Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Am I a murderer?

:confused:Help i have a fledgling dove and l gave it straiaght water.!! I live in arizona and its parents were set free (the person who let them free didnt know about the two babies.) and I found one dead and the other very weak.! It had been accidently abandoned three days ago. Here is exacly what i did.!! first this little white dove has all its feathers but still can not fly. When i found it i put it in my hand and got a lid from a water bottle and gently rubbed the side of its beak. it took it a second and then it stuck its bead in and started drinking the water up. I did this three times. I had some bread crumbs and i crushed them up. when i touched its beak with a litle of the bread. it pecked a few times and then i put it in a baseball hat with wood chips and grass. now i just read that the nest can make it sick!!! HAVE I DOOMED THIS BABY TO DEATH? I JUST DID THIS LESS THAN AN HOUR AGO... WHAT SHOULD I DO??

·
Registered
10,372 Posts
Hi VH,

Go to the store and get some 'Paedelite' - rehydration liquid for people-babys...and, use it for the next 24 hours for their drinking.

If this is not convenient, then, take a medium small glass of tepid Water, and, dissolve a pinch of regular Table Salt, and a pinch of regular Sugar in it, and use it, offering it close to body temperature.

Use rumpled soft cloth for the youngster, instead of grass and wood chips.

See what the poops and urates are looking like...

Keep them warm if need be...or set up a Cage with a heating pad under a towell, so part of the Cage botoom is over the heating pad, and, part of it not, so the youngster can choose.

You will need to be feeding them soon...rehydrate for 12- 18 hours first, then, try thin formula ( 'KT' or the like ) , see if they will drink it like they do water...make the thin formula runny, using the elctrolytes at first, and, serve it close to body temperature, guide their little Beak into it, keeping your finger tips on the sides of their Beak ( important, or they will refuse it )...and, they may just drink it, and thus begin getting some nourishment into themselves.

Phil
Lv

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
Hi Valerie,

I don't know why the nest would make it sick? If you are worried line its nest with clean kitchen towel.

Don't feed it just yet as it has been dehydrated ...wait a few hours. Rather than plain water, mix 1/2 pint warm water with 1/2 tablespoon of glucose, or honey. (if you don't have either of those use sugar) and half a teaspoon of salt. The glucose/honey/sugar will give some energy.

If it is mild where you are, or the baby feels cold to the touch, put it on a heat pad so that it doesn't waste energy keeping its body heat up.

Cynthia

PS: Sorry Phil, we were typing at the same time...fortunately with similar advice! :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks again.!! the reason I was worried about the nest was because i read somewhere that a grass nest would make them ill.!! I have it in a baseball hat with wood chips on the bottom and grass on the top. is this ok?

·
Registered
10,372 Posts
Add a few drops of Apple Cider Vinegar to his/her Drinking Water-Solution also...that is good to do.

They can be guided to peck and eat small whole Seeds at this age, yes...just gently guide their Beak into say, a Shot Glass full of small whole Seeds, like Finch Seed or Canary Seed, and keep your finger tips on the sides of their Beak...moist warm finger tips are best.

No seeds or chow till 18 hours of rehydration have passed...if they will drink thin formula, that would be best for the first day or two...

For now, let them drink all they like in successive sessions...limiting the amount of each session to a few seconds of glugging.

See what there are for poops and urates now till morning...and let us know.

Lastly, for the second time, "No" wood chips and grass are not good...nor do they allow you to see, count, and evaluate the poops and urates which we hope, shall soon be forthcoming.

Use white or light color cloth...softly rumpled if you like, that way the Bird is comfortable, and you can count and evaluate poops.

Good luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
okay old nest is gone and the new one is in. Im off to get pedialite. The little white dove has gotten a name!! I think her name will be LS. Lonesome... dove. my deepest gratitude... Ill update you in the morn. ty

·
Registered
10,372 Posts
Sounds good!

You have to rehydrate them well if they have suffered privations...for their digestive and other systems to slowly refresh...with this, old poops begin to be expelled...everything improves, starts working again...urates being made, kidneys clearing out...then, thin formula, usually, and, after a day or so of that, small whole Seeds in the formula, if all else is well-enough to do so...onto learning to peck soon thereafter if one wishes.

Hence, one needs to monitor the poops urates carefully, from the beginning...to see that they are being made, and, to gauge their quality oir implications.

Doves are usually picky about eating formula volentarily...add some Malto Meal ( the plain one, not the chocolate flavor) or add some actual Malted Barley, ground fine, or old fashioned Horlicks Malted Milk Tablets, converted into powder...to the formula...Doves like the Malt flavor...let formula hydrate in the frige, covered, for a couple hours, make it soupy, let it hydrate fully, then warm it in a pan of warm water so it is about body temp...no microwave...

I feed them in the reverse side, the hollow side, of a regular people-baby Nip-ple...where I trim the flange off with Scizzors to get it out of the way...if tiny or very young, then I just cut off and use only the last finger tip sized part of the Nip-Ple.

One has to softly keep one's fingers on the sides of their Beak for them to eat this way, or, so softly pinch the Nip-Ple so it then presses gently on the sides of their little Beak...same with their drinking usually, for a while anyway...where, they will eat at the same attitude or posture as drinking...but they need to feel like this is similar to mom or dad's feeding/watering them, where their Beak would be in mom or dad's Throat...so they need to feel something like that against the sides of their Beaks to be willing to eat or drink.

Like this -

http://public.fotki.com/PhilBphil/baby_dove_-_july/

This is a good way for them to drink, also, when starting out...later, they can drink from a Tea Cup or low Bowl, ince they learn how to do so on their own.

Good luck with the Dovelet!

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
Valerie, if you are in the Phoenix area, there's a great rehabber named Jodie (Fallen Feathers). I would suggest giving her a call. She will do whatever she can to help you with the little dove. 623-566-0155.

Cindy

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.