Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a couple of birds who's heads are tilted. They aren't twisting back or upside down in the classic PMV fashion that Ive seen.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Neurological symptoms can be caused by a variety of causes, among them bacteria, virus, fungus, parasites.
No one here, can tell you without doubt, that your birds do indeed have PMV virus because saying so, would be the same as saying every person with a head ache has a brain tumor.
Your birds need to be evaluated by a veterinarian starting with a fecal exam to see what if anything is revealed. You also need to evaluate the place in which they are housed with a critical eye, such as..are rodents getting into the loft or has their food become wet or moldy.
It is very important that your birds be treated for the cause of the symptoms.
http://www.jstor.org/pss/30135015

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No rodents, loft very clean, they are 2008 birds and have been vaccinated against pmv and salmonella. I'm pretty good about keeping the birds on preventative medication regularly.

I just finished the 2009 Young Bird season in December and none of the YB's that i flew have shown any symptoms like these two older birds. Also no new additions to the loft.

Very strange.....as they appear in very good health.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Separate them in quet place and monitor their feeding and water intake. To you give vitamins and probiotics to your birds?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Vitamins at least weekly in some form or another and probiotics 2 to 3 times weekly.

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Sounds like you have done all the homework.

Have they been wormed and treated for blood-sucking parasites, are there any other symptoms, what do their poop look like?
Have you checked down their throats for any lesions?

Do you do garlic and ACV alternates in their water?

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
I did a search for "pigeon" and "head tilt". One of the pages that came up was this one: All about the streptococcus in racing pigeons, which says: The organism can also infect the membrane around the brain (leading to poor coordination, loss of balance, or a head tilt),

IMO any disease would have more than that single symptom, but it is worth having a read as two pigeons have been affected which suggests infection.

http://www.vitality.racing-pigeon-post.org/Streptococcus.html

·
Premium Member
9,478 Posts
Hi AJPDP

I agree with you. Head tilting would not indicate PMV to me, and may not even have a neurological cause. An ear infection could have a similar effect. As has been said, though, a vet examination is your best bet.

Do the birds shake their heads at all, as if there is some irritant causing discomfort?

John

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
JOHN D...No head shaking at all.

I tell you that pigeons never cease to amaze me.....there's always somehing new....

Next week it will be something else!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts