Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to Pigeon-Talk and am not too sure how it works.
I found a baby pigeon 31st July and judging by photos, he looked about 14 days old. His leg was sticking out behind him you can see in the photo. Since then, one week later and a lot of iresearch on nternet web sites, I've managed to get his leg bent back to along side his body by keeping him in a smallish bowl. I tied his legs together, not too tight, with elastoplasts and he is able to shuffle about. (The other leg is perfectly OK);
What I would like to know is how to spread out his toes in front whereas at the moment they curl outwards and are slightly atrophied. They do work as they can grip my finger.
I am able to devote a lot of time into to getting this little pigeon in good shape to grow up. He has grown a lot in the last week, you will see by the second photo taken today, and eats well, allbeit from a bottle but he does peck at dove seeds.
Any help that someone can give me on how to keep his toes spread out and any other advice would be grately appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
New to Pigeon-Talk and am not too sure how it works.
I found a baby pigeon 31st July and judging by photos, he looked about 14 days old. His leg was sticking out behind him you can see in the photo. Since then, one week later and a lot of iresearch on nternet web sites, I've managed to get his leg bent back to along side his body by keeping him in a smallish bowl. I tied his legs together, not too tight, with elastoplasts and he is able to shuffle about. (The other leg is perfectly OK);
What I would like to know is how to spread out his toes in front whereas at the moment they curl outwards and are slightly atrophied. They do work as they can grip my finger.
I am able to devote a lot of time into to getting this little pigeon in good shape to grow up. He has grown a lot in the last week, you will see by the second photo taken today, and eats well, allbeit from a bottle but he does peck at dove seeds.
Any help that someone can give me on how to keep his toes spread out and any other advice would be grately appreciated.
I don't know if this will help at all, but if you decide to splint maybe seeing the anatomy will help. Jay3 recommended http://www.pigeonrescue.co.uk/splayleg.htm that link to someone with a young pigeon with a splayed leg recently.
Ava

Attachments

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
The legs need to be pulled closer together, as they would be normally. Please do check out that link that Avaest posted. It will give you a better idea. If you let them too far apart, that is how they will stay, and even move out a bit more. He also needs a calcium/D3 supplement to help strengthen the legs.
For the toes, put on a small piece of cardboard, with some gauze or cotton under the foot to shape it better, and taped over the toes. Kind of like a little shoe.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you so much Jay3 and Avaest for your very usefull replies. I live in the S. of France and so there will be some time lapse before replying.
Firstly, there is feeling in the toes becasue he can move them and grip my finger but not very strongly. I wouldn't know how to tell if he has vascular damage. Being able to see the anatomy is very helpfull to understand what's going wrong but I wouldn't feel able to fix a splint.
I will try to make a shoe as Jay3 suggested, and arrange the legs closer together. I'm just a bit worried about the type of tape to use over the toes as I dont want to harm his little fragile toes.
Thank you again for your valuable help.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Hi, I don't know if it can help you and if this is the problem of your bird but I read on the website of C.RE.DO des pigeons about a vitamins deficiency.

They said that young pigeons with toes or feet curled outwards often suffer of a perosis (pérose des pattes) caused by a vitamins deficiency (because of a poor nutrition). They have a deficiency of manganese, biotin, folic acid and pantothenic acid.

They suggest to give Océmue of Virbac (you find it in pharmacy; they say you have to order it) for at least 2 months.

Of course, give him a good feed. As Jay3 said, he needs shoes.

This is the website (you find what I told you about here:

II. COMMENT SOIGNER ET SAUVER DES PIGEONS BLESSÉS

E) JEUNE PIGEON AUX PATTES RETOURNÉES VERS L?ARRIERE ET/OU AUX DOIGTS RECROQUEVILLÉS ):

https://credopigeons.wordpress.com/2012/06/25/nourrir-bebe-pigeon-tombe-nid/

I live between Italy and south-est of France; if you need some help you can ask.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Hi, I don't know if it can help you and if this is the problem of your bird but I read on the website of C.RE.DO des pigeons about a vitamins deficiency.

They said that young pigeons with toes or feet curled outwards often suffer of a perosis (pérose des pattes) caused by a vitamins deficiency (because of a poor nutrition). They have a deficiency of manganese, biotin, folic acid and pantothenic acid.

