Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, All.

About six hours ago I found a squeaker in the middle of a road that was wildly flapping his wings and using one of its legs to push his body in circles on the pavement.
I scooped him up and he was trembling fiercely. I have nine pijis of mine own and have rescued squeakers before, and have never seen anything like this.
I brought him home, put him in a cage and let him be for a while. A couple of hours later, he seemed more stabilized and so I used an eyedropper to give him some water with salt/sugar.
A bit later still, I tried to feed him thawed peas and corn, and he kept pushing them out with his tongue. I only managed to get two peas down. At first one of his eyes kept closing while the other remained open, but now both eyes want to close. Before he was standing, and just now he's laying down, fluffed up, eyes closed. I'm not confident he'll survive.
I'm have his cage on top of my most severely handicapped piji's cage. Is there anything she can catch that is airborne?
Should I wake the squeaker and try to get him to drink/eat more?
Thoughts?

·
Registered
13,047 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Charis. It was quite hot where I found him. I've started up the heating pad (we have the AC set to 80), and he just a while ago enthusiastically drank water. He also picked up some of the seed, but didn't swallow it. He's standing now, but eyes closed and feathers fluffed.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Does he still have yellow fuz?
Is he very thin?

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
I doubt they are there on Sunday but did you know that this clinic will examine for free?

Flamingo Pet Clinic
2675 E. Flamingo Rd
Las Vegas, NV 89121
(702) 920-3995
This clinic provides free exams.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No yellow fuzz, and he is very thin, but he still makes the cute squeaking sound, so he's still young. I've been to that clinic before, they are angels. If nothing changes by Monday, I'll bring him in.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Good. Wouldn't be a bad idea to have one of the doctors check him out even if he is better on Monday.
Do you have canker medications?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's funny, last night, before I found the pij, I ordered some. But it probably won't be here for at least a week.
He's a lot more alert now. The heat and water must have done the trick. He keeps on picking up seed, but he hasn't figured out how to swallow them. I'll keep feeding him peas and corn until he's able to eat on his own.
He's made a few good poops, too. :)
Charis, you've been a wonderful help. Thank you. I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The squeaker has made a significant improvement. I'm still unsure what he was experiencing yesterday when I found him, but he is full of vigor today! He really wants to be released, and is eating very well, but he still hasn't figured out the drinking thing, so we'll wait a few days.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Glad the squeaker has made such an improvement with your support! Whatever the cause, his system has definitely been stressed so treating for trichomonas is important. Since your order won't have come in yet, perhaps you can get some at the vet. Hope he continues to improve!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts