Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI. I found a mom spotted pigeon and 2 baby pigeons in my apartment courtyard recently. But I haven't seen mom pigeon showed up for 2 days already. I am worried that the mom pigeon is already dead. I tried to give the 2 baby pigeons some raw rice and water but I am not sure did they eat it or not.
They don't have a nest or what since they just moved to here and they are hiding under the bush. The baby pigeons can't fly but if I come too close ( < 1 meter) they would run into the bush. So it's kind of hard for me to catch them.
What should I do now? Should I wait for few more days to see if the mom pigeon is coming back or ...?
Thanks for help.
Plant Wood Organism Twig Grass

·
Registered
610 Posts
Yes, I'm sure that they will love it. If possible, either scatter the seeds under or around the bushes, or if using a bowl make sure that it is under some low covering such as leaves. Otherwise hawks might notice the birds feeding in one spot out in the open.

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
Both parents care for the babies, so if something happened to the mom then the dad will continue to care for them. The feeding goes so quickly, so one can miss that easily Although you will hear them squeak when one of the parents come to feed them.

Check their droppings. If brown and plenty, then you know they are getting fed. The droppings of a starving baby will be bright green and creamy.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Both parents care for the babies, so if something happened to the mom then the dad will continue to care for them. The feeding goes so quickly, so one can miss that easily Although you will hear them squeak when one of the parents come to feed them.

Check their droppings. If brown and plenty, then you know they are getting fed. The droppings of a starving baby will be bright green and creamy.
Thank you! I just got some dove food from petco and went check them. They disappeared, i dont know is they were hiding in the bush or something happened on them.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I know this is late but just wanted to give you a little knowledge on this situation. In this case the two are actually mourning doves and are whats called a fledgling. A fledgling is a bird that is old enough to have left the nest, but has some trouble flying and eating seed. The parents still feed them still but a lot less than when they where in the nest. un at this age they can’t or have trouble flying well for about three days, sometimes more. At this fledgling stage, they Are to explore their new home out of the nest from the ground and still get fed by parents. Unfortunately many die because they can’t fly to get away from animals like cats, but this is what they must do to become an adult, if you see one in danger though take it inside. After three days they start to fly good enough to escape predators at a good rate but still get fed by mom and dad for about another week while learning to find and eat seed. Once they learn to Fend for themselves in about two weeks after fledging, the parents lay a new set of eggs to restart the cycle. to identify fledgling from nestling read on, a hatchling is usually 0-4 days old in most birds such as the dove, at this age they can’t see and are bald or covered in tiny white or yellow fuzz called downy. Hatchlings must be in a nest and if you find one, bring it inside and keep very warm. post if you ever find one. a nestling is a bit older than a hatchling but still MUST be in a nest. They usually are half bald with little feathers and pinfeathers. Pinfeathers are little tubes that have developing feathers inside. If you find a nesting use the same thing I said for a hatchling. Next comes the fledgling. If you red this far thank you.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts