Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I rescued a baby pigeon yesterday from the alley where I work. He was huddled in a little corner and obviously not old enough to be out of the nest (still has yellow down / hair, no tail feathers yet, feathers still filling in). From what I've seen in researching online I would say he's about 3 weeks old.
I have him in a small bird cage in my laundry room (warmest room in the house). My boyfriend and I are both experienced at hand-feeding and have been giving him formula (exact Kaytee). he doesnt eat any cooked foods or seeds I've left in the cage.
He is very reluctant to eat the formula. I have a hard time getting him to open his beak - at most I can get him to eat a couple CCs per feeding (3X a day feeding).
he is standing looks alert, shining eyes etc and no visible injuries.
I need advice or help. i am not sure what the right move is next. I'd like to see him survive and prosper. The poor thing. Please advise ASAP!!

thanks,
Leah Matanky

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Thank you very much for helping this person. Jaye is a wonderful rehabber and can likely help a lot. Sounds like you're on the right track so far. Good luck!!

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
Met leah last night, gave her a better syringe tip for feeding, along w/ some tips and instructions. She is a bird person so I thin she has it in hand for the time being.

I do not think she will be able to see raising it all the way thru to soft release, as she is going out of town in a few weeks..so we will need to find someone to hand-off to for the last couple of weeks of raising.

At moment, I have the ScrubJay situation here, so....any volunteers welcomed. We can ultimately release in my n'hood...I just can't keep the bird inside here beforehand.

Good work so far, Leah.

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Thank you for rescuing the baby, Leah, and thank you Jaye for your time and help to make this a wonderful/better experience for Leah and the baby.

I hope we get to see some pics soon.:D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.