Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my boi have dry pox on its butt
Do toothpaste work i've been reading these about chicken pox you can treat it with toothpaste and iodine i gave him some tiny bit of tumeric for the immune system 馃槶馃槶馃槶馃槶

Registered
my boi have dry pox on its butt
Do toothpaste work i've been reading these about chicken pox you can treat it with toothpaste and iodine i gave him some tiny bit of tumeric for the immune system 馃槶馃槶馃槶馃槶
Do not put anything on the pox unless it is a pox creme made for birds. Toothpaste, iodine, and other so called help can hurt the pox nodules, make them scab over, open up, crack up and then get seriously infected and become necrotic. Pox itself can cause deep scars but to make the nodules infected or more irritated can cause bird to loss function in that part of the body or suffer other serious damage. Pox is best treated by adding vitamins to birds food or water, having minerals available, having good food, keeping the pigeon in a dry and very clean environment, warm and cozy as they run their course.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do not put anything on the pox unless it is a pox creme made for birds. Toothpaste, iodine, and other so called help can hurt the pox nodules, make them scab over, open up, crack up and then get seriously infected and become necrotic. Pox itself can cause deep scars but to make the nodules infected or more irritated can cause bird to loss function in that part of the body or suffer other serious damage. Pox is best treated by adding vitamins to birds food or water, having minerals available, having good food, keeping the pigeon in a dry and very clean environment, warm and cozy as they run their course.
Thank you Soo muchhh I had a bird that has pox it died 馃槶馃槶鉂 is there any home remedies to make it heal quickly I'm in a poor country right now

Registered
Thank you Soo muchhh I had a bird that has pox it died 馃槶馃槶鉂 is there any home remedies to make it heal quickly I'm in a poor country right now
Pigeon pox is a viral disease. There is nothing you can give your pigeon to fight the disease better than support like being clean, warm, relaxed, with vitamins, minerals and rich food. In case you notice pox nodules are very big, open, oozing, irritated and red or bleeding, best thing is to add also antibiotic to prevent secondary infections. Enrofloxacine is OK for this or any general bird antibiotic. It can be given for 6 days to get the nodules calm again. I had many rescued babies with pox and in external or dry pox, or even mixed pox usually it is OK. Just if the beak is blocked by a nodule some hand feeding with very narrow soft tube is recommended so the pigeon doesn't loose strength because it can't eat. But with wet or internal pox sometimes nothing can help as nodules develop on internal organs and cause blockages in guts, internal bleeding and sepsis due to necrotic tissue inside. In those case you do everything and it is not enough. I am also in undeveloped country that had poor vets and so far I would just make sure during 14 days that the pigeon is eating - weighing it to be sure it maintains body mass, feed pellets and smaller seed especially some dehusked sunflower and saflower seed, add vitamins in water, add a bit of crushed pigeon minerals over food, make everything clean especially nodules on the vent and make sure no nodules are damaged. Look closely if there are nodules in the eye sometimes if there is rubbing on the eye you can get some eye ointment without corticosteroids to just lubricate the area to prevent damage.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pigeon pox is a viral disease. There is nothing you can give your pigeon to fight the disease better than support like being clean, warm, relaxed, with vitamins, minerals and rich food. In case you notice pox nodules are very big, open, oozing, irritated and red or bleeding, best thing is to add also antibiotic to prevent secondary infections. Enrofloxacine is OK for this or any general bird antibiotic. It can be given for 6 days to get the nodules calm again. I had many rescued babies with pox and in external or dry pox, or even mixed pox usually it is OK. Just if the beak is blocked by a nodule some hand feeding with very narrow soft tube is recommended so the pigeon doesn't loose strength because it can't eat. But with wet or internal pox sometimes nothing can help as nodules develop on internal organs and cause blockages in guts, internal bleeding and sepsis due to necrotic tissue inside. In those case you do everything and it is not enough. I am also in undeveloped country that had poor vets and so far I would just make sure during 14 days that the pigeon is eating - weighing it to be sure it maintains body mass, feed pellets and smaller seed especially some dehusked sunflower and saflower seed, add vitamins in water, add a bit of crushed pigeon minerals over food, make everything clean especially nodules on the vent and make sure no nodules are damaged. Look closely if there are nodules in the eye sometimes if there is rubbing on the eye you can get some eye ointment without corticosteroids to just lubricate the area to prevent damage.
Can use like aspirin or something cause Im in a poor country i have nothing for pigeons here 馃槶馃槶馃槗

Registered
Aspirin is for us analgetic but for birds very toxic, as is most medications for humans. Aspirin should never be given to birds in any case. Viral diseases can not be treated, there is no cure for a virus, except vaccines. So no matter what you give the pigeon it will not cure the pox nor will it speed up the recovery. Antibiotics kill bacteria, not viruses, but they also suppress immune system, so they should be given only if necessary - if the pox nodules get infected, because antibiotics will slow down the recovery from the virus.
In case you really don't have any way to get a bird specific antibiotic, and you really need it, you can give Amoxicillin with clavulanic acid, 30 mg a day for adult, 15 mg for a baby.But this only if there are secondary infections.
As for the virus it will run its course in two weeks, so best thing you can do is maintain hygiene, make sure the pigeon is eating and drinking, keep it where it is warm and where it can rest and be not bothered by other pigeons, animals or humans.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Aspirin is for us analgetic but for birds very toxic, as is most medications for humans. Aspirin should never be given to birds in any case. Viral diseases can not be treated, there is no cure for a virus, except vaccines. So no matter what you give the pigeon it will not cure the pox nor will it speed up the recovery. Antibiotics kill bacteria, not viruses, but they also suppress immune system, so they should be given only if necessary - if the pox nodules get infected, because antibiotics will slow down the recovery from the virus.
In case you really don't have any way to get a bird specific antibiotic, and you really need it, you can give Amoxicillin with clavulanic acid, 30 mg a day for adult, 15 mg for a baby.But this only if there are secondary infections.
As for the virus it will run its course in two weeks, so best thing you can do is maintain hygiene, make sure the pigeon is eating and drinking, keep it where it is warm and where it can rest and be not bothered by other pigeons, animals or humans.
Thannnnkksss Soo muchhh 馃槂馃槂馃槂馃槂馃槂

1 - 7 of 7 Posts