This isn't a situation of just the toes or feet curled. What he has is being caused by the splayed leg. Yes vitamins are important, but right now a proper wrap and calcium/D3 supplement is needed.

They suggest to give Océmue of Virbac (you find it in pharmacy; they say you have to order it) for at least 2 months.

E) JEUNE PIGEON AUX PATTES RETOURNÉES VERS L?ARRIERE ET/OU AUX DOIGTS RECROQUEVILLÉS ):

I live between Italy and south-est of France; if you need some help you can ask.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hello to Rayemond and Colombina,
Thank you for the information, which I will be following up. Thgis afternoon with the help of two friends have bandaged the legs closer together and have put on his first 'trainer'. I think tomorow when we change it, I can make it fit better but for now, he is managing to walk much bett with it and the toes almost in the right position. I think that the feet and toes were atrophied due to the fact that they had never been used. His leg was sticking straight out the back and it seems that he was already 14/15 days old. I will try to take a photo tomorrow and post it on the forum.
Another question I wanted to ask was that I am still feeding him wet food in a bottle, that is to say, peas, quinoa, coucous with some dove seeds, all mixed with a little water. He must be about 21 days old, can I still give this to him as the amount of grain he pecks himself is not enough.
Thank you for your kindness.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Guess we were posting at the same time. You would need to keep supplementing him until he is eating well. The calcium/D3 supplement is important to help the leg.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hello Jay3,
Yes, and straight away is was much better, but now that we have managed to put a little trainer on his food he is walking with much more ease. The toes, although not completely flat, are separated out with the back toe almost in line. I will change it tomorrow to make an even better job. I didn't want to twist the toes too far today.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I take him out onto the terrace several times each day to get the benifits from the sun, natural D3. but I will try to get the calcium and D3 tomorrow at the pharmacy. How do I give it to him, I mean in what quantity ?.... drops?

·
Registered
1,509 Posts

This isn't a situation of just the toes or feet curled. What he has is being caused by the splayed leg. Yes vitamins are important, but right now a proper wrap and calcium/D3 supplement is needed.

Yes, you are right Jay3. I was wrong thinking about perosis because his problem it's not just curled toes or feet (some time ago I read something about perosis and deformation of legs bones in young chicken, turkey, etc; probably I made that wrong hypothesis because I was thinking about that).

Of course this is a case of splayed legs and a proper wrap and calcium/D3 supplement is absolutely needed.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
You can find a calcium supplement also in some jardinerie/animalerie like for example Jardiland. You can find there also vitamins.

About vitamins, just for example Oropharma Omni-Vit:
www.oropharma.com/NUTRI/Nutrition/P...kt=15660&fam=15670&ani=-1&ran=16138&pro=18954

It contains also vit D3 (I was looking about Océmue: it contains biotin, folic acid, etc but not vit D3. As the problem of your bird is not perosis, Océmue is not the good product for you; sorry for the wrong hypothesis).

About calcium complement, just for example Oropharma Calci-Lux:
www.oropharma.com/NUTRI/Nutrition/P...kt=15660&fam=15670&ani=-1&ran=16138&pro=18911

When he will learn to eat by himself you can try to offer him cuttlebone (source of calcium). My pigeons love it and they eat it when they feel they need it. I use to cut it in small pieces with scissors and I put it in a separate dish.

You can also buy a block for pigeons (you can see it in the picture). It contains crushed oyster shells, grit silex, calcium sulphate and minerals like iron, etc. I crumble it with a knife and put in a separate bowl. As cuttlebone, my pigeons love it and eat it when they feel they need it (I always leave both of them available). I use to buy it at Bricomarché.

Attachments

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
You can also boil chicken egg shells and crumble and mix them in with their grit. But they still need D3. And right now he needs a source of calcium/D3 that you can give him orally to know that he is getting it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Good morning Jay3 and Colombina,
As I mentioned in my first post, I live in the country and 38kms to my nearest sizeable town. So, this afternoon I'm off to get the supplements, cuttle fish and other things mentioned. I am going to boil the egg shells now as I do have eggs! I know this sounds stupid to you Jay3 but I didn't think of his need for grit. Apart from egg shells which I imagine I cant give this alone, can I make grit out of anything else I may have at hand. In any case, I will buy something suitable this afternoon in town. Thank you for your continuing interest. By the way, his name is Woody.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.