Pigeon-Talk banner

Help broke a fertile egg :(

Tags
broken egg
1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  rusafaa 
#1 ·
It's a confusing story of a pair of fantails, i always thought they are a female pair because
1) The supposedly male one never coo like an adult male chasing other women
2) Once they laid 4 eggs
3) next twice they laid 2 eggs.

This time as i was feeding them one of them was sitting on the egg and i picked it up rather careless for the egg cause i was pretty sure it was an infertile egg of two females right. The egg accidentally broke and i saw a poor lil kid inside it! i felt TERRIBLE and the look on the fantails eyes was just too sad when i saw its eggs broken and a kid was there..... So question is why did they lay a fertile egg or was that a male ?

#5 ·
you may have two hens paired..but if you have cock birds in the loft..then things happen..so there will be chances for the eggs to be fertile..does not look like it was that far along..she will have others.. but if I were you, I think a cock and hen make better parents..because the cock takes over at the end stages of feeding..so you may have problems in the end if these hens raise babies anyway.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.