Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that I have to pull my bird, Mistews dead flights, wich have been in for quite a while. there about 2 or 3 of them, the rest have already come out but these won't! I know that there's no blood in them, but I don't know how to pull them.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Of course it hurts. Feathers are bigger than hair and hurts when you pull hairs too. If you need to do it, hold him in hand and pull one feather slowly but firmly. Do you have enough feather length to hold, if not use tweezers.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I couldn't SEE any blood, but does that actually mean that there isn;t any? How can I tell?
I really want to put poor old Mistew through as less pain as possible.
Do you have enough feather length to hold, if not use tweezers.
Yes there is plenty of feather to grab onto.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Some fanciers force molt in their pigeons this way to get them with full set of feathers before the race. Surely it is not uncommon practice.
May I ask why don't you just leave feathers to fall? Sooner or later will happen.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
The problem is that by letting them molt naturally they are loosing flight feathers right in the middle of young bird races. An incomplete wing will handicap the bird's ability to compete.

People have come up with all sorts of ways to avoid this. The darkening system attempts to prolong the molt until after the race season. The birds go through a body molt but retain their flights. In the light system you are attempting to spped up the molt so that by the time the races roll around the birds have completely molted all their flights and basically look like yearlings.

Hope this helps.

Dan

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, I don't believe he races.

When I pull feathers, I do it as quickly as I can. Like pulling teeth. The longer to sit there tugging, the more pain there is. If you do it quickly and firmly, it will come out, and it will 'only hurt for a second' as the dentist says, LOL. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
But if there is no need...let it molt naturally. That won't be long now.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think I'll just try to pull them very quickly.
Those flights have been in there cut and probably dead for months now, and I don't think they'll come out any time soon.

MaryOfExeter no offence or anything, but I'm a she.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Actually, I don't do anything with them yet except for caring for them.
I'm planning to raise birds for show, but I'm just starting out and ther'es alot of things I have to get through before we start actually breeding.
The reason I want to pull the flights is because mistew used to be a social bird, even with his popped eye. But now he can't fly rounds or even really make it to the roof very well with the other birds.
I think he may be depressed:(

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Actually, I don't do anything with them yet except for caring for them.
I'm planning to raise birds for show, but I'm just starting out and ther'es alot of things I have to get through before we start actually breeding.
The reason I want to pull the flights is because mistew used to be a social bird, even with his popped eye. But now he can't fly rounds or even really make it to the roof very well with the other birds.
I think he may be depressed:(
If he is missing an eye...he shouldn't be out flying. That's very dangerous.
If he's acting depressed, maybe he is sick.
Can you please describe why you think he is depressed...what is he doing?

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The flights have been pulled!

Well, I don't think he'll be too depressed much longer, I finally got the flights pulled!

He was very stressed and shaky during the pulling, but seemed to be relieved after they were all pulled. He couldn't fly up to his nest, how evevr, I think do to the missing flights. How long will it take for them to grow back?

and Charis Mistew seems to quite fine with his handi-capped eye:)
He constantly swivels his head when he's out, to make sure nothing is sneeking up on him. He has had a bad eye for a year now, and he's always been aware and safe.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
No...You can't let him out to fly...it is far too dangerous.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, you see, thats the problem. I can't release some birds with out releasing all of them. This is why...

Any birds who want to go out can just come out.
I know I should have a landing board, but theres a few problems.
The coop is at the side of the house, and the walkway is a little too narrow to puta landing board in without people (my crazy little hyper brother for insance) bonking their heads into it each time they walked down the path way.
And we actually havn't ever BUILT anything for the coop. the closest we've come to that is installing some already made boxes into the wall. We actaully didn't build the loft, the person who introduced us to pigeons built it for us.
I won't take him on trips to the park any more (I barley even did so before) but theres absolutley no way I can keep him confined in an open door loft.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Charis is right Clucklebeed!
I let Pirate fly inside, but outside is dangerous even for two eyed birds. In case of attack, first victim is the slowest bird. We are talking a part of the second.
Your coop is not very secure, as predators can get inside easy through open door and attack hens and babies. You need to think of something.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
We close it up at night, and there are no predators around except for birds of prey, and even they are few, yet we still worry about them
But you are right, I really do need to think of something.
But if I nevr let Mistew out, he will never be able to fly, and keeping a bird inside my house is completley out of the question. I would be fine with it, but there are OTHER people at my house who would think a bird in the house was one of their wosrt nightmares!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts