Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys my baby pigeons lately have been dying. I have 6 pairs, and when the eggs hatch 1 baby dies and 1 lives. They only live up to 2-3 weeks then die overnight. Theres no predators or nothing, no pecking...they healthy them all of a sudden bam. Idk what it could be, they have a healthy feed, water..but they do eat dirt!!? Also plant leaves!! What could it be!!!!

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
What dirt is that? From the floor or you give them dirt? Must be something in the dirt that's being passed to the embryo. They should eat gravel. Not all plant leaves are ok to eat. And i wouldn't give them any leaves anyway.
I would start by taking care of these issues and see if any change occurs in the next round of babies.
Good luck. I am sorry the babies didn't survive.

·
Registered
795 Posts
It Happens. Sorry to say.
I haven't had much luck rearing both young either.
I have heard that the best thing to do is to seperate the parents, and seperate the young.
In otherwords, put the mom with one of the young ones, and put the dad with the other young. The key thing would be is, to do it Before the problems might happen.
Your problem has happened to me also.
The older chick has learned to take the younger chicks food from it's crop.
You have to stop this, before the younger chick becomes too stressed, go's hungry, too many times, gets weak, and eventually gives up.
Seperate, and observe.
I hope this helps you, and everyone else.

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
Hello guys my baby pigeons lately have been dying. I have 6 pairs, and when the eggs hatch 1 baby dies and 1 lives. They only live up to 2-3 weeks then die overnight. Theres no predators or nothing, no pecking...they healthy them all of a sudden bam. Idk what it could be, they have a healthy feed, water..but they do eat dirt!!? Also plant leaves!! What could it be!!!!
There are a number of things that can cause this, but most commonly is salmonella (paratyphoid). What kind of a setup/loft do you have (picture would help). Can mice get in? Mouse droppings carry salmonella.
Have you checked for canker (trichomonas)? Inside their throat and mouth should be smooth and pink, if you see any yellow cheezy growths, that's canker.
Also, they need grit with calcium (oyster shell)!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts