Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a cock that was fine yesterday, and when I went to the loft to feed this morning he could not stand or fly. His body and feet are cold and his breathing is very showllow. This has been one of my best breeders and I have had this bird for a year and it has never been sick.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Ozzy, the first thing I would do is open his mouth and make sure there is nothing obstructing his glottis, windpipe opening, take your time and then see if there is anything, like a seed that has made its way into the top of the windpipe, blocking his breathing, use a flashlight for better lighting. If this shows nothing obvious, I would advise getting him to a vet ASAP, as when there are problems with breathing, this is a critical state for them and they usually need professional help right away.

Good luck with him,

Karyn

·
Registered
157 Posts
It is advised that when you have a very sick pigeon that you bring them in and place them next to a heat source.

Of course if you can take them to a vet as soon as possible.
Unnatural breathing is very often a sign that they do not have many hours left.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, I wemt to my loft and the bird is flying now and able to stand. It is eating and drinking, but it's staying real close to the ground or on the floor of the loft, its breathing is ok now, so what do I do now???

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Please bring him in and put him in a cage with a heating pad set on the low setting. Give him food and water and monitor his eating and drinking and poop.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Did you have a look inside of his mouth? To get an idea of how he is breathing, could you count how many breaths he is taking in 1 minute? Do this when he is calm, not right after flight. Was this truly sudden onset, or do you think there is a possibility that you just might have missed he has been not feeling 100%? Just so we know, do you have any meds around, if so what kind?

Karyn

1 - 7 of 7 Posts