Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I found a pigeon that cannot walk or stand up. Through visual inspection, the legs and feet are fine but week. They are weakly responsive. I wanted to take him to a vet or rehab we, but I’m in San Juan, Puerto Rico and haven’t been able to find one that will take him. I’m also only here for the week, so I’m worried about having to leave him like this on Sunday. Right now he’s eating, drinking, all that good stuff in my house. Any help and recommendations are appreciated!
Bird Vertebrate Beak Grey Comfort

·
Registered
907 Posts
Seeds are their natural diet. Peas, rice, lentils, sunflower kernels, oats, and so on. Is he pecking at food and eating by himself? Water with a bit of lemon juice in it provides electrolytes and other nutrients. He may not yet know to drink by himself and might need help the first time or two.

·
Registered
907 Posts
I'd give that bird a bath. I usually use a large mixing bowl, half-full of room-temperature or only slightly warmer water. Set the bird in the bowl, then use one hand to prevent the bird from flying, and the other to pour handfuls of water over the bird's body (but not over the head) until thoroughly wet and clean. Pat dry with a towel. He definitely appears to be malnourished, and may be injured. Look for any open wounds, or broken bones (feel along the bones in the wings with your fingertips.)

If no wounds or broken bones, then malnutrition is very likely what is affecting the legs. Feed him more, fresh or thawed-from-frozen peas would be good, they are easy to digest and provide a variety of nutrients. Crumbled hard-boiled egg yolk (cooled) would also provide very good nutrition. He should be eating about 2 ounces of food total per day across 3 or 4 feedings. Be sure that he is actually eating and drinking.

·
Registered
907 Posts
When I picked her up on June 30th to bring her into Palomacy’s foster care, I was shocked to find her so emaciated and weak. She was completely unable to use her legs and down on her keel (breastbone).

^ Similar situation, with a happy outcome.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts