Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Is there anyone who can help me ASAP save the lives of several baby pigeons I found on my balcony. PLEASE HELP!

·
Registered
450 Posts
Hi Rosebasil, You came to the right place, I already contact one of the member and she will find out who is closer and around your area, Are you able to take the birds and put it inside before the management shows up? we will try to find someone as soon as possible...

And thank you so much for helping these little babies.

Ivette

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Rose...we need a way to contact you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Rose...we need a way to contact you.
not used to these boards but can you contact me private here?
thanks, Charis

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
No one here is ever going to call you a "nut" for looking out for these babies. ;) We are all nuts about them here. Thank you very much for saving them. They will be hand-raised by people with special bird formula until they are ready to fly and eat on their own, then they will likely be released into an established feral flock of pigeons with easy access to food and water (i.e. park pigeon flock). I'm sure their progress will be updated here so you can check back to see how they're doing. :)

The parents generally start a new nest and new eggs when the babies are two weeks old, returning to feed the old babies while incubating the new eggs in the new nest. So, they won't be overly mournful to see their babies missing, please don't worry about that. ;) Isn't it something that a pair was born on Mother's Day, that is quite touching. I'm glad you've enjoyed them so much and would love to see pictures. As for more eggs, you can remove them as they are laid, because the baby doesn't begin developing until the egg is incubated for a certain time--believe it is 24 or 48 hours--so you are tossing just the egg and not the baby. Or, you can get dummy/fake/wooden eggs to replace if it is okay to have them nest on your balcony, but of course they won't have more babies this way. They will sit on the eggs for nearly a month and in this way you can enjoy them without having more babies. Or, you can hard boil the eggs as you would with chicken eggs, then replace them to the same effect. Thanks again for taking care of them. I'm sorry about your illness, I know having the babies to watch must help keep your mind off it. Please feel free to enjoy our forum even after they're gone, we have many members who are pigeon fans even if they don't have some of their own (yet!). :D

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
I'm sorry you're feeling so sad. It is very difficult sometimes to watch this happen. Take comfort in knowing that if one set of eggs is destroyed, within two weeks the parents will lay another set in a new nest. They usually lay every six weeks, often all year round (especially here in California), so make many babies. And from a personal point of view, mine get mad at me for about a minute and a half when I steal their new eggs, and then it's forgotten. :cool: I do give them dummy eggs or boil their eggs but in between they really don't seem to notice.

They take wonderful care of their babies but are not emotionally attached to them. They will care for a baby if it is in their nest, and if they are "expecting" one or already have one, whether it is their true baby (from the day before, for example), or a new foster baby. And often we will need to pull in a small baby for whatever reason, and the parents will just go on with their courting and lay new eggs. I've never seen a parent looking for their baby for more than a bit.

I know your situation is especially difficult as you have no say in what's happening, but it is truly better for them to toss an undeveloped (or even semi-developed, even though it seems cruel) egg rather than be killing the babies in a few weeks. It's better now that the pigeons learn they cannot nest in those places, in order to protect future babies and generations. I know you enjoy watching them too, and I'm sorry you won't be able to.

I used to work on the third floor of a tall building near the marina, and often had crows and seagulls (certain ones) come to visit my window for treats. For over a year they visited, bringing new babies as they fledged, and would often just sit and "talk" to me even when I didn't feed them (didn't want them to rely on me for food). Until of course one day I was told by a maintenance man that a new guy across the way in the other building was complaining. . .and didn't even have the guts to tell me to my face, but rather remained anonymous through the maint. man. He threatened to tell the building manager (who was a real jerk and animal hater) if the birds came around anymore and was just quite nasty. It broke my heart to see my crows waiting for me when I pulled up and flying up to my window to say hi, and I would have to wave them off. Eventually I started feeding them down the street but of course it was never the same. So I really do know how you feel and how disappointing it is.

Maybe you could visit some of our members near you and visit with their pigeons? I know you said you aren't able to drive but I'm sure something could be worked out. I'm not sure exactly how close they are but we do have members in your area. I hope everything works out and you are able to rest easy and feel better. :eek: We would of course still love to see your albums of them!

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
Ok, this is in the process of getting handled.

I've enlisted the help of a very large network of people who aren't necessarily pigeon people but who are bird and animal people.
I think we should be able to get these little ones out and to safety in the morning.

Terry
Thank you Maryjane for your kind words. I have been losing sleep over this because I have a new development and a question which to me is ethical amd makes me cry. While cleaning, I discovered 3 more nests and two of them are not even in my pots, both directly on the balcony pavement in corners, one under the a/c. So no one can blame my pots!

Now I know when Housekeeping comes in Monday they will just scare the parents away and trash the eggs.

That is what they do here. To me they are life. In fact THEY COULD HATCH ANY DAY or as long as 18 days I guess! So now what, that means I am back where I started. I do not have the heart to sweep the nests and eggs into the trash but if YOU folks say that is what has to be done I think I will just let them deal with it. To me it is murder.
VERY UPSET over all this... the birds are sad enough but if I lose my garden over all this I don't know what I will do, it's all I got here...

wilted Rose
Terry,
Any update on this situation?

From Rose's post it appears tomorrow may possibly be doom's day for these guys. :(

Cindy

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Yes...what has happened with these birds? I've been wondering...worrying...since Rose made the initial post.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
I'm confused...have the babies been removed by Terry's network?

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
Another big thank you to Maryjane and Cindy for your sensitive replies.
You're most welcome, Rose.

ps. i am loving so many of your signatures and links!
Cindy I love your pigeons prayer and Maryjane i shared your 21 things link on my FB. it is sooo cool!
Thank You. ;)

Hi Charis,
thank you for your concern, no, no one has been here yet and things are changing very rapidly, no wonder you're confused, I'M confused!
I will be thinking 'positive' thoughts for you and your precious feathered friends that help arrives real soon. :)

Cindy

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Hi Charis,
thank you for your concern, no, no one has been here yet and things are changing very rapidly, no wonder you're confused, I'M confused! lol
After I posted that last post i went out to clean and move things again. When I started all 5 babies were still in their pots but i noticed the pair born Mothers Day, MAY 10 was standing up and getting frisky. Then i looked and OH MY only one was there! I saw MOM n POP foraging in the street and it made me sad cos i wanted to feed them...anyways i searched high n low even looked down 3 floors to the grass, then INSIDE my room as the door had been ajar. NO BIRD! After 20 minutes of anxiety i saw the poor thing hiding in the corner next to a pot napping, LOL
HOORAY the second one is trying to get the nerve to jump down out of pot and exercising its wings, took some pix, what a pretty black and white bird too! So does anyone know if they can now eat seed, i know parents still feed them weeks after they leave the nest. If i recall they have to learn how to grasp seeds in their beaks.
SO maybe these two are home free. maybe i can hide them during the cleaning? i have never handled a bird before, I am sooo scared i will hurt them.
Now that leaves another younger pair in the windowbox, just feathering and one solo in another pot. I could probably hide the single one til they leave, it's in a corner. But the two in the windowbox are very obvious and as those parents aren't hardly ever there, i don't know if they would come back if i move them.
any thoughts by anyone, MOST APPRECIATED!
thanks,
Rose
I think they would come back, even if you move the babies for a short time. Before the inspection, bring the babies in your room and hide them in the closet, in a box to keep them quiet. The darkness will settle them down and keep them quiet.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
They will survive just fine being raised by human parents.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
oh almost forgot--
i took some silk tulips and stuck em in windowbox next to the squeakers. This way you can't see them unless you look close, LOL I wonder if I can get away with that! LOL I can always act surprised too!
think i had too much fresh air today--
Rose

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Rose...I'm trying to find someone to come and get the birds. I can't do a thing if I can't give a rescuerer your contact information.

If you don't...there is nothing else I can do.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Hello,
I only live about 30-40 mins away from Glendale in Chatsworth, and I am willing to come pick all these birds up for you. Please call my cell phone at anytime, (818) 620-6061.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Hello,
I only live about 30-40 mins away from Glendale in Chatsworth, and I am willing to come pick all these birds up for you. Please call my cell phone at anytime, (818) 620-6061.
Thank you...Thank you...Thank you for responding to my email and for leaving your phone number for Rose. I hope she calls you before it's too late for the babies.
Honestly, I thought this situation had been handled a couple of days ago. It's hard to be at the final moments, so to speak, and still be trying to figure it all out.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts