Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
812 Posts
Hi The H,

Beautiful birds! Congrats on your new pigeons, nice color.

I am not sure, but these look like young high flyers...or rollers/tumblers.

They look young to me, possibly 2,3, months +.

I feed my pigeons twice a day; morning and afternoon. I keep fresh, clean water for them all day.

Will you be flying them ? or keeping them in house? Feeding pattern may vary depending on their activities. I suggest keeping water for them at all times (esp. in UAE it is very dry...)

I feed approx. 28 grams ( 1 ounce) of food per pigeon, I learnt it from the Forum somewhere. Hopefully other members will be able to add more advice.

Wish you good luck :)

Peace.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Yasin for your advice.

I am taking out the food and water in night as it is very cold now a days.

Also I will start putting down food only in morning and afternoon as you suggested.

I want them to be at home and some small fly around for there fun but no plans for flying

Thanks

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
How many birds do you have? Are they kept inside or outside?
Do you have an enclosure for them or just a cage? If not training for racing or anything, then many just leave food for them all the time, and they eat what they want. Water should be there all the time.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have 2 more pigeon but don't know the breed, if any one can help me for that as well. Someone has given this as gift to me so don't know anything about them. Bird Vertebrate Pigeons and doves Rock dove Beak

Th earlier one, I bought from a trader and he told me that those are Pakistani flying pigeon but not able to provide much details on this.

Thanks for everyone's advice.

·
Registered
812 Posts
This other pair is also young, possibly these birds have an South Asian origin, as I see lots of birds like this in Dhaka, Bangladesh. They(2nd pair, white) are just normal 'homer' type I think.

If you keep food out all the time, be wary of pests.

Schedule to give your birds a bath every once in a while. Clean birds are happy birds in my opinion.

For the pigeons I have inside the cages, I always put a flat piece of cardboard or something flat on the floor. If your cage height allows it, I suggest putting a perch or a twig.
I put a flat surface (piece of cardboard, etc.) because I think that the wire floor is not the most comfortable for the pigeons feet. I have noticed they usually prefer to stay on the cardboard/flat surface rather than on the wire floor. This is just a personal method, maybe other members can shed light on this.

Peace.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
As far as leaving feed all the time, I don't mean over night. Just during the day. You would pick it up at night. I was also thinking of feeding in a loft, not a cage, where rodents can get to it. So much safer in a loft that excludes rodents and such.

I agree with Yasin, on putting either wood or cardboard on the floor of the cage, if the bottom wire can't be removed, as it can in some cages. The wire is very uncomfortable for them to be standing on all the time. It should be solid floor. The wire may make it easier for the owner to clean, but not good for the birds.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts