Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please help someone.
I arrived at the pizza place where I work today - 8/23/08. While I was working, my boss came up to me and asked if I wanted a pigeon. I was bewildered by the question and asked him why. This pigeon had been outside since 8am in hot weather and no one had cared for him. He had a badly broken wing that kept tripping him and his upper beak is COMPLETELY gone.
I brought the exhausted bird home and he literally dunked his head in his water bowl just to drink.
This bird has captured my heart and I cant stand to see him die. What do I do!? - I cant afford a vet trip - Im only 18!

·
Registered
12,522 Posts
Well, first off, the upper beak may literally be mashed downward into the throat. Take a real good look and see if it's you can see down what seems to be left of the bird's beak to his throat. Hopefully, you'll find a surprise.

Pidgey

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yup

I am uploading pictures now
he made it through the night
oh and I found his upper beak.
it went through his lower beak and the upper beak is now below the lower one
its really sad
I just cant give up on him!:(
what should I do if his beaks are reversed!
I hate cars right now

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
I am uploading pictures now
he made it through the night
oh and I found his upper beak.
it went through his lower beak and the upper beak is now below the lower one
its really sad
I just cant give up on him!:(
what should I do if his beaks are reversed!
I hate cars right now
Pidgey doesn't appear to be on line right now. Go ahead and get the pictures loaded and I'll send Pidgey a PM.

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
These are the two closest rehabbers I've found and I don't know that they would take a pigeon, but you could call and ask.
However, he doesn't appear to be starving and I expect that Pidgey could walk you through caring for the bird.
I'm not a rehabber, but it seems to me that the beak just simply needs to be pulled out. I don't know what else could possibly be done?
Are the top and/or lower beak moving at all........are they loose?

Howell, MI
Mary Seth 517-548-5062

Permits: Howell Nature Center/Wildlife Assist/
Species: small_mammals large_mammals birds waterfowl raptors reptiles_amp
Comments: I work at Howell Nature Center as an assisstant in the wildlife rehabilitaion department and care of permanent non releasable wildlife for education.

Montrose, MI
Teresa Smelser 810-639-2714

Permits: State (2001) & Federal license(2005)
Species: migratory/songbirds only
Comments: Specializing in migratory/song birds.Member of NWRA MWRA HSUS IWRC

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
GREAT NEWS EVERYONE!
with a lot of help from my grandma, I managed to carefully dislodge the upper beak from the lower beak
he can open and close his mouth now
(no doubt it hurts though)
he has a hole in his lower jaw but at least he can drink and eat againI am so shakey
Ill keep everyone posted on his progress
THANKS SO MUCH!
:D

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
GREAT NEWS EVERYONE!
with a lot of help from my grandma, I managed to carefully dislodge the upper beak from the lower beak
he can open and close his mouth now
(no doubt it hurts though)
he has a hole in his lower jaw but at least he can drink and eat againI am so shakey
Ill keep everyone posted on his progress
THANKS SO MUCH!
:D
That's great news!! Aside from the wing, that beak was a major problem. I think I found Pidgey........he may be on his way over here from another web site. ;)

·
Registered
10,372 Posts
Ive named him Hobbs - he keeps tripping over his wing - Im gonna go wrap it with a small ace bandage so he doesnt fall anymore (luckily this I know how to do - thank you E-Vets) Ill be right back

Hi stf,

In order to not injure him further in trying to get his Beak out of it's perdicament...

Have someone hold the Pigeon, on a towel, on a table top, so you can have good access by standing.

This way, you have both hands free.

Then, pushing 'up' from below, push up on the part of his Beak which is poking through hie Bottom Beak...and while doing that, also, lift up on whatever of the upper Beak you can...

Once you are pushing up on the protruding tip, the upper Beak will have a little somehting to get a grip on, or, even, to insert a htin Starbuck's "Stirr Stick' into the space there...but BOTH are ipoertant to do - pushing up from below, and levering gently as close to the tip as possible, on the upper Beak.

Both Beaks are flexible to some extent...go slowly, and it should come up and 'out' just fine.

Get this part done, and we can see about the Wing and whatever else.

Say, with your right hand, your index finger tip or finger-nail tip, engauges the tip of his Lower Beak, so your Thumb tip can push 'up' and slightly 'back' on that portion of his upper Beak which is protruding through.

With your left hand then, being careful NOT to hurt his Tongue, insert a Starbuck's "stirr stick' into the space this pushing up will provide, and keeping the stick as far FORWARD was possible, twist the stick to generate an upward pressure 'there'...and, the Beak should come 'out' then with these two concurrent 'pressures'...both are important to do at the same time, since either one singly will likely make more injury or not suffice to free the upper Beak from it's perdicament.

He will be very sore for a few days, and it might be a few days before he can eat again, but some manage sooner.

Good luck..!

Phil
l v

1 - 20 of 64 Posts