Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, of the days for me to finally find a pigeon:eek: I came across one! but...he's not in the best shape... anyway does anybody live in the Henderson/Vegas area?

This poor guy is at a car wash and looks sick and covered in oil. He's just standing there, blinking and barely moved his droppings also were green.

I had called different numbers for animal control and left a message at a 24 hour service. Don't know if anyone will pick him up or call me back. I tried feeding him but he hardly moved.

(Want more info? just ask)

I think he's young too cause the cere on his beak is pink but he does seem to have adult feathers.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Did you left him there at the car wash? Is it not possible for you to pick him and give him first aid until someone helps you out?

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Sounds like the poor guy needs a dish soap bath. If he's covered in oil, he probably can't fly, in which he's probably also in shock. Being stuck somewhere dangerous with no way of getting anywhere....I'd be scared too! If his cere isn't very white, it's possible it could also be wet, or it could be a respiratory problem that was making him sick. Or like you said, could just be a youngin'.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good point, he was huddled next to one of the vaccuums used for cars, so he's not in the driveway area.

I would've liked to have taken him in if I could. But I don't think I can get around the whole 'he's sick you might catch something' thing. The little guy really tugged at my heartstrings today.

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Sneak him home, LOL. :p Or don't mention the sick part, just say he needs a warm bath, rest, love and some food, then you'll release him~

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I doubt I'll get by the sick part, cause the color of his droppings made it obvious. Plus my Dad was the one who pointed him out earlier.

·
Registered
241 Posts
The coulour of his droppings are caused by hunger probably not by sickness.
He probably did not eat in days.
No garage or other spare little place to put him untill you can get help for him?
My opnion is he is condemned to death if not recued.:(
Makes me so sad...
Myriam

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Go get the bird now.
This vet will examine the bird for free.

Dr. Patrick Hauck
2675 E. Flamingo Rd.
Las Vegas, NV 89121
(702) 734-9761

The bird won't make you sick but the bird is going to die if you don't help out.
My number is...503-957-8505 and you can call me or you can send me your number via private message and I will call you.

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
You need to at least try. I'm sure your parents will understand, considering the poor baby will die if you don't help. And if you don't, I doubt anyone else will! :( Abnormal droppings can also be caused by stress, which this guy is under most likely pretty heavily.

·
Registered
911 Posts
I have sent a private message and also an email to BD10..........still no response.

I guess this little bird is in God's hands. I hope the bird is allright.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Check your inbox I just replied.

*Yawns*

Now I need to get some sleep

It would be apprecaited if you could tell us what happened to the bird. Some of us have been on needles and pins all night waiting for you to reply and let us know what is going on. Some effort as been put into this on by many members here and we really want to know.

·
Registered
911 Posts
There must have been some sort of glich in this web site last night. I had my computer on until after midnight and didn't receive or see BD10 response at that time. I have just turned on my computer thismorning and I am getting dressed and driving to the site that BD10 states the bird is at. Unfortunately if I had received the information earlier last night I would have went directly there. It is less than 2 miles from my house....very close.....

I'll repost when I return.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I sent a reply around 10:00-11 last night at the moment I was busy with some stuff on ebay. But lwerden it does sound like there was something wrong and Charis I'm drawing a blank on what you mean.

Just let me elaborate

I understand what you're all saying about taking the pigeon in but just to clear things up touching a stray/feral ISN'T an ok thing(at least with my folks) calling animal control is about as far as I can go as far as 'handling' ferals/strays.True I feel bad for the pigeon but I can say I tried to get some help.

I have no clue how long he was at that car wash but my Dad had explained it to one of the employees there and she did take interest. Lately, the news had shown reports about the bad conditions the Las Vegas zoo is in but their animal control service ain't that great either.

In L.A. on the otherhand, they probably would've picked this bird up
'at the drop of a dime' I didn't post this thread to start anything I just thought if somebody who lived in the same area as me could pick him up.

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
I'm glad to hear there's a member so close to this bird! Hope Lwerden can go pick him up, and this little guy will be saved :) You have to consider some members here can't just take in every bird they notice in need, like in this case, so BD is doing the best she can. At least she alerted us all so someone else nearby could help :) Not many would even do that.

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
BD, we appreciate all you can do for any needy bird and thank you for allerting members of this needy creature.

Now you have some contacts that you can call in the future, whenever you find a needy bird, perhaps you can even secure the bird until help arrives. It is always best to secure the bird when you find them.

I know our local rehabber only goes out when the bird is secured, as most of the time when it wasn't she would travel miles only to find the bird was no longer there, and then spent time trying to find the bird. It is very frustrating and sad for the bird.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts