Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed this past week my birds are panting after flying...I'm concerned about a possible resp problem...I must note that temps have jumped up 10-15 degrees lately....they are flying in weather no hotter than 90. The take flight and do thier thing as normal, but when they come in they are almost all panting. I have not had any coughing/sneezing that I have seen. I looked over all the birds and they seem visually fine. The birds are 7-8 months old and fly for 25-45 minutes daily and get road tossed 2x daily on sat and sunday.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
As the tep and humidity goes up they will pant after flying.

What I would do is go into the loft after dark when the birds are all at rest and calm. Just stand there in the dark and listen. If you can hear any breathing or rasping you have a problem.

If you can not hear any breathing then pick up a few of the birds one at a time and hold their head to your ear. If you can hear them breathing you have a problem.

You should not be able to hear a healthy pigeon breath when it is calm and at rest.

Ace

·
Guardian Angel
4,163 Posts
HI Jason,I bet its been hoooer then 90 in Escondido, its been over 90 here at my place in Oceanside I know its alway hotter inland. birds do not have sweat glands and have to pant to cool off its the same of dogs they also pant to cool off.However do as someone said in one of the earlier post check the loft in the dark. listen for rasping or coughing. Will you be racing yb and when is the Palomar clubs first race ,i just might come by and pay a vist . GEORGE;)

·
Registered
812 Posts
Jason,
Just a thought, add a bit of salt and suger to the water. It gets really hot and dry here in Bangladesh,I've noticed friends birds 'heavy breathing' after flights. Might help, just a thought, peace :)

·
Registered
671 Posts
I have the same problem when I let them out too late. Humidity and sun makes them do that. When I toss them or loft fly them . I do it early in the morning. Me being in New York. Thats from 6:30 to 7:30 am here. Nice in cool in them hours the birds love it.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
George...I'll be racing these birds with them...I recieved an E-mail that the next meeting will be Tuesday Sept 7th......they left the where part out....they had the last in Falbrook, but I understand the clubhouse is in San Marcos. I've been over and spoken with Carl Cartareli(VERY nice guy). They have very few members flying yb's so they are not flying AU.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts