Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hello 2 of my baby pigeons have died and i do not know why ive been hand feeding them until about 2 days ago as they have started picking up seed on their own ive looked at then closely and ive notices something white coming out of their beaks its a weird substance white in colour and it looks like very small seeds what could this be please help i dont want any more dying. :(

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes i was hand feeding them thawed corn and they were seperated from other pigeons alone in a loft by themselves.

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
You stopped feeding them? They couldn't possibly have been eating well on their own yet. Why did you not continue feeding them and giving water? These babies were to young to take care of themselves. Those are insect eggs. Looks like flies got them, and laid eggs. These are babies and should have been inside where you could monitor them and continue feeding them. You just left them on their own. That's why they died.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Even though i stopped hand feeding them i made sure they were eating and drinking by showing them to the water and feeling their crops to see if it was full or not and it was usually full and if it was not full then i would again hand feed them even though they were weaned so i did not leave them alone. Also they day before the babies had absolutely no symptoms or any signs of behavioral change and i check on them about 5 times a day so i do moniter them and their diet very closely.

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
You say that now, but first you said you had stopped feeding. Could they even drink on their own? Showing them the water isn't enough.

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
They were fine, now they have died. They should have been inside and being closely monitored.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes i stopped feeding because they were eating on their own i know this because i watched then eat and felt their crops and saw it was full and i didnt only show them to the water i dipped my finger inside the water and after they would come and also dip their beak in the water and start drinking it so i did see them eating and drinking

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
I was monitering then closely and i noticed nothing out of the norm and they were fully feathered so they did not die of being cold.
You didn't feed them long enough, and you didn't monitor them close enough. They were just babies. They couldn't do without being hand fed and watered. It should have been defrosted and warmed peas, not corn. Those are easy to digest, and hold a lot of moisture.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
The poor babies, just by the fact that they have for eggs in their beaks goes to show how open they were to outside influences. They should have been inside being cared for away from insect attack and just because they ate a few seeds doesn't mean they are weaned, far from it. Poor things.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I checked their crops like i said about 5 times everyday and if it wasnt full then even though they were weaned i would again hand feed them so im pretty sure the cause pf their death is not cause of not being fed because i know for sure they were well fed and they were drinking

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Once again, it is not that they were NOT fed, it was IN fact, that they were not fed the right food, at the right temp, babies were not monitored and kept WARM and indoors. First, babies need to be kept WARM, then fed WARM food and FED ONLY when crop is empty, and fed the RIGHT KIND of food.

Here is a link on everything you need to know about caring for baby pigeons. http://www.pigeonrescue.co.uk/caringforababypigeon.htm

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well ive been doing pretty much the same routine since i got them all so how come they didnt die when they were younger and even more vulnerable but instead died when they were very close to being a fully grown pigeon?

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
These babies were not 3 to 4 weeks old as you had thought they were. They didn't look even 2 weeks. One still had quills because the feathers hadn't opened yet. You only had them for 10 days. THEY WERE BABIES. Instead of refusing to take responsibility, you should be trying to learn about what you should have done for these babies. Maybe you can save the last one, if he is still alive, and you could prevent this from happening again.
Or if you ever end up having to raise any of your birds babies. But instead, you are defending how you raised them, and refusing to take any responsibility. You need to stop and learn what you are doing. You also need to see that these are babies, not nearly full grown pigeons. You checked on them so well that flies had time to come in and lay maggot eggs in their beaks. These poor things suffered and died because they were not cared for properly.
You really need to try to save the last one. Get him out of there and in a cage in the house and feed the poor thing properly.

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
Sky, I understand why the picture was removed, but I think it should have stayed to show others who read this what can happen if they don't learn and take care of babies. It helps to demonstrate what can happen. And would serve to wake a lot of people up.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Jay3 i have literally followed everything you have instructed me to do in the other thread along with many other peoples help so i really dont know what went wrong but what do you suggest i do with the other baby he is fully feathered and has a small tail grown and i see him eating although he is eating he still comes and pecks at me for food which after he does that then i check his crop and if it is not full then i do hand feed him so what differently should i do with him

Attachments

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
If they were in a cage inside, then you could better monitor how much they are actually eating on their own. They start by pecking at the seed, but aren't really eating enough if any at that point. Watch to see how much he is eating, and if not enough than you supplement. When a hand reared baby starts to wean, Let him eat on his own in the morning. See how well he does by how much feed is gone, and how much he is pooping. If by noon he hasn't eaten all that he should, then feed him. Then give him an amount of seed and check it at the end of the day. If he hasn't eaten what he should, then feed him the 30 peas. You want to encourage them to try to eat, but can't let them starve because they aren't eating enough, or dehydrate because they aren't drinking.
Keep dipping his beak into the water, but not over the nostrils, until he learns to drink.
If they were eating and not drinking, then that would kill them. By leaving them outside, you don't even know if the crops were emptying. The same food could have sat there in the crop for days. How would you know any of that if they weren't in cages being monitored. You don't know what they were eating or drinking or pooping.
I would check way down this little ones throat with a flashlight to see if there is anything down there. All this stress can cause canker, and he isn't feathered out under his chin yet. He should be.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
That's so sad to hear. This shows how babies could suffer when parents are relocated while raising kids. So sorry for them. Poor babies.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts