Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Pigeons are about 5 to 6 weeks old. I got them in the mail a week or so ago. Could someone tell me how often I should give them vitamins, worm them and any other meds I should give them. I am new at this and need to know it all How, What and When. Thanks

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Hi Norm2475,
Multivitamins - once a week in drinking water.
Wormer you can do it every 6 months i birds go outside.
Anti canker drugs and coccidiosis are also part of routine maintenance.
You can use probiotic, ACV (apple cider vinegar), garlic, minerals, grit.
How what and when depends what are you going to do with your birds.
Racing birds are under lot of stress and in contact with other birds.
Their medication and maintenance is more intensive than in show birds.
Show birds are not under so much stress, but they are in contact with others.
Pet birds are not under stress and in contact with other birds so their maintenance is different.

·
Registered
935 Posts
What type of pigeosn and set up do you have???
Show breeds shouldn't be let out to fly free...as stated indoors birds have a bit more different maintenance.

Knowing what you have, your set up, and the number of birds would help answer questions and give info.

-Hilly

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
More information to help with question

I have 8 white homing pigeons. They are mainly for a hobby but I may release them for a wedding or other events later. I bought a shed and caged in a 4 X 8 side of it and have a avory in the front. Right now i just want to get to know them and train them to fly around the area. The birds are gaining weight and they seem to be doing pretty well but they have started to poop green in the last day or so. They are also getting more tame. They will come eat while I am near the feeder. I have vitamins the canker meds, grit and wormer. I don't understand the probotics. What is that?

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Probiotic is dry gut bacteria for birds. It is also called gut flora. Their role is to help food digestion and keep away bad bacteria. When you use antibiotic on birds, or when the bird is stressed, their number declines. With declining number of good bacteria there is and opening for bad ones. Probiotic keeps bird in balance.:)

·
Registered
935 Posts
I have 8 white homing pigeons. They are mainly for a hobby but I may release them for a wedding or other events later. I bought a shed and caged in a 4 X 8 side of it and have a avory in the front. Right now i just want to get to know them and train them to fly around the area. The birds are gaining weight and they seem to be doing pretty well but they have started to poop green in the last day or so. They are also getting more tame. They will come eat while I am near the feeder. I have vitamins the canker meds, grit and wormer. I don't understand the probotics. What is that?
You will want to for sure keep them caged in for about (I think) 1-3months. This way they will get use to what is their home and leanr how to home to it.
Feeding them by hand will make them tamer....they need to eat about 2ounces each bird a day...feeding them by hand only allows them to get use to you, but not everyone has the time for that.

As stated pro-biotics are healthy/good bacteria. Lots of animals get different forms of it.....bene-bac is a common for cats/dogs/rats/degus.

Do you have nesting boxes made??? Having them in advance is nice...either way by 6-1yr of age they will begin to lay eggs.

A bit of AVC is also good to use in their bath water....

The green stool are you sure they are eating enough?? Are you offering any greens? Is it watery?

It could be something serious or just the stress of being new. All my birds were 9 wks old by the time I got them in the mail. Most breeders preffer to ship them when they are older. It could also be how much water they are taken in, and so pigeons have green poo at times...with nothing to worry about.

BTW fresh dark green veggies, are high in calcium and can be cut up and gave.

Flax seed can help by offering oils for their feathers (make their feathers healthy/shiney). Brewers yeast can be gave to help with loose or watery poo....

Sunlight is also important in a loft and so is verntilation...

-Hilly

·
Registered
795 Posts
Got It Norm? :confused:
This is the best Pigeon Website to learn from!
Learn all you can, everyone's situation is different from everyone elses. :)
That's what is really great abot keeping Pigeons! :cool:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts