Pigeon-Talk banner

Help ID-ing my beautiful birds

2K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Ladygrey 
#1 · (Edited)
Help with breed id...

Here is the photo of a few in their old loft several months ago. They have very tight body feathers, and just a little fluffier around the neck (mostly males do)The cock who is farthest from front, is at least 17yrs old. (I'm sure you can tell he is older) I will add some more if that would help too.
Well here is my id problem. I have had these pigeons for 17yrs plus. I thought they were Turkish tumblers. I don't think that is what they are. They spin sideways.....I don't know if that is normal or odd. They have done this since the day I brought them home. I have looked all over the internet and cannot find any good info on this type of performance. They do not fly very high, about a single story house high. They clap their wings very loudly even when flying from one perch to another or down to eat or water. They are mostly a large size with big long wings. They wings are about the length of their long tails when at rest. Most are in the ash bar color, with various dilutes and recessives from those base colors. Even though a large size (to me anyhow) they are adept at shaking loose a pursuing hawk by maneuvers through the local tree canopy. I rather like how they do not fly too high. Flying higher only brings them to the attention of the year round hawks. (I leave that to my neighbor and his King pigeons). They are calm for the most part very healthy birds. (I still have 3 of the original pairs. So these 6 are 17+ yrs old. All were adults when I bought them.) I will send some photos here as soon as I take them today.
Any help would be a relief.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
They sound very interesting, Yes a picture of them would help to identify what you have there. Using a search online can help also, by typing what breeds you think they may be and looking at images of those, google image is one.

Also I’m surprised the king pigeons fly high, here in the US, the king pigeon is a heavy large bird that does not fly super high. Or even flown for that matter.

My white homing pigeon will though, just specks in the sky and that is how they avoid a type hawk I have here that can come from the forest canopy and swoop down. It’s not an eagle or a falcon, but a Cooper’s hawk, so that is why my birds do well to fly high, then when the hawk moves on they descend and trap in quick and I close them up.

#3 · (Edited)
I hope my lengthy message made to to the thread! I appreciate your reply. Yes, I have internet junki-ed the breed issue for years off and on with only minor luck. And yes, my neighbors Kings don't fly real high, just over the tops of the oak trees, and 3 or 4 circles is all. He may have crossed his few white homers with the Kings as they are slow and do not attain any significant height when airborne. Coopers hawks are the worst for getting pigeons. My most dreaded Coopers used to wait until my pigeons had taken baths and then make her way over to launch an attack. Smart for a hawk, as I don't see them as being too intelligent and certainly not warm/and cuddly birds! LOL
Thank you for reply!

#6 ·
After doing a lot of internet searching, I now think they are Syrian coop tumblers. Looks wise, but especially how they perform in flight. They are low fliers, or coop height and not the high flight of the Turkish tumblers. But, thank you, at least we are closer to an answer in the right place. Near the Middle East anyhow!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.