Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Warning: Long Post Due To Details!

I saw a Rock Dove get hit by a car on January 22nd. I scooped her up and immediately called our Bird Sanctuary. They refused to take her because she is not a native species although they said they would render any medical care for her for free and then send her home with me. She was having seizures and rotating her neck around 180* and continually twisting it and falling over and couldn't get her feet back under her about once an hour. When she had them, we would pin her wings to her sides and hold her until she calmed.

I took her home and the next day I took her to the Bird Sanctuary to be looked over. They cut the feathers on her belly where it was obvious she had an injury. No open wounds just a good bruise on her belly and a few missing belly feathers. She had a small blood spot on her head, but we were unable to locate a wound. They sprayed her for lice and mites (she had both) and rubbed some cream on her bruise. Her poop looked good. They said she was nice and fat already so they were not concerned about her eating right away. They said I shouldn't worry for about 3-4 days on the eating. She was already drinking, but I literally had to hold her head for her and gently dip it in the water for her.

They said because of her coloring it is very possible she is of Tumbler or Roller genetics. She has a headcrest on the back of her head. Her head is a darkish red, body is rusty red, back feathers are a grayish red, and the tips of her wings and tail feathers are white. Her iridescence is fuschia and green. She is absolutely beautiful.

We put her in a smaller box inside her cage so she wouldn't hurt herself during seizures and lined the floor with pieces of fleece and flannel so she could keep her footing. The seizures gradually faded off and she currently has not had one in over a week. We graduated her from the box to the cage about a week ago.

On day 4 she began eating the food that they told me to give her like CRAZY! She seems to prefer sunflower seeds. She is fully eating, has regained her balance, has made no real attempts to fly other than wing fluttering from time to time, and will actually perch on my hand and shoulder as long as I put her there.

I'm finding it hard to believe she is a feral pigeon with as much as she allows us to handle her. When we reach to move her she will throw a fit and peck and bite, but then as we calmly talk to her, she gives in and gets on our hands. She seems more comfortable with us cupping her wings and picking her up that way than perching on our hands to be moved around. She is sweet and social once she calms down. If she gets upset she will tell us all about ourselves and puff up like a turkey (which we find hilarious). I have talked to others about her on a Tumbler/Roller Facebook page desperate for ANY bird info I could get and they seem to think that as tame as she behaves she most likely is a Tumbler or Roller that either got lost from her flock and got hit or got chased from her flock into a high traffic area where she got hit and I found her. She is not banded, but they say that doesn't mean anything because a lot of people don't always band all their birds if they are just a hobby. I personally have NO clue.

We have her in a beautiful 18"x18"x32" wrought iron cage with a seed guard and a perch. She has two sets of food and water dishes one on the inside and one up top on the "playground". I also have a suet cake feeder inside (figured they eat them in the wild) which she pecks at from time to time. I also provided her a cuttle bone. We cover her cage at night, she has her own window in my bedroom. She has another perch up top, but she prefers the floor of the top. She spends on average at least 3 hours on the top of her cage a day. No attempts to fly. She coos softly in her cage at night.

So, here's the problem...I TRIED to offer her a warm bath container and she wanted NO part of it. She has recently in the last few days started losing handfuls of little feathers, a few medium-sized ones, she's preening like CRAZY when she isn't roosting of sleeping. She seems fine other than the loss of feathers and the lack of interest of baths. It's February and sub zero weather so moulting doesn't make sense in my inexperienced bird person mind. She has no bald spots (yet). The feathers around her wound that they cut off seem to be growing back fine. She's got the Birdy dandruff going on, but I figure that is from her pin feathers growing back...I worked SO hard to pull her through her injuries and I will be devastated if she gets sick.

We are located in Ontario, Ohio, USA

ANY input, ideas, thoughts, experiences, or wisdoms? I need help!!! TIA

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Thank you for caring for this pigeon.

It may be normal that she is losing feathers, she could be molting, which pigeons will do once a year. It would be good however, to get her on a good pigeon seed mix. She will need a calcium/D3 supplement also.

Keep her enclosure out of drafts of air. She does need good air circulation, and keep away from heater.

(Please post a picture of the bird and the cage she is in, you can post the facebook page.)

It would be good to put her on a pigeon seed mix (it provides the full nutrition spectrum pigeons require), while they enjoy certain seeds like safflower, it is very fatty and should be only 2% of the mix.

She will take a bath all by herself once she is completely healthy.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Holy moly! Guess I should remove the heater in my room. It stays about 65 degrees in my room and I noticed she was shivering so I brought a space heater into the room. She seemed to enjoy it, but if its not good for her I will remove it. I always worry about her cage being right next to the window because its cold and drafty there. I open her curtains during the day so she can see outside.

Which Facebook Page is it? There are several titled Pigeon Talk.

I will check out my PetSmart for Dove mix. I know that our Pet Supplies Plus has a seed buffet with lots of different mixes as well. What specific ingredients am I looking for?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
She may have been somebody's pet that got lost, she is not your typical feral pigeon. It is nice you have her for a pet, she is lucky to find you.

If she is cold you can put a heating pad in her cage set on low, with a towel between her and the pad.

Here is an ingredient list of pigeon grains: http://www.purgrain.com/ingredients.htm

Also, that is a very nice cage. Pigeons do need wider cages and do prefer flat perches, not dowels. It is not a problem if she is allowd time outside her cage.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh, whew! I was kinda worried that it was snug for her but she spends on average about 3 hours a day up top and she snuggles with me frequently. Pretty much anytime she is home I get her out. Someone graciously bought me the cage brand new. Not cheap, but as I have a dog and 6 cats I wanted a sturdy one, not a wire one. I will go find her some better food today. Does she need a roosting box or happy hut? Should I get her one?

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Oh, whew! I was kinda worried that it was snug for her but she spends on average about 3 hours a day up top and she snuggles with me frequently. Pretty much anytime she is home I get her out. Someone graciously bought me the cage brand new. Not cheap, but as I have a dog and 6 cats I wanted a sturdy one, not a wire one. I will go find her some better food today. Does she need a roosting box or happy hut? Should I get her one?
As long as the cats cannot get their claws inside the cage that will work, with time she is allowed out.

What is a happy hut or roosting box? Sounds fun..

Any feed store should carry a pigeon seed mix.

Do you have any organic apple cider vinegar? A drop of this in their water dish a few days a week helps optimize good gut bacteria and crowds out the bad bacteria and gets PH on track, it is a really excellent preventative and cheap investment.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As you can tell I know nothing about birds. Upon further investigation a happy hut is more appropriate for cockatiels etc. that's what I get for getting excited. Lol a roosting box is just my terminology for a hidy hole where she can hunker down and rest. She's a frequent napper. Should I offer her shredded paper to throw around?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Added a second story to her cage today so she has more than just floor space. Added a board ramp to the second level as well as adding a rubber mat to the floor of her cage so she can rest from the wire. It's flat rubber on one side and textured with little rubber grass fingers on the other side. We will see which she prefers. They both will be super easy to clean! :) Picked up dove feed today as well. Protein 11%, Fat 4%, Fiber 7.5%, Moisture 12%. She is rather upset with me tonight because I rearranged her cage and violated her privacy, but I daresay when she gets used to it and discovers she is no longer confined to the floor, she will forgive me. ;)

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Good save and good job! Nice looking bird. Feral pigeons usually don't have a crest like that and usually are not that color............they COULD be.......but more likely it is a breed or cross from someone's loft. She may enjoy a box to get inside, pehraps with some shredded paper. When she feels better she will certainly enjoy this type of nest box. Do you have grit too?? Best to get some pigeon grit. For one bird it would be easy to order just a couple pounds online or if you have a pigeon person near you see if you can get some. You could also buy cockateil grit from petsmart but it is a little smaller than ideal.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I checked out grit yesterday. Called the bird sanctuary to check in with them again and the lady there told me to buy child safe playsand in place of grit. Apparently its perfectly safe and cheaper in bulk. :) I'm trying to figure out how to post pics of my cage modification and it won't let me on this thread...

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
I would still get a quality pigeon grit......it is coarser (though not as coarse as for chickens) than playsand and has added minerals, crushed oyster shell etc. It is very cheap if you can buy it locally. You could also get a "pickpot" of small amount from foy's and i have seen it on ebay too.
You could try posting your pics to a free photo group like "photoshop" and then post the link here.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.