Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my second attempt to post this new thread under General Discussions? Hope it works this time.

Boy the more I am around people, the more I like the little animals as they say. Here is my dillema: You may recall under my thread "Be Gone" I was ordered by my building to stop feeding the pijjies from my balcony, which I complied with immediately. Then, upon kindly advice (much appreciated) from you all here at Pig-Talk I fed them at nightfall, up on the 20 foot high bridge where I could not be accused of feeding the rats in the area, etc., etc., Well, I was happy to see that my little flock had now been trained to stay off our roof building and no longer waited there to be fed. I have 2 feeding times: 9a.m. and 3p.m. and they do not show up on the bridge till then. We all know how fast they learn, being so smart. Anyhow, because they have not been hanging around on this or adjacent rooves, I did not feel it necessary to hide, like some common criminal in order to feed them. I had just given them their a.m. feeding when I hear my name being called and turned around to find one of my male neighbours, broom in hand. He tells me: "Linda, you must stop feeding the pigeons as they are landing on our roof, creating a problem for this building, plus you are polluting by putting feed down." I told him he is wrong, that the pigeons are now trained to stay away and that I have been keeping my eye on this. In the initial 1st week (in all fairness) he may have seen them on our roof, but I can say without a doubt that they no longer roost anywhere near this building. I told him I complied totally with the co-op's request that I not feed the birds from my balcony and that he does not have the RIGHT to tell me what I can or cannot do OFF OF THE CO-OP PROPERTY. "You are polluting, feeding the rats," he reitterates. I pointed out that the bridge was chosen because it is over 20 feet off the ground). (The steps are at least a foot in length and no rat could climb them). He started getting real pushy about it so I said, "look, the feed that I put down in top grade feed and not LITTER and I only put down enough to feed the pigeons and they pick it CLEAN. I am no where on the co-op's property and you don't have a right to tell me what I can or cannot do OFF this property. If you want to make it a court issue, then SUE ME. I told him that the feed is totally BIO-DEGRADABLE, not LITTER, and that it is not illegal to feed the pigeons in the City of Vancouver, so you need to GET OFF MY BACK AND GROW A HEART." Then, what does he do?? There happened to be a couple of City workers working on the power lines in very close proximity to us. He turns on his heels heading over to them (I guess he was going to "tattle on me" ("bad lady feed the birdies, peese make bad lady stop!"). Then he seemed to have second thoughts about that so, broom in hand, he marches up the stairs to the bridge where I had just put seed down and begins sweeping it all off the bridge. Like this makes sense! He has now swept the seed down to ground level WHERE THE RATS CAN GET AT IT! Needless to say, I was very upset upon seeing him do this and I told him that he really needs help with his HATRED of innocent birds!

It has been my experience with these type of "people" that once they start to ride their high horses, they NEVER stop. What I am afraid of, and as we pigeon friends know is that someone like him would think NOTHING of phoning a pest control agency and having the pigeons CULLED. So, friends, I need some solid advice from you all on what I should (or should not) do in regards to this problem. HELP!!

·
Registered
911 Posts
Hi Linda..........I am so sorry that you are going through this. I have had my experiences with these sorts of people. I have had birds poisioned, shot at with BB Guns, stuck in glue traps and now my neighbor directly behind my house has placed thousands of spikes all over his roof.

My advice to you is first check with your town/county and make 100% sure there is no law or city ordance that prevents you from feeding the birds. If you are correct. I would contact the police and make a complaint against the man. Tell them you feel threatened and that he came at you with the broom. You might even be able to get a restraining order against him. He has no right or control over anything you do off of the condo property. Tell the police he has been stalking you and following you to the bridge. Act really scared........which you should actually be.......this quy sounds crazy.

In the meantime, please stay away from this man. He sounds mentally unstable and God only knows what he could be capable of.

I wouldn't worry about him calling a pest control company........that costs quite a bit of money. What I would worry about is that now that the birds know they are fed on the bridge he could put out poisened seed for them.

I feel so bad that you are going through this.

Please be very, very careful.

Regards,
Louise

·
Registered
632 Posts
Maybe you could report him to the CO-OP for maliciously removing bird seed from an area where rats can't get at it, and placing it where they can. This sounds like an infringement of health and hygiene laws.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Lindy, after reading your post, I wanted to grab a broom and beat the guy. That man is AWFUL. Good for you for sticking up for the birds. I would have called the police if he would have taken even a close swipe at you with that broom. Why else would he be carry it. Come on, to sweep the bridge. This man doesn't have a life. Invite him on pigeon talk so he can learn something. I hope you can come to a compromise with this man. He doesn't sound like a reasonable man to me. Good luck. Min

G

·
its crazy to see what the world has come to these days ... why cant people just live in the day and embrace wat they have and stop being such a menace to others ..it makes me sad :(

p.s. I say hire a ninja to take care of this problem ;)

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
You should ask the guy, is everyone in his family healthy, is anyone battling cancer. If the answer is NO, then he really should thank his lucky stars and quit worry about pigeons being fed. If he says Yes someone is battling cancer, then i would say, and your worried about me feeding pigeons when you have that to worry about. That guy needs to get a life.

·
Registered
508 Posts
what are you feeding them? If the man is worried about pigeon poop, I read somewhere that feeding pigeons seed rather than what most people feed- bread, is much better for their digestive system. What you can tell the dude: feeding the birds seed will improve their health, and make their poop easier to clean. now I know that the ferals don't live on bread alone, and most of the time their poop is plenty healthy already, but telling the man this MAY get him of your back ( if he is not just a jerk ) anyway, just a thought. It has worked for me before. A janitor came up to me and asked me why I was feeding them seed, I told him that it makes them healthier and it makes their poop easier to clean. the jantor actally thanked me for doing it!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Have already checked with City of Vanc. and Wildlife Society on legality of feeding pijjies over a year ago and was assured that it is TOTALLY LEGAL to feed pigeons in the City of Vanc. LOL

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Teresa, if he pushes it by going to the board of directors again and I receive a letter or telephone call from them (he is insisting they still land on our building when I know they don't, I will explain what he did sweeping the seed off the bridge where the rats can get at it -- not wise and a health issue (good suggestion!) LOL

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
To ColumbaLivia: I feed them only TOP QUALITY GRAIN (sunflower seeds, shelled, corn, peas, oats, red wheat) so, yeah, they get only the BEST OF FEED (he has been told that), but you have a good idea about telling him how this improves their poops and makes it easier to clean up, keeps them healthier, etc. Right On! This goes in the "A" file (for "useful"!)

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
To LakotaLoft: How, true. It is like the saying: God loved birds, so he made the trees....man loved birds....and built the cages! We are a long way from the "garden" (Eden)

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
To Iwerden: This man is just drunk on power. He went to the co-op about this asking for an inch and got a mile....now he thinks he can demand 3 miles and get it. I do not think he is dangerous (he has a wife and they are pretty stable co-op members, but very opinionated and want their own way, but I don't think he is a real physical threat. He is just so very childish and spoiled rotten, from what I can see. He is well educated and thinks he knows the answer to everything...who was it that said, "how is it you say "I see," and yet your are blind?" Some guy named Jesus (who also loved birds, I might add!!) But so sweet of you to be concerned LOL Thank you for your support, hon

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey, Mindy!

I will ask him just that (about the cancer, etc.) Good reasoning, Min! LOL

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Iwerden: Sick. Incredible. Can you not report these people to the Humane Society for cruelty against animals??? We have pretty stringent laws here in Canada, and any news station would do an eager coverage against such a thing. I would call the press, the newspapers, whatever it takes. You can only flush rats like these out because they are COWARDS. They can dish it but never take it. Use the press, love. Consider this a war. Expose these rats and cowards. If you have a digital camera, use it to show the suffering of the pigeons (even though this may be hard to witness, do it for them). If you have a cellphone that takes pictures, use it. Then give it to the PRESS. The power of the press is phenominal.

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
its crazy to see what the world has come to these days ...* why cant people just live in the day and embrace wat they have and stop being such a menace to others ..it makes me sad :(

p.s. I say hire a ninja to take care of this problem ;)
To LakotaLoft: How, true. It is like the saying: God loved birds, so he made the trees....man loved birds....and built the cages! ** We are a long way from the "garden" (Eden)

* Because of the fall of Adam and Eve, and man's free will.

** SO true.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
oh what a jerk, iwerden is right, you do need a restraining order, he is stalking you and being verbally abusive to you.
get the retraining order he is harassing and threatening, what you are doing is well within the law and your right

·
Registered
163 Posts
I don't want to be a party pooper...and I hate to let any jerk get his own way as much as anyone...

But you should carefully consider the situation you're in. Sure, a restraining order will protect you...but the birds can't file for a restraining order. And if this guy is truly not going to quit, as you say...well, eventually he will stoop to any means necessary to get what he wants. He may have no rights to tell you what to do out on the bridge, but nothing you can do will give you the right to keep him away from it either. If the birds show up there like clockwork to be fed...well...they are sitting ducks to be poisoned if you ask me.

You can fight him any way you want...but you've already lost. He knows your weakness already - the birds.

I think you need to seriously consider whether or not it is worth jeopardizing their safety so you can feed them. All egos aside, ultimately you are betting their lives that he WON'T poison them...when every experience you've had with him to date indicates that he could...and would.

Like I said....I don't mean to be a party pooper...just things that need to be thought of before it's too late...imo.

·
Registered
224 Posts
what are you feeding them? If the man is worried about pigeon poop, I read somewhere that feeding pigeons seed rather than what most people feed- bread, is much better for their digestive system.
seed is alot better for them. the yeast in bread and other things is EXTREMELY bad for them and can kill baby birds. birds with yeast infections have very bad smelling poops (not to mention how difficult it is to clean up) and they get very lethargic and dehydrated.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
To bella: You are thinking as I am, bella, and really, it is not about HIM or ME, it is about trying to help the PIGEONS. In all reality I know in my heart I should never had began feeding them, because this if often the outcome....and it also increases the number of farels (healthy birds mate and produce prolifically (x6 a year?). I am seriously thinking of advocating to the City of Vanc. to get it to install City run Dove Cotes where the City feeds them, can control egg numbers (thus flock numbers) can provide healthcare, and I would love to work as a volunteer, cleaning & feeding. I am presently checking this with City of Vanc. Council Meeting agenda's. However, I do not want to become involved in heavy politics, so I will see what I find out.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts