Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was wondering if a male pigeon (he's a pouter and is kind with female pigeons) and a female ringnecked dove would get along in the same cage it would be just the two of them. A book I have been reading, The Pigeon, says that a ringneck pigeon hybrid is possible, but would they get along or even pair up ? Please tell me as much as possible. Also, does anyone know if I could use a chain link outdoor kennel as an aviary? I though I might be able to put the loft inside the kennel so the pigeon would have more freedom to fly around.Thanks alot!

Attachments

·
Registered
270 Posts
They will certainly get along in the cage, as long as there is enough room for both birds. Even if it is physically possible, the likely hood of those two mating isn't very high. You would do better to buy a hen for your pouter, and perhaps another ringneck dove.

How big is the kennel. Just curious.

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
Welcome to PT.
To house pigeons, they need a cage/loft/aviary with no larger than 1/2 inch wire mesh (NO Chicken Wire). Predators can gain access thru chain link :eek: Rats, mice, snakes, even hawks, raccoons and cats can reach thru and grab the birds. You also want to make sure nothing can dig underneath. Mice droppings alone cause salmonella and will make the birds very sick.
I would take a look thru the 'Loft Design' section here for ideas.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
and to add... the chainlink kennel in that picture..well the dove could get right out of that around the gate to get in.. these two may get along just fine.. depending on what kind of pouter you have some are quiet gentle.. just be sure to house them correctly.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
This isnt the real kennel were looking at the one were looking at has a roof and no escapable holes but still has a chain link door for easy access .
and I spray animal repelant that does not affect birds but repels bad animals . Also would it be a good idea to test the two before I bought the dove if I did to see if they get along?I dont care if they breed I was just wondering if they would get along in a friendship.
Finnally can you help me find pigeon or dove breeders near my area? (they dont have to be breeders) If you can thanks a lot!

·
Registered
270 Posts
Where are you? :D

·
Registered
480 Posts
Hi Eddie
Im not trying to be rude but first , bad idea if that going to be your pigeon home . for one, you live in Minnesota, right ? so in 6 months from now it be freezing cold with high winds. two, chain-link to keep the bird in ? bad Idea also the Predators will have a field day with you birds, raccoons alone will get in they are one of the smartest animal around and no spray repellant for predators is not going to work ,only if it was that easy. your two birds will get along fine but they both need a enclose area away from the elements . remember what i see in that picture your turning a dog kennel to a bird aviary that only work if you live in a place like where i live it always warm never get below 55 where i live. if you see my album you see what i mean. your best bet is to build a small style loft like this link http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/f38/introductory-loft-challenge-48832.htmlor build a nice size one here a good place to start http://www.redroselofts.com/starter_loft.htm , good luck.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Don't know about putting them together, as I have always heard that a pigeon can harm a dove too easily. But I do know that sprays around the aviary will not keep out predators. If you were to cover that with hardware cloth as suggested, then it would work as far as protection for birds. What is it that you will be putting inside for housing? It was also mentioned that your winters are cold and I think most keep doves inside during cold weather.

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
This isnt the real kennel were looking at the one were looking at has a roof and no escapable holes but still has a chain link door for easy access .
and I spray animal repelant that does not affect birds but repels bad animals .
Also would it be a good idea to test the two before I bought the dove if I did to see if they get along?I dont care if they breed I was just wondering if they would get along in a friendship.
Finnally can you help me find pigeon or dove breeders near my area? (they dont have to be breeders) If you can thanks a lot!
Roof is good, but chain link and repellant are not good. And as Rafael said, if repellent worked....We'd ALL be using it! Alot of us have learned the hard way and have lost birds to predators by not having secure enclosures. It's not a pretty site! :eek:

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
Don't know about putting them together, as I have always heard that a pigeon can harm a dove too easily. But I do know that sprays around the aviary will not keep out predators. If you were to cover that with hardware cloth as suggested, then it would work as far as protection for birds. What is it that you will be putting inside for housing? It was also mentioned that your winters are cold and I think most keep doves inside during cold weather.
Ya, I didn't think doves could live outside in cold climates. I have 2 rescued ringnecks that I keep inside. If I'm wrong, please correct me, because I would love to build them their own little loft outside :D

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Dont worry I have a coop that has a heat lamp in the winter that keeps it warm would know Ive lived in minnesota l my whole life and some of my friends have poultry heat is not the problem but thanks anyway. And also repelant must work because my dog doesnt bother the coop anymore since I sprayed it the spray is like pepper spray animals dont like the taste or smell of it but ill think about the netting inside the aviary idea . Finnaly has anyone been searching for breeders lately, if so thanks!You guys are a big help! ;)

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
usually pigeons are not kept in a chain link aviary.. repellent washes off when it rains.. to keep pigeons they need to be enclosed with hardware cloth.. predator proof. If your going to do it , do it right from the beginning and it will save you allot of trouble and perhaps bird deaths... some pigeons that are docile like pygmy pouters can be ok with doves..but where you live ring neck dove would not do well outdoors..so I would stick with pigeons if your wanting outdoor birds.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Dont worry I have a coop that has a heat lamp in the winter that keeps it warm would know Ive lived in minnesota l my whole life and some of my friends have poultry heat is not the problem but thanks anyway. And also repelant must work because my dog doesnt bother the coop anymore since I sprayed it the spray is like pepper spray animals dont like the taste or smell of it but ill think about the netting inside the aviary idea . Finnaly has anyone been searching for breeders lately, if so thanks!You guys are a big help! ;)

If repellent worked for raccoons and rats, we'd all use it. Isn't something you can depend on keeping them out. And as was mentioned, it washes away. So during long rainy days on end, wouldn't be very helpful.

How big is your coop that you would be putting in there?

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
You haven't answered my question. You had said that you would be putting a "coop" in the chained link area. Do you mean an actual enclosed area, or nest boxes or what?

Before trying to get birds for the area, maybe it would be a good idea to first learn what they need and get something fixed up that they would be safe and well in.

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
Does anyone know of breeders near Duluth Mn pleae help I only know of one in Sturgeon Lake are there any others? If so thanks! :) :D
I'm not trying to be negative, but you probably won't get many responses from people selling birds if your going to put them in a chain link run. Most people care about where their birds go, and the one's that sell or give you any birds don't care. They won't last a month with chain link.
If your going to get pigeons, at least do it right and make them safe with proper shelter.
And I don't know or care how anyone else feels about heat lamps in with birds and livestock, but heat lamps are not safe. We had 4 barn fires up here last winter, all livestock and chickens were killed with the exception of 3 horses. Cause- heat lamps during the cold weather to keep livestock and water warm :mad:
Don't cut corners when it involves a living creature, its your responsibility to ensure their safety :)

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.