Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Everyone,

I found a sick apparently feral pigeon. I say apparently, because he only put up a minimal amount of resistance to my picking him up and didn't seem to mind "petting."

Basically he's not flying, he's very lethargic and has bright green diarrhea. He's eating seeds but he's very unenthusiastic about it. I got him to drink some water by standing him in a shallow bowl of water, where he stood for a minute or so before he realized it was water -- then he took a couple of long drinks.

I have him in a box with a heating pad now with seeds nearby and a bowl of water. I checked his mouth and there are no sores, although there does seem to be a darker rim around the pink inside his mouth. He let me gently poke his belly and spread his wings and didn't show any distress. One odd thing is that he makes sounds like a "squeaker" when he's scared or sometimes when he's eating. He looks too big and well feathered to be that young though. Also one wing seems shorter than the other. I posted pictures of the bird and stool here:

http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy153/jimc2000/pic1.jpg

http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy153/jimc2000/pic2.jpg

Any suggestions would be most welcome.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
He is a squeaker...a young bird that doesn't know how to eat or hasn't been able to find food.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
You can hand feed defrosted corn and peas. Run some hot water over them until they are defrosted and slightly warmed. Put the bird on your lap and hold it next to your body. I f it helps, you can wrap a towel around it or put it in the sleeve of a tee shirt, with the head out the wrist. That confines them without hurting them and makes it easier to handle. Gently open the beak and pop the piece of corn and peas at the back of the mouth by the throat. You will need to feed 40-50 per feeding and every time the birds crop empties until you know it is eating on it's own.
The crop is located right below the throat and when it has food in it it fill up like a little balloon and with peas and corn it will fill squishy.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Charis,

What do I do about giving him water? That is, how much, how often, and how do I make sure I don't drown him by accident?

Thanks

Jim

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
He knows how to drink already, so you should leave him a small dish that he can't spill over, with water. Show him where it is. He'll drink when he's thirsty.

·
Registered
632 Posts
At that age it's not unusual that he doesn't mind being handled; he will become more independent as time goes on.
The poop doesn't look too good, but that may be a response to stress. When he's had a chance to rest and relax, see if the poops look any better, perhaps even post another pic then.
Thank you for caring for this youngster.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Hi Jay3,

Thanks for the video, it helped. Unfortunately, the pigeon I'm working with seems to think there should be a lot more squirming and let-go-of-my-beak behavior going on. I guess he needs to watch the video a few more times... (smile.)
LOL. You're too much!:p
You have to hold him on your lap, up against your stomach. That way, you have more control, and he has less. LOL.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
There is no problem with wings just missing feathers. Keep monitoring poop it looks bit irregular. It may be nothing, but just in case…

1 - 10 of 10 Posts