Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
thank god i found this site.

anyways, i need advice.
i have a white dove that I have had for 2 years when I found her in my yard injured. She's been great ever since. She's white with some brown on her wings and a black ring on the back of her neck. Recently, I put in a black normal looking pigeon in the cage.
As I was leaving the house on Saturday afternoon, I saw she was on the floor looking puffed up. I immediately thought something was wrong with her. I picked her up and noticed she was ok. As i put her down i noticed there was an egg where I had picked her up. I placed her back down and she used her neck to roll the egg to her chest and she sat on it. Sometimes she would get back on her stick and sometimes she would be on the egg. It was on and off.2 days later (today) I noticed the black pigeon sitting and now there are two eggs. I thought my Rosie(dove) was a female all along. I am so confused as to who is the male/female. Now Pietrus(the pigeon) is on top of both eggs and Rosy is on her stick looking tired and sleeping.

What do I do? Who's the male/female? Do i take a picture? Can a dove mate with a pigeon? are the eggs fertilized? PLEASE HELP

·
Registered
857 Posts
Ringneck doves and pigeons can hybridize, though it is uncommon; so the eggs may be fertile.
It is also possible that just having the other bird in there stimulated her to lay.
I would let them incubate the eggs and see what happens.
Even if fertile the embryos may die early in their development.
Good luck.
Keith

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
they both look like pigeons. i thought they could have babies.

the pigeon is on both of the eggs now. i hope the babies make it.

·
Registered
153 Posts
sory cant help but am keen on keeping up with progress, how big are the eggs? and have you candeled them? (candled= shine a torch threw them to see if they are fertile?

·
Registered
760 Posts
The female is the one who sites on the eggs at night. Will you have room to keep the babies should they hatch and rear?

You dont need to do anything at the moment...time will tell. The eggs should hatch 18 days after the second egg was laid.:)

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
well if you don't want them to hatch perhaps you can find two wooden eggs from a craft store and replace the real ones with those, they will sit on those for a few weeks and then lose interest, then it will start over again. if you have a male pigeon and a hen dove, usually it is pretty obviouse the one that is male, he should of been doing cooing and bowing at the hen and beaking, which is feeding her some food and then mating, did you not notice this..? I would not of recommended puting a pigeon with a dove as pigeons can be too much for the smaller dove, but sounds like they like each other fine....just keep check on the dove as they lay two eggs, if she stays puffed up and doesn't look well, she is in no shape to raise babies, and may need a trip to the vet....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts