Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today morning I went to see my pigeons and I saw one of my baby pigeons lying on the floor filled with blood for a moment I thought he was dead but then I saw that he was alive. One of his leg has been taken out by a cat , no trace of the leg whole leg is gone and i can see the flesh and blood in the place from where the leg starts. He is not using the other leg it is folded and as if it has paralyzed, If i try to balance him on it, there is no use his body is just tilting and taking support on the ground. I have washed his wound and and applied an antiseptic (herbal aerosol) spray twice since morning and neosporin powder once. The wound seems a little better since morning. But he is not able to walk he is just crawling on the floor with much difficulty ( I can't see him in such pain). The parents are also not feeding him; they fed him enough after I took him in my hand and made his mouth closer to their's I will do so again in the morning. ( I will be at home from school at 4pm) There aren't veterinary clinics anywhere around my area and I went one to a clinic far away but they know nothing about pigeons. Please suggest me I want to save this pigeon and I want to teach it to walk on one leg, PLEASE REPLY QUICK!

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
How old is the pigeon?
Pigeons can survive on one leg, you might have to use some type of L-fixture to correct the second leg.
Only a vet can provide precise information if there is paralysis.
Posting a picture will help.

Also you need to make your loft more safer to protect your pigeons. The cat will come again.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Today morning when i was seeing his other leg I noticed that it isn't paralysed it has been hurt too that's why he is not able to use it, I have applied spray and powder to the other leg as well and yes I am working on making my loft safer. It is 26-30 days old. It is hard to make his parents feed him in the morning especially because I have very less time (or else I would miss my bus), they don't feed him much either. So I stay very worried because he would definitely be hungry and they won't feed him until I come home so I was wondering rather than running behind them forcing them to feed him I could handfeed him in the mornings and evenings ( if he is still hungry after being fed by his parents in the evening and I will be able to feed him in the afternoon as well after my exams are done because I will be at home). Can you guys suggest me what can I feed him please suggest something like defrosted peas which I can pop into his mouth (He is able to eat a few seeds at this age but even if I offer him he isn't eating, just pecking at a few of them). Please tell me about the dosage of the suggested food item too.
-Rubeena

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here are some pictures of the baby. Sorry I forgot to mention before that he has Paratyphoid too ( I am giving oral medicine for that). The wound is not properly visible because of the yellow color of the spray all over ( I plan to clean him properly once he is a little better).
-Rubeena

Attachments

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Oh, so sorry for what happened to the squab.
The squab need to be put on broad spectrum antibiotic, amoxicillin or enrofloxacin given twice daily for 14 days if he has paratyphoid and this serious injury because cat wounds can cause infection. Neosprin powder is very effective on open wounds if wounds aren't much big. Please apply some antibiotic cream also. On wounds like this I apply a little salt+a little red chilli powder mixed in generous amounts of tumeric powder stirred in hot mustard oil and it never let any infection to take over and help the wound to heal faster.

Squabs of this age can do good on 2/3 feedings a day. But train him to drink water by dipping his beak in the water. Give him water in a small crock if you can't be around him all day. You can feed him green defrosted thawed peas,some defrosted thawed yellow corn, an hour long soaked bengal gram/chane ki daal which will benefit him and other soaked grains if you can.
A baby this size cannot stay on his one leg for long so pls let him rest properly without hurt himself on the place where injury has occured. Roll some soft towel and make a shape of dough nut to make him rest properly or you can use a deep earthen big enough bowl which can contain his body by giving him support to rest properly. This will also help his other leg to be placed properly.

May he get well soon!

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I already give him enrofloxacin to treat paratyphoid and he is kept in a big earthen pot. He knows how to drink water.I will buy an antiseptic cream for him and please tell me how many soaked chane ki dal should I give him at a time and wont they be too big for him? Is there any specific way in which I should hand feed him?(I have never hand fed any bird, I don't even know what crop is and how to know if it is empty or not) Thank You very much!
-Rubeena

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Oh so sorry for delay in replying,
Green peas are easy to digest and will keep him hydrated. Here in India soaked chane ki dal is recommended while the bird is on antibiotics. In one go,you can feed him 30-40peas,5-7 yellow corn(both frozen and thawed) ,with about 15 chane ki dal grains(soaked or frozen). Give him 10-15ml of water with feed. All the feed+water should be lukewarm when you feed him. Keep water by his side so that he may drink when ever he wants to. You can always put some grains by his side so that he try and learn to pick them on his own.

For feeding please open his beak and put one pea at a time in the back of his throat and close the beak to let him swallow. Peas and corns are easily swallowed by pigeons. For chane di dal,drain water and put them on a cloth and pat them to soak extra water. This way they won't stick to your hands when feeding. A pigeon can swallow three easily at a time. Just open the beak and put them in back of his throat and let the bird swallow it. Keep this doing over and over again till the crop is about 75-80% full.

Give him about 10-12 peas first and see if he digests them. Check the crop,if the crop is emptying then you can feed the above mentioned feed in one go. Check his crop if its empty everytime before feeding.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
rasheed.rubeena; said:
I already give him enrofloxacin to treat paratyphoid and he is kept in a big earthen pot. He knows how to drink water.I will buy an antiseptic cream for him and please tell me how many soaked chane ki dal should I give him at a time and wont they be too big for him? Is there any specific way in which I should hand feed him?(I have never hand fed any bird, I don't even know what crop is and how to know if it is empty or not) Thank You very much!
-Rubeena
To check if the crop is empty you can just gently feel if there is no feed remaining in the crop. When fed, the crop becomes big and heavy. Before feeding for the second time, you can just feel the seeds in it.

Kale Chane ki dal is less than half the size of a green peas so he can swallow them easily.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hello rubeena

Just a quick thought. Are you sure it is a cat that did that? From the photo of the wound it looks unlikely to me. Could it be a rat that attacked your pigeon? They may be attracted by the bird food. In case you need to rat proof your aviary...

Good luck.

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
Yes, rats will do that too.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No, I am sure that it's a cat the morning when I went to see my pigeons the kitten was sitting right in front of the cage ( the cat must have gone hearing my voice) and the next evening the cat and its kitten came again to hunt for some food...
-Rubeena

·
Registered
959 Posts
So sorry for your bird. I guess you have got a friend for life there...since you cannot release him..
You need to give the enrofloxacin for 10 days. To get a feel of the crop, after a feeding, feel under his chest for the peas eaten. It will feel like a sack filled with the peas. That is the crop. For the next feeding, the crop should be empty..nothing to be felt there.
Nice lines you have there...for your signature (or whatever it is called). Thanks for caring.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes I won't be able to leave him... I give him enrofloxacin mixed in water is that alright or should I give it to him directly twice a day for 10-14 days? I think I have understood where the crop is however it feels the same to me before and after the feed :p can u tell roughly how much time does it take for the crop of a 30 day pigeon to get empty? Thank You for the help and the compliment ( for my signature).
-Rubeena

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
I will strongly recommend you to give medicine by mouth after feeding for proper dosage and better results. If you have enrofloxacin tablets then part/cut them into pieces to suit dosage and then give 12-15mg twice daily.
By giving it in water you never know how much water he's drinking.

The amount of feed I suggested should be empty by the evening and if you feed again it should be empty in the morning.
Are you hand feeding him or he's picking up seeds on his own???

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
He is picking up seeds on his own, I know when he have had enough because he stops eating :p
-Rubeena

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
IF he isn't feeling well, or the injury is bothering him, then he may not eat enough on his own. You can supplement him with som frozen peas which have been defrosted and warmed under warm running water. Put one in his mouth and push it to the back of his throat, then let him swallow and give him another. Normally the crop if working correctly should empty in about 6 hours. But if it is working slowly, then it can take longer.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
He is eating fine once he stops eating I try showing him some more seeds but he doesn't eat and also if his father tries to feed him he refuses ( because he is full). Thank You for telling how much time it takes for the crop to empty.
-Rubeena

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
How is the baby pigeon with one leg?
He is very well now, there has been a great improvement in him. He is drinking and eating fine and he has also started walking a little. ( not exactly walking but walking+ flapping his wings) . Thank You for your concern and help :)
-Rubeena

1 - 20 of 28 Posts