Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
13,048 Posts
I use an oil filled electric heater. I keep it on low unless it's really bitter out and then adjust higher accordingly.
I believe Jay3 uses one too and she is also in Ma..

·
Registered
13,048 Posts
Can you cover the open area with clear plastic?

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
The cold itself usually doesn't bother them as long as they have a dry shelter where they can get out of the wind and, of course, you give them fresh water every day along with plenty of good food. Of course youngsters in the nest may be a different story and need some additional heat.

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
I have a open coop(lots of air flow) should I close it up more in the winter
Heat would not help much if your loft/coop is open much to the air. Yes you should prep it for winter. Plastic And leave some air exchange. Then you may not have to use any heat at all. But might think of the water. either change it out 2 times dailyt. Or get heaters for the water as long as the birds have good shelter water and feed they surive well. far as winter breeding That depends on how low your temps get. Might just wait until end of feburary to put the birds together.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
I use the oil filled radiator heater also. It's easy to keep a pretty steady temp with it, and their are supposed to be pretty safe. I do close it up more for the winter months. I adjust the windows so they still get air circulation, but not nearly as much as in the cold months, and I also run a fan for a couple of hours a day when I get home, to blow out air, and it does change the air very quickly. If you don't heat, then you should close it up a bit more during the cold months. It gets pretty cold around here.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
If the pigeons stay DRY,and there is no snow/rain getting in the loft,the birds need NO HEAT.....If you are breeding early,you need a water heater..That`s it...Let me know WHO is putting a heater outside to keep the wild pigeons,and any other birds warm....I have had my pigeons since 1983/84...I have never had electric in my lofts...So you know I`m telling it like it is....I have STRONG pigeons....They are hard to kill...I had many live to over 14 yrs old.....The oldest birds were 17 & 18 when they died..The 18 yr old was had by a hawk...He could still fly well,even at 18 yrs old....I don`t medicate my stock birds...They are either healthy all their lives,or else !!! Alamo
PS:They have 10,000 feathers to keep them warm !!!

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
I know most don't heat their lofts, but if it is very open, then I think it should be more closed up in the colder months in New England. Those winds blow cold and strong. Maybe closing it up a bit more is all you need.

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
I don't use a heater in my lofts either. I cover the flight cages with plastic to keep the wind out, leaving just enough open for ventilation. Everybody gets wormed late fall (worm infestation can weaken a bird). Water stays out in the flight cage (changed twice a day at feeding), to keep the inside loft dry.
If your loosing birds in the cold weather, I would say they are in a weakened state for some reason (worms, coccidia, etc). Healthy birds with dry shelter/loft, fresh water and good feed should be fine in the cold weather.

·
Registered
13,048 Posts
what can I use to heat my coop I seem to loose a couple birds every winter due to cold any suggestions
Well now, he did say the above and so he feels the need to give heat to his birds. He didn't ask whether heat is necessary.He asked for heating suggestions.
We have all seen our birds huddled in the cold and I know they do like the warmth. Mine, fight each other over sitting on the heater and they are in an insulated room with lights. Not to mention that I'm talking about Oregon and not a colder state!
There was a member here from Michigan that had a couple of her birds freeze solid when it was extremely cold and she had a loft that was winterized.

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
Well now, he did say the above and so he feels the need to give heat to his birds. He didn't ask whether heat is necessary.He asked for heating suggestions.
We have all seen our birds huddled in the cold and I know they do like the warmth. Mine, fight each other over sitting on the heater and they are in an insulated room with lights. Not to mention that I'm talking about Oregon and not a colder state!
There was a member here from Michigan that had a couple of her birds freeze solid when it was extremely cold and she had a loft that was winterized.
Fine Charis. :rolleyes:
So to answer his question.....ONLY. Oil filled heater

·
Registered
511 Posts
once you provide heat in the loft. any air coming in will be a draft(colder than the air inside the loft). not sure that its such a great idea.a heat pad area might be better.i wonder what the people in alaska do with there pigeon coops. anyone on here from alaska?

·
Registered
96 Posts
I live in PA and my loft is 4 x 4 x 4 with one screened in side which I cover with plexiglas. This side has a southern exposure allowing maximum sunshine which helps significantly to warm the loft during the day and kills bacteria on the floor. The does freeze overnight but I change it out everyday. The birds do fine. Most importantly like their wild bretheren, they must have protection from the elments in the winter, but heat is not necessarry here.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
If you have RACING PIGEONS....You keep them DRY...Feed 60% Corn,and 40% Barley if NOT BREEDING early....If your breeding early,NO Barley,but add the regular feed mixture of peas etc..Racing pigeons don`t need heat...They need the owner to use his/her head in the way they feed etc...If you have FANCY PIGEONS,give them heat....They probally will be better off if you did...They don`t have to race 500/600 miles etc...But racing pigeons need to be kept as NATURAL as possible to build a STRONG FAMILY of racers and breeders....Alamo

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.