Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there
I have brought home a baby woodpigeon that was attacked by my friends dog. i haven't got a clue what to do. I have put it in a box on a towel and have put it in our spare room for peace and quiet and it seems quiet content. I gave it 2 small worms from my garden, I had to open it's beak but it ate them quickly. I also dropped some water into it's mouth too.
It appears to have a broken wing as it was tying to flap but only one wind was moving, there is also some blood on the top of it's body. i believe it's only a couple of weeks old. i would love to take care of it but I am not at home every day and really don't know what to do.
Please help
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
Hi,

Thank you for rescuing the woody, but please don't give him worms, wood pigeons are seed eaters.

Also be careful about dropping water in his mouth as he might aspirate.

For the time being, just put him somewhere warm (but not hot) and quiet.

Can you let us know where you are? Hopefully we will be able to find someone near you or a sanctuary or wildlife hospital that can help. He will need antibiotics as he has been bitten.

Can you also tell us how big he is, how long his tail is? That might help work out how old he is and what care and feeding he needs.

Cynthia

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi cynthia
Thank you for replying so quickly. he is 7 inches long from beak to tail. his tail is 1 inch long. I have some seeds, should I give him some tomorrow or even tonight. i live in south normanton in derbyshire

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
He is very young. Wait till tomorrow before you feed him. If you have a hot water bottle fill that, wrap it in a towel so that it is warm but not hot and sit him on that in a box. Or if you have an angled lamp with a 40 watt bulb, place that above him but leave room for him to move away if it gets too hot.

You could also mix 1 pint warm water with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 tablespoon of glucose, or honey, or sugar. Pour some in a cup and dip his beak in it without covering his nostrils, that might tempt him to drink.

Tomorrow get some peas and defrost them in hot water. When the peas are still warm, open his mouth and pop one at a time in. Aim for something like 20 for the first feed. You can also soak puppy biscuits in warm water until they are slightly fluffy and feed those the same way, or dip day old wholemeal bread in warm water, squeeze it out a bit and feed that the same way.

If you feed him seeds then soak them for about five minutes in warm water first , then you can scoop them into his mouth...he may not be able to pick them up yet...but he can pick seeds up on his own he should also be able to drink on his own, which will be great!

I will do a bit of searching to see if there is a rescue place near you, offhand I can't think of any PT members in your area.

Cynthia

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
This place might be able to help you:

Wildlife Rescue (Burton-on-Trent)

24 hour emergency rescue cover for British wildlife in the Staffordshire and Derbyshire areas - rescue ALL wildlife, regardless of species or status. Their website gives further details about contacting them in an emergency.

http://www.freewebs.com/wildliferescueburton/

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Cynthia, for the advise. i will fill a hot water bottle right now and try him with a bit of warm water as you suggested. I'll let you know how he is tomorrow. maybe i could get some anti-biotics from the vets tomorrow. :)

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
If you go to a vet don't let them persuade you to put it down...they did that to me with a woodie I rescued and now that I know better I realise that I was wrong to listen to them.

The antibiotics you need are called Synulox and Noroclav, the 50 mg tablets. You give half a tablet twice a day.

I have some I can send you, but I think there is a postal strike tomorrow so it would probably be Friday before you got them.

Cynthia

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
Oh, good! Thank you Jayne. Simmy if you don't want to go to Wildlife Rescue (Burton-on-Trent) and the vet can't help then PM me your address I will send you some antibiotics.

If you decide to take him to a wildlife rescue place please check what their policy regarding unreleasable birds is first, as we don't know whether he will be able to fly, although I hope that he is only bruised.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts