Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

I am from Bangladesh. My adult male pigeon is suffering from Canker for last 3 days. I did not find any medicine mentioned in this forum except Metronidazole in my city. DIMERTRDAZOLE,SPARTRIX is not available here, Ronidizole Powder is also not available.

I am giving 0.75 ml of Metronidazole syrup daily for last 3 days and 2 Riboflavin tablets in morning and evening in mouth also hand feeding the pigeon.

I am really worried for that bird and I don't want to loose him. Please suggest me what else I can do to save the bird.

Arif

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
He should be getting 50 mg once daily for 7 to 10 days. How many mgs is he getting in 0.75 ml?
If he isn't eating enough then he needs to be hand fed.
How do you know he has canker?

·
Registered
812 Posts
Hi arifmasum,

Sorry to hear about your bird.

Jay3 has asked, how do you know it is canker? Posting some pics would help.

I'm in Dhaka, Bangladesh.

Previously I have treated my birds for canker with Metronidazole, which is widely available as tablets in Bangladesh [ eg. Flagyl, Metronid, etc.].

Jay3 has given you the required dosage. I used to break the tablets and hand feed it to them. I do not know the effective dosage for the syrup, I have never used syrup.

Please remember to isolate the infected bird. Good Luck.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
As YaSin11 has said, you can get it in tablet form. I think the tablets are much easier to give. They just have to be split up to the correct dosage.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Jay3 and YaSin11 for your kind reply. I know it is canker as I found yellowish white substances in the mouth and throat of the bird. I am using syrup and it is written that each 5 ml contains 200 mg of Metronidazole. Previously I was giving less dose and now giving 1 ml daily and he is improving. Now I am seeing that the bird is having balance problem, walking in circle and falling down. But poops and body is fine.

can you suggest further what can I do for balance issue?

Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
How much is the bird eating? Drinking? Should be getting just a bit more. 50 mg. Even 60 would be fine. Maybe give 1 1/2 ml daily. Under dosing will help the trich to build up a resistance to the drug.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you Jay3. As the bird having Balance problem, I am hand feeding him and giving water with syringe. Ok, I will increase the dose of Metronidazole. What should I do regarding his balance problem.
Thanks again for your kind reply.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Could the balance problem be due to PMV?

Is there any 'backwards neck' or 'head tilted to side' for the pigeon?

Usually Canker will get cured with treatment, but the balance issue sounds like it could be something else.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Off balance could be anything, salmonella, not enough nutrients, water etc. The wire floor that he is kept on isn't helping.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Not sure what is causing it. Like I said, that wire floor isn't helping. That isn't comfortable to be on all the time.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts