Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
Kevin,

Read your ordinance code as to where you can put your loft. As much as possible face the front to the south or southeast to get lots of sun. Your yard is big enough, but those trees definitely can give advantage to hawks. Where the dog is located on the first picture seems to be the best place. It is open there. You can't put your loft near the chairs because that would be against ordinance code. It is too close to the house.

You can try starter loft like this: http://www.redroselofts.com/starter_loft.htm. It is better if you can divide the inside into 2 areas: one for your breeder, the other for your flier.

If you start with breeding pairs, then those might end up as prisoners( birds that are not released). I would get 3 different breeding pairs at the least though and not related. Or you can get young birds (less than 2 months old) that you can resettle and fly.

If you want flying breed, then I recommend pure homers. You can try rollers, too, but LA seems full of hawks....From experience mix homers are not that good. I have those.

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
The ordinance tells you how far to put your loft away from your house (50 feet) or other institutions (100).

My recommendations was for your loft to be located where it gets lots of sun and has clearings for birds to see and fly and that is not close to a tree where a predator (hawks) can set up an ambush and kill your birds. I ended up putting my loft under a tree because I had no choice. It is the farthest between myself and my neighbor. They get lots of sun in the afternoon, but barely in the morning because of other trees. I fly my birds almost all the time and they sun themselves.

As I said before find the spot that is far away (50 feet) and build there. Your choice of what do you think is good. The goal of a loft is to have lots of air, sun and the inside is dry. Obviously they better have space clearing where they can take off and land unhindered. Good luck!

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
windaideaviary,

I think you may be right! We can keep them closer. When I read the code for San Diego, they are concern about diseases so they recommended certain distance away from the house. Now, having reread LA ordinance code it does sound like it is okay to keep those birds within 50 feet. Kevin has a free choice where to put the loft then. Thanks for the clarification!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.