Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pigeon eggs under developed?

I had been feeding pigeons on my balcony 2 mates. the girl decided to lay her nest on my balcony and later abandoned them 9 days later. we think she was shot. i took in the 2 eggs and put them in a tub on a pillow above a heater. and a towel over it. i heard from somewhere that you put a bowl of water inside the tub for moisture. i have candled them and i see veins and a developed embrio. They move and twitch alot. but they look small this is the first time i have raised eggs or birds but i don't know what size pigeon eggs are supposed to be. the eggs are very small and the embrio inside is about less than and inch. today is it's 13 day. i think i see a beak.... not sure:confused:
and one of them looks like it is split in 2 it still moves and twitches but it is like 2 balls are in there.... both of the halves move so what is it? is it a pull pigeon embrio that i just cant see because it is in deep? or is it split in half o_O ?

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
They have about another week to go before they may hatch, if they do.. the heat source may not be just right and they are behind a bit. before they hatch the egg when candled looks dark in there as the embryo fills the egg most of the way. If these do hatch are you prepaird to hand feed them every two hours for the first 6 days or so..then about 5 times a day..before weaning three times a day? If they do hatch you will need to get prepaird now ..not the day they hatch.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
http://egg22 118
have noticed the last few days i have been candling my eggs that they start to move less and less. yesterday when i candled one she was moving enough and twitching but today the egg seems darker and i didnt see any movment eaither because it was to dark or because it was dead....:(
my other pigeon egg didnt really move that much to begin with.
another user said that since they were kept in the cold for a day when the mother abandoned them that it would stunt there groth and they might be a tad late. it's been like 20 days or so. please help me :( i dont want to throw them out if they are alive....

Attachments

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
What do you mean by the eggs were moving? And why do you keep candling them? Where did you get them?

·
Banned
2,389 Posts
Careful Jay3

we do not need anyone to say we are bashing him for asking a question that he should know the answer.
pigeon eggs hatch in 18 days.
I do not know what a "TAD" late is--But 2 days?

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Careful Jay3

we do not need anyone to say we are bashing him for asking a question that he should know the answer.
pigeon eggs hatch in 18 days.
I do not know what a "TAD" late is--But 2 days?
Thanks for the reminder. LOL.

·
Registered
54 Posts
That happen to my eggs too. I thought that my eggs wouldn't make because it was pass 17-19 days of incubation. I was going to throw them away but than during the night i saw some cracks and next day, I saw two newly born babies.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yeah that helps me a bit :)
but they don't move like at all anymore i sat in the dark candling one in till a vein moved and something that could have been a foot ( it was very very thin and it moved a bit)
the other egg dosn't move at all and they seem to be getting darker, i don't even see a bird shape it's just a little ball and veins ( one vein is very thick and it used to move with the ball)

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
well as they grow in the egg you will see less and less veining as they get bigger, they are filling up the egg, eggs can take 17 to 21 days to hatch, i would wait a few more days because they could be late bloomers :) are you keeping them warm enough?and turning them?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yeah, they are warm and i am turning them 3 times a day and candling them everyday.
and i am not sure that they are growing much i don't see a bird figure all i see in a dark spot resembling a ball.... is that normal?

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
yeah, they are warm and i am turning them 3 times a day and candling them everyday.
and i am not sure that they are growing much i don't see a bird figure all i see in a dark spot resembling a ball.... is that normal?
do you see any heart beat? does the veins look red and good nothing really dark that you can't see, the ball could be the baby growing, i wouldn't pick them up everyday either, oh and do you have a bowl of water next to them, it will help with the moisture for eggs to hatch.. so how many days from time you noticed them to you having them now..they could be still growing if you still see veins..trust me if they die the egg will b so dark inside you wont see anything when you candle, but that also could be them at almost full term, so depending on when they were laid like i said it could be 17 to 21 days for them to hatch.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
you wont see them candling for sure..they will be close to full term, egg will be solid and a very pale blueish color when they are ready to hatch..give them some time..

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
If the eggs were abandoned or not sat on because the hen is gone they may not hatch.. they need 100.4 temps, all you can do is wait, if it is real hot there they may take longer to hatch..or if the temps drop..like at night they prolly won't make it. if they do who is going to feed them ? is the male bird still around?

1 - 20 of 48 Posts