Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I live in Wichita Falls, TX. I inherited a flock of pigeons several years ago from my parents. My dad raised pigeons my whole life and we he passed they were left to my mom, then to me in 2015. About a month ago after 2 babies hatched in the pen, I noticed the parents weren't on the nest keeping the squabs warm. I came back a few hours later and both squabs were dead. This week I was alarmed to see yet again 2 newly hatched babies sitting in the nest alone in the cold. Rather than leave them there to die, I brought them into the house and have started feeding them Kaytee baby bird formula. First try didn't go so well but after a few tries got them to eat using the balloon method over a small bottle. Day 2 went okay but had to get my brother to feed several times bc I had to leave town all day. Long story short - I'm not sure what went wrong but both squabs have what seems to be a lot of air trapped in their crops. I just fed them a little watered down apple sauce since I read somewhere on this website that it would help. My question is - Was that the right thing to do? How long will it take for the air to subside if it works? Also What body temp should they be? I'm afraid of over heating them. Please help asap! I will probably take them to the vet tomorrow. I tried wild bird rescue that first day but they are never in the office and I can't get them to return my call. Thank you!!

Attachments

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
The heat is quite important for the food to digest. Keep them at 35-38 degrees Celsius. You can gently massage the crop for the air to come out. When feeding them, make sure they don't gulp air. They will eat, then draw back to breath and then continue eating. When they draw back to eat, level the syringe so that food don't get in the airway. You can watch some video's on youtube: just type in "feeding baby pigeon".

1 - 2 of 2 Posts