Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lol ok.. this is weird as I usually take care of stray dogs, not stray pigeons.. But at my college, I was petting a group of 9 cute dogs when i saw this poor pigeon who couldn't fly. Oh, and a 10 month old doggie had eaten another pigeon. So I took it in my hands and quickly discovered what happened; the pigeon was ok, just scared, but her tail feathers and some of her wing feathers were ripped off by a 5 month old puppy who was playing with them. So I took her home and now she's happily eating and drinking water. But can't fly, well, she tries and falls to one side.

The question is, how much time do feathers take to grow? I already checked and she's not injured at all.

I used to take care of baby thrushes, so I know something about birds.

·
Registered
9,868 Posts
Are the feathers pulled out or just broken?
If they are pulled they will grow back much faster, most likely in three weeks she will have all her feathers back. If they are broken, new feathers will replace the damaged ones after the next moult, whever that will be.
Can you post a pic of the bird?

Reti

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the reply!

they're ripped out from the root. i can already see a couple of feathers growing under the skin.

---> taking a pigeon bath <3

-----> missing feathers

-------> no tail

--> half wing.

:O

·
Registered
128 Posts
I'm no expert but is that some mites/lice on the cover in the third photo? If it is I'm sure the people here could tell you what best to treat them with depending on what country you live in. Well done on your rescue and all the best while you look after this little one!

·
Registered
9,868 Posts
It doesn't look too bad. He should be alright in about three weeks, maybe even less.
Before you let him go and after all his feathers grow back you might want to get rid of his lice and bugs with Scalex from the pet store.

Reti

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
It doesn't look too bad. He should be alright in about three weeks, maybe even less.
Before you let him go and after all his feathers grow back you might want to get rid of his lice and bugs with Scalex from the pet store.

Reti
Agree, should be back to normal within a month's time

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks! seems like she has only some lice.. they're long and very thin, can only walk over feathers. i cleaned her wings (yeah, lots of patience) and i'll see how she evolves. right now i have no money left lol, as i said i take stray dogs to the vet, give them meds, etc. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
oh.. i went to see mrs. pigeon this morning and she was dead.. seems like she did a lot of pee and then just died.. didn't eat anything like she did before (ate her whole bowl twice a day).. I'm so sad :( i don't know what could've happened, by tonight she seemed so happy..

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Sorry to hear he/she didn't make it.

She did have some loving care before she passed away, though.

Hard to tell what the problem was. Lack of chalky-white ceres indicates a young bird or a sick adult.

Pigeons, like most prey animals, try to appear as healthy as possible, to avoid attracting attention of predators, and like us humans, to avoid being ostracized. Appearances are often then deceiving.

When I rescue a feral pigeon, I weigh it (on a cheap kitchen digital scale) and feel its keel, breast muscles to see if it has been eating satisfactorily up til then. Et cetera.

Larry

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Ohh sorry to hear that. Since she was drinking and eating well that was suddenly unexpected, but as Larry said, she did have some loving care during her end moments....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
when i saw her dead, i found some poop on her mouth. but there was no poop in the cage (which is a dog one, btw, so it was pretty big).. only some "pee" which looked weird, reddish and even corrosive. why would she have eaten her poop?..

I cleaned it before i went to sleep, btw. and it didn't look dirty this morning either besides what I described, so that was definitely not the reason.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
She may very well have been sick, or the dog probably wouldn't have caught her to begin with. Poor thing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts