Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
So has frosty come down? Mine have roosted at neighbor's place sometimes for the whole night but they come back next day :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for writing. Yes, I was frazzled when I posted this because it had just gotten dark after waiting for him since 2 in the afternoon. And right after I posted that he was missing, a car beeped at us in the driveway and it was a neighbor whom I never met (next house over) saying that a bird landed on her back and is sleeping in her gutter and do we know who he might be? LOL! She is an angel... and a psychic. So, by standing on a dining room chair, we collected him from the gutter and brought him home. When we locked him back into his loft for the night he started jumping on his mate like she was a trampoline literally just bouncing on her...

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Glad that he is back home :)

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Days have shortened. I only let my birds out in the morning. So they can make it back home. In evening I don't let them out. Hawks come in and scare them and then they fly. Many return, some stay out cuz it falls dark early.

I'm glad, Frosty's back. Frosty's excited too, to be back home and be with his mate and at home.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Help Find Frosty AGAIN... Sadly Reporting....

Hi everyone,
Sadly, I am reporting that Frosty never came back home on October 30th of 2015 after a day of open loft. Everyone else came home but him. He was my first and favorite (I won't say he was the best HOMER in the world, just the best BIRD in the world in my eyes). I did contact his original rescuer AND the club who the owner belongs to but I have not been able to pinpoint the original owner! I will continue to try because if he went back home I'll still ask to have him back!
RIGHT LEG ORANGE BAND: AU 2011 NWDRS.NET 275

The other leg had a band which I removed: lime green with number 93

Any NWDRS members out there?
If Frosty had come across a person, I'm sure he would charm them into rescuing him. I would love to know he is okay out there. He is missed greatly!
Thanks for any input...

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Missing Since Oct.30th2015

Hi everyone,
Sadly, I am reporting that Frosty never came back home on October 30th of 2015 after a day of open loft. Everyone else came home but him. He was my first and favorite (I won't say he was the best HOMER in the world, just the best BIRD in the world in my eyes). I did contact his original rescuer AND the club who the owner belongs to but I have not been able to pinpoint the original owner! I will continue to try because if he went back home I'll still ask to have him back!
RIGHT LEG ORANGE BAND: AU 2011 NWDRS.NET 275

The other leg had a band which I removed: lime green with number 93

Any NWDRS members out there?
If Frosty had come across a person, I'm sure he would charm them into rescuing him. I would love to know he is okay out there. He is missed greatly!
Thanks for any input...

Attachments

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Sorry you lost him. White pigeons are even more risky to fly as they stand out so well. How many birds do you have? They are also safer in a good sized flock.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I'm very sorry to hear he never came home.
Hand tame/ people friendly birds should never be let out to fly free though in my opinion. They don't know what to flee from to stay alive.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi everyone. Thanks for reading. Jay, I now have 13 birds and have expanded my set-up. I wanted more birds right away when I remembered there is safety in numbers! So, at the time, 14 birds were let out together. I let them out on an empty stomach (maybe not empty enough). I have not let them fly since fall because of hawks circling around and no leaves on the trees anymore.
We have hens and two roosters and I imagined that the roosters crowing every morning would always be an audible help-aid for finding home. Did not paint the top of the loft a bright color but have read it could be a good idea to do in the future...

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
I'm sorry. I know how hard it is to lose a favorite bird. White birds do stand out more though, although can't be sure what happened.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts