Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello everyone,
i found a young pigeon ( he could eat on his own , 2 weeks ago But did not have his little white nose thing yet.
I picked him up because he stood still in a corner, had his eyes with a little bit of crusts, and two pigeons were climbing over him.
i did save a few pigeons, lost some, but I wanted to give him a chance.

so here we go, I took him home, put him in a cardboard box and put seeds and water, and let him in a room where there is no noise….. then I examined him and believed he had coryza as he had mucus flying from his nostrils when he shook his head.
I did all natural treatments for a few days as I read that it was best not to treat immediately with anibiotics because they need to have antibodies for later, he was actually much better with the cold, but still very very tired all the time, I gave him vitamins etc… but one day he stopped eating, I panicked and after asking a couple of people I gave him Baytril ( 2 drops in his beak ) for 5 days, he got immediately better to the point he flew a bit, but he still spent most of his time perched either on one leg or standing on his two legs with his eyes closed ( the eyes were still a bit sore from the coryza , especially one)
Still, I was confident he was on the way to recovery but on the fifth day, again he lost his appetite and starting having a hard time swallowing a lot of seeds, he drank allright.
he went to hide now and then under the bed.

I handled him to clean his eyes every day, he did not like it ( especially the first week) and when I put him back on top of his cardboard, he lingered a bit on my hand but then did go back to his spot ( front of the window) and did not seem to want to be touched that much.
every time I handled him it was gentle but of course he tried to escape when I wanted to give him the antibiotics and clean his eyes.
other than that, I came often in the room to show him the seeds and the water to prompt him to drink and eat .. I handled him now and them to put him on his spot ( the one he enjoyed in front of the window because he could no more fly to it)
I continued with the vitamins but saw that his energy was every day less and on Saturday, I noticed that under all those fluffy feathers he was extremely thin I Panicked again tried to hand feed him peas without much success.
he was weaker, and kept his eyes closed, so that night instead of letting him sleep where he did ( he changed every night his spot ( his choice) I put him in a small cardboard with a heating pad as his little paws were cold, and kept the box by my side.

in the night I woke up in a panic as I was scared he could be dead. He was alived and looked at me,
AND I HAD THE STUPIDIEST IDEA of taking him and putting him on my belly to keep him warm as the heating pad was already cold, he stayed still there on my belly, in the dark, I did not move, only caressed his little head and softly his beak, then in the morning early he passed away.

in my mind if I had not taken him on my belly he would have survived, I can’t forgive myself, I am afraid he died of fear or something, I had him for 15 days alright and spent quite a bit of time with him but apart from once where I petted him like that ( caress his head and beak and he seemed to relax ) I handled him only for the cures ( antibiotic and eye cleaning as gently as I could but he was quite a little rebel) .

i can’t forgive myself, and I don’t understant why he got suddenly worse again after getting better ….and I believe it is stress that killed him at the end…

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
I am sorry he didnt make it. He likely appreciated the warmth of your belly and the comfort. He probably had something virulent. Thank you for trying to help him.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am sorry he didnt make it. He likely appreciated the warmth of your belly and the comfort. He probably had something virulent. Thank you for trying to help him.
Thank you for your words…..Do you really think he felt I wanted to confort him? Do animals feel our intentions?

·
Registered
5,091 Posts
He passed away with your warm hands caressing him, that's the best way for any animal or bird to go. The difficulty swallowing points to either canker or a yeast infection. Canker is very common in fledglings, but can be treated with metronidazole.

Thanks for not letting him die all alone, thanks for trying to help him.

·
Registered
5 Posts
That's sad, I have felt the same but all this is very emotional as they are such beautiful creatures, anyway try not to be so hard on yourself from what I read you didn't do anything to intentionally kill this pigeon.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I honestly had a couple of tears rolling down my face reading this. I really appreciate you taking care of the pigeon. The pigeon passed away in peace in your arms so I really thank you for taking care of it until it's last moments. May god bless you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I honestly had a couple of tears rolling down my face reading this. I really appreciate you taking care of the pigeon. The pigeon passed away in peace in your arms so I really thank you for taking care of it until it's last moments. May god bless you.
Thank you for your kind words... i am still struggling with the sadness of him passing away. He was so brave ... I miss him.
Please do you know if it happens for them to get better than suddenly to deteriorate again ?
i still don't understand .

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
He passed away with your warm hands caressing him, that's the best way for any animal or bird to go. The difficulty swallowing points to either canker or a yeast infection. Canker is very common in fledglings, but can be treated with metronidazole.

Thanks for not letting him die all alone, thanks for trying to help him.
thank you for your kind words.... unfortunately I am having a hard time getting over my sadness for losing him. I still hurt.
I don't understand why he got worse after feeling better for about 4days ( first 4-5 days he struggles with coryza, then got better for 4 days then started to decline - but coryza was over -/til his passing 2 weeks into finding him.

·
Registered
5,091 Posts
It's possible he might have had other issues like canker as well. Baytril can also cause a yeast infection. Difficulty swallowing is a one of the symptoms of canker and yeast and this will show as either cheesy growths or white spots in the throat.

Unfortunately one can't save them all, especially if there's no avian vet around to give advice. I've shed many tears over youngsters I've lost in the past. One gets attached to them very easily. So I know exactly how you are feeling. Rescue does not always have a good outcome. xx

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Dear Marina, I had made sure he did not have any white, cheesy things in his mouth, I checked regularly… I also gave him probiotics I have an avian vet in town but they dislike treating pigeons and as he was getting better I was not overly concerned, I noticed the downturn quite suddenly when I felt how thin he was in spite of eating well. He starting having a hard time with food on his last day. Yes they are adorable, thank you for sharing your experience, I feel so guilty although I spendt so much time taking care of him the best I could. i miss him So much. Xx

·
Registered
794 Posts
hello. welcome to the world of birds. you r right, because a Vet told me once the the reason she did nit choose to b an avian vet is because after all the proper treatments, birds would still pass away. And another Avian Vet was very upset to find his young pet pigeon stiff, the next day, witnessed by me. so be kind to yourself and keep learning about the world of pigeons. sorry and thanks.

·
Registered
69 Posts
hello everyone,
i found a young pigeon ( he could eat on his own , 2 weeks ago But did not have his little white nose thing yet.
I picked him up because he stood still in a corner, had his eyes with a little bit of crusts, and two pigeons were climbing over him.
i did save a few pigeons, lost some, but I wanted to give him a chance.

so here we go, I took him home, put him in a cardboard box and put seeds and water, and let him in a room where there is no noise….. then I examined him and believed he had coryza as he had mucus flying from his nostrils when he shook his head.
I did all natural treatments for a few days as I read that it was best not to treat immediately with anibiotics because they need to have antibodies for later, he was actually much better with the cold, but still very very tired all the time, I gave him vitamins etc… but one day he stopped eating, I panicked and after asking a couple of people I gave him Baytril ( 2 drops in his beak ) for 5 days, he got immediately better to the point he flew a bit, but he still spent most of his time perched either on one leg or standing on his two legs with his eyes closed ( the eyes were still a bit sore from the coryza , especially one)
Still, I was confident he was on the way to recovery but on the fifth day, again he lost his appetite and starting having a hard time swallowing a lot of seeds, he drank allright.
he went to hide now and then under the bed.

I handled him to clean his eyes every day, he did not like it ( especially the first week) and when I put him back on top of his cardboard, he lingered a bit on my hand but then did go back to his spot ( front of the window) and did not seem to want to be touched that much.
every time I handled him it was gentle but of course he tried to escape when I wanted to give him the antibiotics and clean his eyes.
other than that, I came often in the room to show him the seeds and the water to prompt him to drink and eat .. I handled him now and them to put him on his spot ( the one he enjoyed in front of the window because he could no more fly to it)
I continued with the vitamins but saw that his energy was every day less and on Saturday, I noticed that under all those fluffy feathers he was extremely thin I Panicked again tried to hand feed him peas without much success.
he was weaker, and kept his eyes closed, so that night instead of letting him sleep where he did ( he changed every night his spot ( his choice) I put him in a small cardboard with a heating pad as his little paws were cold, and kept the box by my side.

in the night I woke up in a panic as I was scared he could be dead. He was alived and looked at me,
AND I HAD THE STUPIDIEST IDEA of taking him and putting him on my belly to keep him warm as the heating pad was already cold, he stayed still there on my belly, in the dark, I did not move, only caressed his little head and softly his beak, then in the morning early he passed away.

in my mind if I had not taken him on my belly he would have survived, I can’t forgive myself, I am afraid he died of fear or something, I had him for 15 days alright and spent quite a bit of time with him but apart from once where I petted him like that ( caress his head and beak and he seemed to relax ) I handled him only for the cures ( antibiotic and eye cleaning as gently as I could but he was quite a little rebel) .

i can’t forgive myself, and I don’t understant why he got suddenly worse again after getting better ….and I believe it is stress that killed him at the end…
I know it's awful. He most likely had something awful. You did amazing job. I love my birds so much. I hope you got some pictures of the baby so you can remember him. I know it's so upsetting. Just baby's time. There are more you can help later, please stay happy and helpful.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts