Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a blue bar cock bird which I noticed had been dwelling on the ground for a while and resting there when he should have been perching off the ground , after eventually catching him on the floor I can't see any obvious signs as to why he can't fly ........over a week has passed and again today I observed him crouching down as if wanting to take off the ground for the landing board but just a few slow flaps of his wings and he gave up and walked back to the shed where he is living with his mate and several of my other birds .

can anyone offer me any ideas as to what could be going on here ??

thanks

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Darren, some of the common things that can ground a bird are coccidiosis, bacterial infections, canker and worms. What does his droppings look like? I might be inclined to start him on a course of the Sulfa-AVS you have (Trimethoprim/Sulfa) this will treat for coccidiosis and a few common bacterial infections that can ground a bird and see how he is doing in a few days.

Good luck with him,

Karyn

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
Absolutely. And isolate him ASAP from the rest of your pals.....
Alternately, you could use Cipro/Baytril combined perhaps w/a canker med (Metro, Ronidazole, Spartrix) and see if this improves things. No point on the canker med if there's no physical sign of canker, of course.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both for your input .......I did check for canker , although I know it isn't always visible ...his throat was clear and pink although I will monitor that .

I think I might just go ahead and treat the whole flock with the sulfa - AVS as they have all had and have contact with each other and it might be worthwhile since we have a mice plauge going on here in this state at the moment .

Many thanks to you both and I will let you know if this proves successful .

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
Thank you both for your input .......I did check for canker , although I know it isn't always visible ...his throat was clear and pink although I will monitor that .

I think I might just go ahead and treat the whole flock with the sulfa - AVS as they have all had and have contact with each other and it might be worthwhile since we have a mice plauge going on here in this state at the moment .

Many thanks to you both and I will let you know if this proves successful .
If you have mice problems, you probably have salmonella. Check with dobato, but I think the triple sulfa should take care of it....or baytril. Before I got some triple sulfa, my first choice was baytril.
Can you 'mouse proof' the loft?

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you have mice problems, you probably have salmonella. Check with dobato, but I think the triple sulfa should take care of it....or baytril. Before I got some triple sulfa, my first choice was baytril.
Can you 'mouse proof' the loft?
Thanks Waynette

If salmonella is a factor here , the sulfa AVS should clear it . The loft itself is mouse proof or at least I thought , however it is the outdoor aviary section proving to be the problem , they are coming up through a bricked floor outside and tunnels they are making underneath are shifting soil making the bricks sink giving them that room they need to sqeeze between the bricks to pop thru . Soon the outdoor section will go , be floored and become another section , so hopefully that will make it even more difficult for them .

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
Thanks Waynette

If salmonella is a factor here , the sulfa AVS should clear it . The loft itself is mouse proof or at least I thought , however it is the outdoor aviary section proving to be the problem , they are coming up through a bricked floor outside and tunnels they are making underneath are shifting soil making the bricks sink giving them that room they need to sqeeze between the bricks to pop thru . Soon the outdoor section will go , be floored and become another section , so hopefully that will make it even more difficult for them .
Mice (and rats) are the hardest (in my opinion) to keep out!!! They are persistent and tunnel under everything :mad: I put 1/2 inch wire mesh in the ground under my flight cages and connected to the sides. But right now, because they are getting ready for winter, the rats are tunneling again under my flight cages. They can't get inside, but they are undermining the sand in the flight cage. I've been out there everyday the past 2 weeks running the hose in their holes. I've decided that I'm going to get a bag of 'quick crete' (concrete), and wherever they expose their tunnel under the wire mesh, I'm going to put the quick crete in and add water!!

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
I have seen some spread cement over the bricks, which seems to make it work. Rodents are the worst. Some dig down a foot or so also, all around the flight and loft, and bury the heavy hardware cloth all around the outside to stop them getting under the flight. Although rats can go down 18 inches. They have a product called critter out which might be helpful to spray into the tunnels. Don't know.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.