Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are new to raising homing pigeons. a month ago one of our pairs hatched two babies and they were fine for a week or so then one died and the other fell from the nest box and was not being tended by the parents. We took it 'under our wing' and it has been thriving with hand feeding and a heat lamp etc. But then last night it developed a flaccid or week leg and foot. It simply can't move its toes or foot or bear weight on that side. I've started adding electrolytes to his water today and am adding pellets to his seed feed so as to increase salt in his diet...we are also doing range of motion on his foot to maintain circulation...not even sure if that is a good idea but I"m a nurse so it seemed like a good idea in human speak. Can anyone tell me if they've had similar problems or any ideas of what is going on with 'peep' and how we can help him?
Thanks in advance.
Carrie

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Check the length of the leg in case there is any thread entangled and cutting off the circulation. I almost lost a toe off of one of my hand reared hatchlings due to a virtually transparent piece of thread - goodness knows where it came from, the vet couldn't even see it properly with his magnifying equipment but it cut right into his soft toe and became embedded. He took off what could barely be seen but damage had been done and the toe is rather rough looking but the nail still has a blood supply and the toe is remaining. So hard to see and because their flesh is so soft it's so easy for it to embed into it.

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
Can you post a pic of the bird and how he is holding the leg?
Do you give him calcium and vit. D3 supplement?
Vitamin B deficiencies can also cause leg paralysis. Does he get vitamins?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. I have him on an electrolyte mix with vitamins and minerals. I think he shows a tiny hit more strength in the leg but not the toes yet.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
He's on a pigeon feed whole grain mix but we added pellet feed yesterday in case the grain was deficient and the powder in his water for vitamin and mineral.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts