Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Nice bird, good to mention the droppings of babies. People who have wet nest should think about how they treated the breeder's before pairing.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Nice bird, good to mention the droppings of babies. People who have wet nest should think about how they treated the breeder's before pairing.
What do you do with your parents before breeding different to any other time of year.I often have wet nests and would like to irradicate this.Many thanks.Oh and he is a very good looking squeaker also.

·
Registered
163 Posts
What do you do with your parents before breeding different to any other time of year.I often have wet nests and would like to irradicate this.Many thanks.Oh and he is a very good looking squeaker also.
I always treat 20 days before pairing with 3 in 1 (canker,cocci,&worms) for 5-7 days, then 2 days probiotics followed by 10 day respiratory with a sulfur drug combo. While they're setting the second round 5 days with 4 in 1 (canker,cocci,worms,&respiratory). Some pairs I take a 3rd round, but I don't treat during this time. I believe the second treatment helps with the stress from all the driving during the pairing period and raising the first round, by the third round everything is like clockwork or it should be ;) This is my first go at widowhood and I'm letting them lay a second round and sit for 5-6 days then pulling the hen and let the cock continue to set until he abandons the eggs. I hope this works, any advice or opinions greatly appreciated :confused:

·
Registered
816 Posts
I always treat 20 days before pairing with 3 in 1 (canker,cocci,&worms) for 5-7 days, then 2 days probiotics followed by 10 day respiratory with a sulfur drug combo. While they're setting the second round 5 days with 4 in 1 (canker,cocci,worms,&respiratory). Some pairs I take a 3rd round, but I don't treat during this time. I believe the second treatment helps with the stress from all the driving during the pairing period and raising the first round, by the third round everything is like clockwork or it should be ;) This is my first go at widowhood and I'm letting them lay a second round and sit for 5-6 days then pulling the hen and let the cock continue to set until he abandons the eggs. I hope this works, any advice or opinions greatly appreciated :confused:
Thanks for the input.I generally worm them a week or two before pairing as arule anyway but will treating them now for coocci, canker etc now just as they are about to lay effect the unborn as such?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Thanks for the input.I generally worm them a week or two before pairing as arule anyway but will treating them now for coocci, canker etc now just as they are about to lay effect the unborn as such?
I've noticed no problems in the breeder loft last year or this year, but my old bird team is mainly yearling's and I had a few non-fertile eggs. I don't think this is from medicating, probably just a yearling thing.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Most of the meds you buy will tell you if they are safe to use durring breeding season. If they dont, I just call the supply house and ask.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have been doing alot of research on this lately because I had some "wet nests" last year and didnt want it to happen again. I talked to an avian vet and was told that wet nest is about a 95% sure sign of internal canker. So what Ive read and been told is if wet nests are presant, treat with Ronidazole 10% for a few days and it should clear up. I dont know but that is what I was told. Has anyone else had experience with this?

·
Registered
816 Posts
I have been doing alot of research on this lately because I had some "wet nests" last year and didnt want it to happen again. I talked to an avian vet and was told that wet nest is about a 95% sure sign of internal canker. So what Ive read and been told is if wet nests are presant, treat with Ronidazole 10% for a few days and it should clear up. I dont know but that is what I was told. Has anyone else had experience with this?
That is very interesting as i had 2 wet nests last year and none of the young survived.Worth looking into.Many thanks.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
In my loft there were two pairs which mainly had terrible wet nests while breeding. All birds were treated for worms twice a year, no signs of canker or other ailments, normal weight, good appetite. So got the poops tested, +ve for cocci, flock treated......... wet nests is now history :)

Yet, honestly, I still do not get such perfect poops from the fledglings :D

·
Registered
163 Posts
In my loft there were two pairs which mainly had terrible wet nests while breeding. All birds were treated for worms twice a year, no signs of canker or other ailments, normal weight, good appetite. So got the poops tested, +ve for cocci, flock treated......... wet nests is now history :)

Yet, honestly, I still do not get such perfect poops from the fledglings :D
This is similar to the problem I had, my first year I was given around 30 pairs of breeders from different flyers. Some pairs had black eggs (paratyphoid) I assume, some had the wet nest (canker). Most of the young that made it from these pairs seemed to pass on this problem. I culled all these parents and children and only kept the best breeders I had which is now 9 pair. Not all these birds were sick or carriers, but without vet test on each I didn't know whether the cock or hen was the problem. Any bird that gets sick 2 or 3 times a year is nothing but trouble for your entire loft IMHO.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts