty quick how to outrun the hawks and you have to really pay attention when they are coming in. Never leave them out alone. I have white birds with a couple of blue bars and the hawks always chase the blue bars I think it is because the blue bars stand out against the whites lol.

·
Registered
727 Posts
If you only have four homers, you might want to consider keeping them as prison for a while and raise more because you are going to have losses to hawks and with so few birds you will be out of the hobby or in need of replacements.

I have homers and rollers. The homers being a bigger bird are harder for the hawks to take but they will still get them. In some areas the roller fliers are breeding a hundred or more birds just to have enough left to fly competitions at the end of the year. Most of the guys and gals are locking down through the winters. Anyone that has a location that is free of attack is blessed.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I can see hawks all over now that i'm looking for them . going to lock the pigeons up for the winter i may start to let them out again in May you all think is too early? i got me a nice Hen adout a year old a little on the small size but very nice banded
bird just to replace the one the hawk got i'm just going to use her for breathing boy she don't like my loft trying to get out and fly away:)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well i got 6 more baby homers . keep them in for two months a let them out of the coop for one hour the same thing happen again the hawks was after them in no time at all my six month old birds came back. 2 out the four babys did not man i'm getting close to get out of this hobby :confused:

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
This is not the time of year around here to be letting them out. Hawks are terrible at this time of year. Waiting till springtime when the song birds are back, and some of the hawks have moved on is safer. I think most racers wait till now to pair up their birds for breeding. That way the babies would be ready for going out in the spring time.
Even the ferals that we feed don't come around at this time of year because of the hawk strikes. I think most of them either starve to death or become hawk food during the winter. Sad.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This is not the time of year around her to be letting them out. Hawks are terrible at this time of year. Waiting till springtime when the song birds are back, and some of the hawks have moved on is safer. I think most racers wait till now to pair up their birds for breeding. That way the babies would be ready for going out in the spring time.
Even the ferals that we feed don't come around at this time of year because of the hawk strikes. I think most of them either starve to death or become hawk food during the winter. Sad.
Thank you you told me before about that i just felt sorry for
them they just love to fly , i just have to wait now also i seen that my older birds are much more strong and smart for the hawk to get them thank again.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
They may love to fly, but I would feel more sorry for the ones that get eaten alive.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Maybe feeding hawks with alternate resources solve your problem, zooman. things on youtube to evade BOPs maybe given a try. Don't give up that easy.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I wouldn't give up, you just have to get a schedule. Spend your time trap training the young ones and working on the loft. once your young ones are trap trained, don't quit, there is never enough trap training. If there is leaves on the trees it is time for me to loft fly young birds. I raise some young early, but I trap train the dickins out of them and when leaves are on I make sure there a lil hungry and let them all out. If a hawk comes around at least they know where the door is. Jim

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I wouldn't give up, you just have to get a schedule. Spend your time trap training the young ones and working on the loft. once your young ones are trap trained, don't quit, there is never enough trap training. If there is leaves on the trees it is time for me to loft fly young birds. I raise some young early, but I trap train the dickins out of them and when leaves are on I make sure there a lil hungry and let them all out. If a hawk comes around at least they know where the door is. Jim
I don't give up it is so nice to see them fly they are so gracious.
All the pigeons are trap training every day they are fed in the wire enclosure and when they done the have to trap to get in the main coop. Rock dove Bird Pigeons and doves Parrot Beak

this is outside wire inclosure

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I don't give up it is so nice to see them fly they are so gracious.
All the pigeons are trap training every day they are fed in the wire enclosure and when they done the have to trap the get in the main coop. View attachment 47786

Bird Pigeons and doves Rock dove Stock dove Beak

this is from the inside coop i don't know how to fix the picture is on it side

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Don't think it's a question so much of giving up or not. Just a question of not flying them when the hawks are at their worst, which is now here. Keep them in till spring.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Don't think it's a question so much of giving up or not. Just a question of not flying them when the hawks are at their worst, which is now here. Keep them in till spring.
Yes i will do that. But if i get atack in the spring i'm done. thank you all .

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
I'm really sorry you are having such hawk problems. It is disheartening. When you fly birds, you are going to lose some to hawks. That is almost unavoidable. And it's awful when it happens. I don't blame you for feeling as you do. But people who fly have to accept that, and just do their best at trying to let them out when the chances are better. That is not saying that you won't be hit at all. Damn hawks. When they know the birds are there, they can be stubborn. I hope you do have better luck come spring, I really do.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I don't know if this may help you but something I do is give any pigeon eggs I remove to the crows. I usually set a couple of them out every day and now I have crows coming looking to be fed. Sometimes I have 7-8 crows coming by. When there is a hawk in the area they scream and yell at the hawk until it leaves. I think this helps. I have also had hawks come by and go after the birds with the hawks screaming. I do think this helps but like everything not perfect. Before I started doing this I had hawks come by all the time now not so much.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts