Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love the birds that visit especially my beloved Waldorf (the first bird that started this back in may and he's still not home :( ) and I enjoy feeding them and looking after them (cleaning up after them etc) I even play bird music and they enjoy listening to it. But i live in an apartment and I don't want to get in trouble so i removed the food and newspaper (except from my chairs to keep them safe for the winter) and boxes and i only left a container of water and a towel under my gardening shelf. This is breaking my heart I love them and I love interacting with them. During coVid they have given me peace and entertainment (especially waldorf's antics when he first started coming around) and enjoyment and healing (we lost my brother to suicide in August) they've given me something to look forward to to come home to. But other people don't share the same love as we do for nature. I don't want the birds to hate me thinking that I'm the big mean lady who stopped feeding them. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
You should start feeding them less over a period of time. That way they will learn to go elsewhere for food. Has people been complaining? Unfortunately the numbers will only increase when one starts leaving out food.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You should start feeding them less over a period of time. That way they will learn to go elsewhere for food. Has people been complaining? Unfortunately the numbers will only increase when one starts leaving out food.
No no one has complained no one has said nothing at all, but they have started to bring friends lol up until the first week of August it was just Waldorf and his mate Statler and only a few others. How often is less? I still have the food but I put it away I only left water and a towel under my gardening shelf for them. I completely cleaned up everything no boxes and newspaper or food. I told them tearfully that I loved them regardless of what I was doing. and it was sooo heartbreaking seeing them stand there waiting for food I felt sooo bad and it broke my heart i love them. Years ago we only hand raised one bird because we lived in a house in a neighborhood not the middle of the city like I do now. I dont see it a problem if I let them sit there and feel safe as long as I don't feed them what do you think?

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
If you want to continue feeding them, just stick to a certain amount of seeds. The more food you put down, the more the numbers will increase.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Do you have a local park you could try feeding them at? I've got a feral flock living in the roof next door who frequent my balcony that I started feeding during COVID but the neighbours complained. We now go feed them at the park instead, aside from some of the younguns & a few beloveds who I'll usually grab & smuggle inside to sneak them some seed if they come looking. Good luck with your friends! I don't know what I'd do without mine...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Do you have a local park you could try feeding them at? I've got a feral flock living in the roof next door who frequent my balcony that I started feeding during COVID but the neighbours complained. We now go feed them at the park instead, aside from some of the younguns & a few beloveds who I'll usually grab & smuggle inside to sneak them some seed if they come looking. Good luck with your friends! I don't know what I'd do without mine...
I agree I love them. No one has complained but my mom has told me to stop before anyone does. So I left a bowl of water and a dry towel under my gardening shelf. There's nothing wrong with that is there? and I took away the food (breaking my heart). Last night I was making my lunch for today and they were wanting my attention knocking on the door to come in I kept telling them I can't (broke my heart) so here I am looking at them knowing that they want food and watching them huddle by the door all puffed up ugh this is breaking me. We have lots of parks but I think we have bylaws that say you can't feed them unless birds are on your property and that they don't bug the neighbour's. No one has complained but my mom noticed bird poop on other balconies and does want anyone complaining she doesn't want the birds to get me kicked out. She even said to the birds that they were going to get me in trouble. Ugh! So I haven't fed them since Saturday morning and they still hang around and wait on various balconies

·
Registered
50 Posts
You should be right leaving water out... I certainly do, & haven't gotten in trouble yet, for THAT at least... luckily we've got a bunch of native birds that also visit our balconies, so I'm kinda using them as an alibi, if need be. LOL Pigeons are creatures of habit, so once they realise you're not good for a free meal they'll start exploring to find food instead, apparently. It sucks you can't go feed them at a park - some places are strict like that... I was kinda expecting it to be like that here, but I checked, & we're all good, thank goodness! If you're worried they're hungry, you could go for a casual walk, perhaps under the cover of darkness, & scatter some seeds sneakily at the park or on median strips - that's what I was planning on doing if it turned out it was against the law here.

My neighbours hate my flock, so your mum's worries are definitely valid. A few months ago I saw a pest proofing van pull up next door, where the accidental pigeon loft is - they've created a part of the building that's perfectly suited to pigeons, so a bunch of them live there. I was distraught, thinking they were going to poison them, or shut the nest area off with birds inside, but instead they put up these stupid spinny things that are supposed to scare birds off, then closed off the wrong bit - not even the entrance - & left. Phew! I'm hoping they don't realise their mistake. It's not the flock's fault they built a perfect home for them, albeit accidentally.

Honestly, if people took the time to get to know pigeons, like we both have, there'd be far less hate for them in the world. They're such personable little birdos! I hope your friends chill out about wanting seed, but still hang out. It's hard to say no to them, that's for sure!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
You should be right leaving water out... I certainly do, & haven't gotten in trouble yet, for THAT at least... luckily we've got a bunch of native birds that also visit our balconies, so I'm kinda using them as an alibi, if need be. LOL Pigeons are creatures of habit, so once they realise you're not good for a free meal they'll start exploring to find food instead, apparently. It sucks you can't go feed them at a park - some places are strict like that... I was kinda expecting it to be like that here, but I checked, & we're all good, thank goodness! If you're worried they're hungry, you could go for a casual walk, perhaps under the cover of darkness, & scatter some seeds sneakily at the park or on median strips - that's what I was planning on doing if it turned out it was against the law here.

My neighbours hate my flock, so your mum's worries are definitely valid. A few months ago I saw a pest proofing van pull up next door, where the accidental pigeon loft is - they've created a part of the building that's perfectly suited to pigeons, so a bunch of them live there. I was distraught, thinking they were going to poison them, or shut the nest area off with birds inside, but instead they put up these stupid spinny things that are supposed to scare birds off, then closed off the wrong bit - not even the entrance - & left. Phew! I'm hoping they don't realise their mistake. It's not the flock's fault they built a perfect home for them, albeit accidentally.

Honestly, if people took the time to get to know pigeons, like we both have, there'd be far less hate for them in the world. They're such personable little birdos! I hope your friends chill out about wanting seed, but still hang out. It's hard to say no to them, that's for sure!
I feel sooo bad not feed them I saw them waiting for me on my balcony and I came in quiet trying to not let them see me lol but they saw me. I love them there's a few that peck at the door wanting inside and I feel sooo bad.

No one has said anything to me about it yet and Waldorf was the first one to come around since May and it was my mom who suggested that I put food in my feeder to see if I'd get a cardinal or Bluejay nope pigeons...... We used to hand raise one 10 yrs ago I called him cheepcheep. He came when called and he rode the dogs back and was the leader of the line waiting to come in lol so when I found Waldorf I was hoping it to be the same just the one maybe 2 not a whole family reunion ugh. I love them but others don't.

One time I kept the door open for air and one came in while I was on the phone with my mom he sat at my door looked around and left and once while playing calming music that same one I think it was came in and sat next to me beside the keyboard as I explained I'm playing birdie music and "grandma" ie my mom doesn't want you guys in here then he jumped down and walked along the heater and went outside.

I haven't seen my beloved Waldorf since Nov 9th or 10th I miss him soooo much. I have falcons nearby at a close hotel chain where they have their nest and their protected birds..... Ugh sooo stupid. I haven't fed them since Saturday morning and they are still coming by sitting here hoping to get food and looking at me and I feel sooo bad about eating when they are here so I wait till it gets dark around 4 and they leave so I can eat I hate eating and not giving them food to eat. Below is Waldorf's picture I took October 25th.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts