Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My pigeon keeps running in circles, and when it eats, it recoils it head and shakes it a lot. Drinks a lot of water. Is it a disease, like canker? Here is a picture I think. The bird is not currently going crazy. I am going to try to take a pic and post it later. I put the pigeon in a separate place, hence the cage.

Attachments

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Sounds as though it could possibly be PMV. Is it able to eat anything?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Frankly, I am not sure. I noted the amount of food I put in there, but there is no current noticeable difference.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Yes, very contagious to other pigeons. Here is a lot of goof info on it. Probably picked it up from some feral birds as they fly free. He needs to be kept away from them, and very good hand washing when you handles him. Isn't catchy to humans, but can cause conjunctivitis without good hand washing.

http://www.pigeon-aid.org.uk/pa/html/paramyxovirus__pmv_.php

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
You recently brought in new birds. This is why you keep them segregated for a month before putting them together. To be able to monitor them and make sure they are healthy. Is Beta one of the new ones?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Crap. Good thing is that I do keep him separate. How do I feed him myself, and when should I be expecting to do it? How often? How long does PMV last, and should I take him to the vet? How much would that be? Sorry for the questions; I am currently panicking.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yep. I did not quarantine them because I do not have a place to do it, and I figured that they would not like to be in the garage with my cat. Trust me, in the future, I will make a place to quarantine them

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
I would keep an eye on the rest of the birds.
Your cat is kept in the garage?
You would probably find it easier to feed frozen peas which have been defrosted and warmed under warm running water. Just defrost and warm enough for one day at a time and keep the rest in the freezer. For a regular sized adult who isn't eating, could be fed about 50 peas twice a day. Or you could do about 30 3 times a day. Here is how:

If you need to feed peas to a pigeon, hold the bird on your lap and against your body. This gives you more control. Reach from behind his head with one hand and grasp his beak on either side. Now use your free hand to open the beak, and put a pea in, then push it to the back of his throat and over his tongue. Let him close his beak and swallow. Then do another. It gets easier with practice, and the bird also gets more used to it, and won't fight as much. If you can't handle the bird, then use the sleeve cut off a t-shirt, slip it over his head and onto his body, with his head sticking out. This will stop him from being able to fight you so much. Just don't make it tight around his crop area. It helps if you have him facing your right side if you are right handed.

If he is still eating some on his own, then he wouldn't get as many, so you need to pay attention to how much he is eating.
If he doesn't seem to be drinking then hold a water dish up to him for him to drink a few times a day. When you leave a water bowl in with him, Make sure it is narrow, so he cannot fall in and drown, which could happen.
It can take a few months for him to get through the virus.

If he isn't passing droppings, then probably not eating.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok. He pooed once yesterday, which is a good thing. If he goes a day without pooping, I will start with the peas. Let me know if this is not a good strategy. Should I take him to the vet, or would that be useless at this point?

Got to go vandalize some t shirts!

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
Put seeds in a deep dish (like the one in the photo), sometimes they do figure out a way to eat by themselves. Will make a mess trying to, but always better for both of you. Just make sure he is swallowing the seeds and not just throwing them around.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
I would do as Marina suggests. She is right in that it is better if he is eating on his own.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I read somewhere that there was a bacterial something that had symptoms like PMV. Could it be that, or something else? Do I need to have my bird tested for it?

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Maybe you mean Salmonella. It can have some of the same symptoms. It can also cause neurological symptoms. It never hurts to have your bird checked by a good avian vet. It would probably a good idea.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
From what I read, it doesn't sound like samonella. I will attempt to push for a vet visit. And yes, the bird is in the garage with a cat, but the pigeon is in a dog cage and out of sight of the cat, who will not get out of his bed at all because he has leukemia and is recovering from a paw infection. Thanks donc, the website was helpful. 99% sure it is PMV now. And a good thing: Beta ate today! It was a good amount. One thing that confuzzles me is that Jef, the guy who I brought them from, said that he gave all his pigeons a vaccine against PMV, but no boosters since he did not race them. How long does the first vaccination last? Thanks for the help, times are hard, and I just learned today that my cat has leukemia, and I am heartbroken.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts