Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

This evening our cat came sauntering up to us with a young pigeon in his mouth. He has feathers with some dawn poking through. He had a small puncture in his wing but no blood and the wing doesn't look broken. Though he seems quite a bit awkward when he moves. We found this forum and immediately got him set up with a box with a heating pad on low under a towel in a quiet room that the cats can't get into.

It's been about 2 hours now, and we plan on trying him on some water with salt and sugar in a bit. So I guess my question is what else can we do for him?

Oh and he's tentatively been named Humphrey

Attachments

·
Registered
13,045 Posts
Do you have any neosporin that you can put on the wound? Cats carry a bacteria that can be fatal to small animals and make others very sick.
Where are you located in the event we have a member near by that can talk you through the next step?

·
Registered
13,045 Posts
MY favorite city. I want you to email me your phone number and we have some members in the area that can call you.
[email protected]

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
What a cutie. Thanks for taking care of this baby pigeon. We have some members in your area that can undoubtedly help. :) You did the right thing by putting him on heat, hopefully you can meet up with someone who can take him tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
I am in Chelsea, 2 min north of Boston, is the bird eating? Email Charis or me with your phone number, my email is [email protected] email your number and I'll call you. Charis, got your message but I know it's 5 am there so I don't want to call, thanks for calling though. Charis, what kind of meds are needed for a cat bite?

·
Registered
9,868 Posts
I am in Chelsea, 2 min north of Boston, is the bird eating? Email Charis or me with your phone number, my email is [email protected] email your number and I'll call you. Charis, got your message but I know it's 5 am there so I don't want to call, thanks for calling though. Charis, what kind of meds are needed for a cat bite?

Clavamox will do.

Reti

·
Registered
13,045 Posts
Sadly, I never heard from them.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Reti, i do not have clavamox, i have:

ciloxin .3% eye drop 2.5 ml
Spartix 10 mg
metacam 2ml
neem oil
colloidal silver
liquid calcium
albon .10ml
azithromycin 250mg
nyastatin .8 BID/14 days
Arnica
Amoxicillan 500 mg tabs
cephalexin 500mg
cipro 500mg
amoxicillan 10% powder
enrofloxyn .2 ml/kg of B.W. for 5-7 days
ivermectin (wormer)
divet
appertex 2.5 mg
Augmentin (amoxicillan + clavulanic acid) 875/125 mg
Anroxil 7.5 mg (generic baytril)
cephalexin 50 mg
flagyl 500mg and 250 mg

I know many of these dont apply to this bird, but easier to copy and paste.
I need help with the dosing too, i know you all know that, but a nice reminder! ;)
Let me know, i'm gonna pick up the bird soon, he has two cats and a toddler, so he would rather let someone else do this then himself, so i'm bringing it home. Want to start meds ASAP so i need some help with the meds....
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
oh, ok, do you know the dosing Snipes? I will weigh him when i get home, but am i right about getting him on meds ASAP considering the cat bite? It might already be too late, correct?

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Well what I've read (here) is that cat bites are very dangerous, or can be. I'd go ahead and medicate him and give him teh benefit of the doubt.

I have a dosing chart but it is at home, sorry :(

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Ok, i need help with dosing, i have him, will weigh him in 2 seconds. I decided to try and feed him, not tube feed, with a baby bottle, nipple cut off end. Once he figured out it was food, he flipped, started squeaking and sticking his beak in the hole in nipple. His crop feels fuller now. I have a few questions, as i have always tube fed, never this way. I wanted to get him used to this way, since he is so young. He is much smaller then i thought too, smaller then the pic makes him out to be, i have never had a bird this young.
Ok, he stuck his whole beak in the nipple hole, then started to swallow, but acted like i was supposed to force it in, like a mom regurgitating, does that make sense? His WHOLE beak went in, and it makes me very nervous with his nostrils in all the way like he could inhale the food. Can he inhale it like that or are the nostrils not open yet, or what?
I'll weigh him... hold on

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Ok, since the dosing on ammoxicillan is like 5mg for a bird, and my pills are either 500 or 875 mg, i would have had to chop it up SO SOOO little, i gave the smallest DROP possible of Baytril to start. I havent found a puncture wound, and actually, I think he may have FALLEn out of nest and been found by the cat. He's got some CUTE cats too! The man who found it thinks the bird fell out of a nest too, the cats are not that athletic, and they do not venture far, so he thinks the cats found the bird and brought it home.
There still might be puncture wounds, i have to go to work, will come home later to check on him, i'd bring him with but today is my day at a cat shelter, and i think Humphrey has had enough cats for a LIFETIME! LOL!
He got a bit of food, some meds, and is now napping happily. Hopefully he'll pull through the nest few hours. One leg looked a bit swollen on the joint, and he is limping sort of, as the man who found him said, he moved awkwardly, and he does.
Thanks to our rescuer for finding him, that was so sweet to help Humphrey!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Our pleasure :) We're pulling for him to make it. he's the sweetest little thing, and really is a trooper. Thank you for caring for him for us. It just seemed that 2 cats and a 2 year old would be way to much stress for the little guy.

·
Registered
13,045 Posts
Ok, since the dosing on ammoxicillan is like 5mg for a bird, and my pills are either 500 or 875 mg, i would have had to chop it up SO SOOO little, i gave the smallest DROP possible of Baytril to start. I havent found a puncture wound, and actually, I think he may have FALLEn out of nest and been found by the cat. He's got some CUTE cats too! The man who found it thinks the bird fell out of a nest too, the cats are not that athletic, and they do not venture far, so he thinks the cats found the bird and brought it home.
There still might be puncture wounds, i have to go to work, will come home later to check on him, i'd bring him with but today is my day at a cat shelter, and i think Humphrey has had enough cats for a LIFETIME! LOL!
He got a bit of food, some meds, and is now napping happily. Hopefully he'll pull through the nest few hours. One leg looked a bit swollen on the joint, and he is limping sort of, as the man who found him said, he moved awkwardly, and he does.
Thanks to our rescuer for finding him, that was so sweet to help Humphrey!
I think you should call the baby, Humphrey.:)

·
Registered
13,045 Posts
I think that may be the finder's name.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts