Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

About a year ago I rescued what I think is a Cumulet. He had a puncture wound in his wing. The wing has gone from hanging and little movement to being unnoticeable and having full movement.

The pigeon is large and white with textured feathers around its neck. He likes to interact with people by cooing and dancing.

Lately I have been home less and starting to think more about what would be good for him. So here are my questions:

He really seems to want to fly. I am don't really like birds in cages and wonder if he should be out flying (alone or in a flock). Do owners let these birds fly?

Should he be in a flock and not a solitary bird?

What is a good food choice?

Thanks,
Subforry
Hermosa Beach, CA

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
No domestic pigeons should be out flying alone. And a domestic pigeon should not be released into a feral flock. They are hawk bait, and will be grabbed quickly. He also has no idea of how to survive outside free. And being white, a bird of pray would notice him at once. He would stand out among the others, so a BOP would zoom right in on him. So he really would not have a chance out there.

If you feel that you now don't have the time for him, then finding him another home would be a good solution. Where are you located?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts