Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 20 of 229 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can anybody help please im trying to save one of my chicks as the parents arnt feeding it ,i havent got a clue so i have been giving it [soft feeding for canaries] and today crunched up steeped brown peas fae feed.. it is 9 days today

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
can anybody help please im trying to save one of my chicks as the parents arnt feeding it ,i havent got a clue so i have been giving it [soft feeding for canaries] and today crunched up steeped brown peas fae feed.. it is 9 days today
If you have a pet store nearby you should pick up some Kaytee "exact" hand feeding formula. Do you know how to tube feed? I'm not good at giving instructions, but hang in there - someone here will get to you very soon. You have come to the right place, all are very very helpfull.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you have a pet store nearby you should pick up some Kaytee "exact" hand feeding formula. Do you know how to tube feed? I'm not good at giving instructions, but hang in there - someone here will get to you very soon. You have come to the right place, all are very very helpfull.
im using a seringe puting it to the back of mouth and squirting in very slowly little by little its brother or sister is miles ahead as they feeding it no probs thank god..

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
im using a seringe puting it to the back of mouth and squirting in very slowly little by little its brother or sister is miles ahead as they feeding it no probs thank god..
You just want to be sure that it is getting into the crop and NOT in the airway. I don't know if it makes much difference but you might want to move this thread to "sick and injured pigeons". It might get noticed quicker.

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
Hi Bulldove......can you tell us where you are? We do get a lot of visitors from different countries and we have many members all over the world. Are you keeping it warm? I'll go see if I can find some links to feeding a baby pigeon. I see the baby is 9 days old, so you are almost past the hardest part.

·
Registered
9,856 Posts
How long have you been feeding the baby? If you can get the Kaytee hand feeding formula, it would probably be best for the baby. It sounds like you are feeding it fine, so long as the syringe is past the air hole at the back of the throat and giving it small amounts. A baby that age can probably take 5 cc at a time but do it slowly. You can help them swallow by gently rubbing their throat.

Hand fed babies are usually smaller (initially) than those fed by their parents. However, they always seem to catch up after they begin eating on their own.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks

things arnt looking good im getting more nerviose as now im scared i get it down its lungs its not very perky and very very small infact at lasy weigh in its only 27 grams.. i will try to get kaytee feed but wont get a pet store open till the mora if it lives that long ,i think im just gettin stressed and how many times should i feed it per day.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Bulldove......can you tell us where you are? We do get a lot of visitors from different countries and we have many members all over the world. Are you keeping it warm? I'll go see if I can find some links to feeding a baby pigeon. I see the baby is 9 days old, so you are almost past the hardest part.
thanks for gettin back to me im in Scotland just out side Ediburgh

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
things arnt looking good im getting more nerviose as now im scared i get it down its lungs its not very perky and very very small infact at lasy weigh in its only 27 grams.. i will try to get kaytee feed but wont get a pet store open till the mora if it lives that long ,i think im just gettin stressed and how many times should i feed it per day.
How many days have you been feeding this baby? I always feed my babies by just squirting a little in their mouth, on their tongue and let them swallow it. I am scared to tube feed and I'm also always scared I'll get the food down in the lungs. It takes a little more time to do it the way I do it, but it's always worked for me. Here's a short video of how I feed babies. These two are a lot older than yours but it still works the same. Can you post a picture by any chance?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJe6y8EYQRg

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
Oh, I forgot about how many times to feed it.............again, this is not something I do a lot of, however, the few times I DID have to raise a baby, I probably fed mine 5 or 6 times a day. Basically, you feed them until their crop is full, not TOO full, and when it empties, feed them again. I sort of just keep an eye on them and play it by ear.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
View attachment 8588 thanks i think ill keep trying the squirt in mouth method..as you can see from photo tiny with small grase on side from parents.i feed it then put it back in with them for heat .and rap it in towel when feeding ..the crop only seems empty in the morning,but im using a 5ml seringe and it dosnt seem to take much and ive been steeping peas then crunchin them up and hand feeding into its mouth is this adviable at this stage..and should i be giving it water seporate ..as the soft feeding is steeped in water and runny so i can sook it up with seringe..sorry i must be doing your head in..also sorry about the spelling

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
Well, his little crop looks pretty full to me. He is tiny for 9 days old, but the ones that are hand fed don't usually grow as fast as they would if the parents were feeding them. As long as what you are feeding has water, then you shouldn't have to give him any water. Just keep doing what you are doing and hopefully you can find the Exact tomorrow. That has better nutrition and he'll do a lot better with it. Can you get any baby cereal? That might work better for today than the peas. And, don't apologize for asking questions. That's why we're here. ;)
So, the parents are sitting on him but aren't feeding him? That's a little strange. Usually, if they won't feed them, they won't take care of them at all and that's why we have to raise them ourself. However, if they'll keep him warm, that's good.

PS: Are you SURE he's 9 days old? It looks like his eye's are not even open yet, but maybe he just had them closed when you took the picture since he's looks full and satisfied.

·
Registered
9,856 Posts
He is tiny but cute as a button. Try it the way Renee suggested - just drop a bit at the front of his beak and let him swallow then go at it again. A baby this tiny can take 3-5 cc each feeding, say, about 1 1/2 - 2 hours apart. You don't need to get up in the night to feed it unless you want too but we make sure to feed any we have just before we go to bed. We've done so many, I go by their crop which should be plump and soft and it should go down before he is fed again.

Warmth is a key factor in raising the little ones. It is odd that the parents sit him but don't feed him. They are not real active at his age. All they want is to be warm and have a full tummy. :)

Also, is that a small wound on the very end of his back?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
baby dove

hi thanks again for reply good to no im not alone..yes there is a small wound on his side but it has scabed over so looks like it healing ok ,as the parents kept fighting over who sat on them so i had to split them and swap them over to sit ,very strange i no but couldnt work it any other way or they would have killed the chicks for shure the other chick is thriving no probs at all and parents stoped fighting and take it in turns alltho not sitting on them all the time ,but when i feel tiny he warm so i can only gess it best to leave him with them..i have had the parents for 6y now and this only the third time ive let the eggs hatch so dont no much and never have both chicks lived only one each time..

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
baby dove

Hi anybody there ,just wanted to say that i got kaytee feed but neerly lost ma chick this morning ,went out and he was stone cold so brought him/her in and gradualy warmed him up now on heat pad ,been fed and seems happy ,thought he was a gonner still not out the woods yet...

·
Registered
9,868 Posts
Make sure he has warmed up for an hour, then you can give some water. Check if there is any urine and when you notice he has pooped or urinated then only feed.

Reti

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
he poped and ive fed him a little 3times today so far but only a little each time ,have you any idea what temp i should keep him at as he in house now on heat pad in a towl ..thanks for reply

·
Registered
12,522 Posts
You can keep him under a feather duster and if you can keep the temperature under there about 32 deg C, he should be okay.

Pidgey

1 - 20 of 229 Posts