Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A beautiful bird which I now know is a Mookee self rescued a couple of month's ago.Long story short traced owner but Mook's is staying here. I am now having an aviary built this weekend for her safety and enjoyment.However I know they need a companion ( no babie's wanted ) I have been reading up as much info as I can. However my question is does it need to be another Mookee or are there other types of fancy pigeon's she (this is a guess on sex) would live with happily? ?

All help greatly appreciated

·
Registered
732 Posts
Mookies do like other mookies of the opposite sex, but will pair with another breed if that is what is only available. When picking out a potential mate you would have to know the sex of your pigeon, , and not a guess. Two male mookies would fight as this breed can be aggressive. Plus you want to keep the same size and body type for potential mate. I think you should get another mookie after you are more sure of the sex. Reason is even though you will use hatch control it seems there are mistakes made and things happen, so if you got oops babies at least they would be pure mookie and easier to find homes for.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
If you were to get a female pigeon for a companion, it should get along with your bird, whether your bird is a male or female, as 2 females normally get along. Just make sure it is a female you are getting. As was already mentioned, 2 males will usually fight. If 2 females, then you do not need to worry about breeding. If a male female pair, you would need to get some fake eggs to switch out for their eggs when laid. You cannot just take the eggs without replacing them with fake. Any other pigeon will work as a companion, but if you were to miss any eggs and end up with babies, as was also mentioned, it's a lot easier to find a home for a breed then for a mixed breed. That would be the only reason for it having to be a pigeon of the same breed. Different breeds will mix.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thankyou both for your advice and I believe my new family member to be a female . . Well the owner who has her ringed thought so . . You will probably see me posting lots of questions as first bird ever! . Joiner is making aviary this weekend for her and new friend (where I will get from have no idea! All info I have gotten so far is from site Palomacy Rescue) all pointer's, tip's very much welcomed.
Thank's again

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I live in the UK. . . I'm hoping I will find her a friend.At least I will have piece of mind from the weekend when her Aviary is built . . Oh and after I manage to get hold of her!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sitting with my dog in Manhattan under a tree where a lot of pigeons congregate. I feed them sometimes, especially this last winter which was brutal. Anyway, today I saw two pigeons that seemed to be pecking at another one, which looked fairly young. I thought they were picking on it so I made noise and all the surrounding birds took off but not these two. I moved closer and made noise again and one of the two took off but one did not even closer I realized the bird they were pecking had its leg caught in a wrought iron fence. I am always reluctant to touch birds because they are so nervous but it was very stuck. I put my hands around its body and wings and it seemed to actually calm down. Then I was able to take the foot and manuever it and free the leg and it took off. For the tree above me where I saw about fifty birds looking down at me.

Bluestacks Kodi Lucky Patcher

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Right place at the right time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
How sweet of you to save the bird! These birds live up to 5 years in the wild, but at home they can live two or three times as long. I hope you don't have a cat, as that`s real hunter. Don't think they're going to be friends:) I see that your main question has already been answered, but I can give you one more important advice - since you`re going to take the bird in your house, it`s important to remember that it needs to be outside at least sometimes. I found helpful information how to take your bird outside. There`s very good guide for walking birds. I have a parrot and we tried some of the things from this article.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts