Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I NEED HELP AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.
I went out this just now to clean and check on feed and water.
My new birds are adjusting to the loft and haven't taken to any of the perch's or nest boxes yet. When I'm in the loft they tend to all hang around on the top of a shelf near the roof.
I reached up to take a close up picture of my Chinese Owl hen and guess what?
See the picture.
The Chinese owls have laid an egg on the top shelf.

Here's my question.
It's a Really bad spot to nest.
I can lift the egg and place a nest bowl under it and hope for the best.
Can I relocate the egg to a nest bowl? Will they follow it or is it a lost cause?
ORRRRR should I attempt to pile some straw around it?

Please let me know as soon as possible. There are several birds walking around the egg and I'm afraid it'll get knock to the floor.

Thank you,
Randy

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Pigeons are location specific regarding nest spots so you should be okay with lifting the egg and placing a nest bowl under it, just don't expect to move the egg somewhere else and have them follow it. Is there any way you could block things off a bit so the pair would have an easier time defending the area from other birds? Is this their first time laying?

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
You can't relocate it, they will abandon egg. Put some division (box or anything) to stop other birds messing arround. Give some twigs in the loft and avoid disturbing.
Keep your fingers crossed too. :)

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
Do you have any plastic/wooden dummy eggs? If so, take this egg in the house and replace it with the dummy egg. Put the dummy egg in a bowl or do whatever you're going to do and wait for the second egg. If she lays the second egg beside or with the dummy egg, then you can give her the real egg back. This way, there's no fear of the real egg getting knocked around or broken AND you will have about 2 days to watch and observe the pair and see if they are taking to the nest nesting bowl or whatever.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
We have 2 threads going on the same topic...this is what I wrote in the other thread.

If you move the egg, they will abandon it. You can make a donut shape out of an old towel and secure the ends with tape...put it around the egg to keep it from rolling off the shelf. Do give them nesting material to add to the inside of the nest but let them build it.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've wrapped a roll of old terry cloth into a doughnut shape and placed it around the egg and piled up some nest material near it and blocked off the shelf a bit to see if they sit on it. So far they aren't. If they are not on it by tomorrow evening I'll just get rid of it and I am already building a hinged door to block off the top of the shelf to use as storage.

Thank you all for the help.
Randy

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.