Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A pair of european collared doves made their nest on my balcony 1 and a half years ago. They had 7 generations of cubs with no problems. 1 hour after the last pair of cubs took flight a kid brought a dove cub to me that he found on the ground. I thought it was one of the cubs so I put him in the nest. She died in 4 hours and I thought this was because of fear (she breathed like when been scared all the time). Now the doves had the 8th generation of cubs and they both died in the first days after they hatched.

Is the nest infected ??? Is there a risk for the adult birds ??? What can I do in this situation ? Can I spray the nest with something ?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I talked with the vet and put an antibiotic Enrofloxacina in their water. http://www.pasteur.ro/produse/enrofloxacina-10-2/

Also I sprayed the nest with Ecocid. https://www.petmart.ro/ecocid-50g.html?gclid=CPvc-r7kzMwCFcO4Gwodq5IEfg This stuff is supposed to be a universal desinfectant and work against "all known viruses". Are this things really effective ?

Turns out there is a little epidemic at the moment in birds from my city. Do you think the doves will get scared of the cubs dying and change their nest ? They have this nest for such a long time and had so many successful cubs. It's a miracle anyway that european collared doves made their nest in a human balcony. I hope they will not change their nest...

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have no idea. But the Ernofloxacina that I am putting in the water does not cause any damage. Even if the pigeons drinking it are not sick that thing will still strengthen their immunity system. I read about that on the internet before and that's what the vet said too. The collared doves have their neck a little swallen too.

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
It would be good to know what the disease is for future concerns. There are several different diseases that can cause death of hatchlings.

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
Giving meds doesn't strengthen their immune system. If it treats what they have, then that is good. But it also kills off the good gut bacteria that they need in their system. That good bacteria helps to keep them from getting sick, by fighting off the bad bacterias that make them sick. So it actually weakens their immune system. They should actually be given probiotics, which are good gut bacteria, after they have had a course of medication.

Also, medicating in the water is not a sure thing, as they will usually drink at other places as well, (especially if they can taste any med in the water), so aren't getting enough of the med. This can help to cause bacteria to build up a resistance to the drug. If the nest has been there for so long, there could be parasites in the nest that are killing the babies. A good mite and lice spray that will not hurt the birds would be helpful for that.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's quite hard to find out what they have because I never touched them. Been european collared doves that is out of the question cause they are way more wild than pigeons.

One of them has the neck a little inflamated. That is all the information that I have. I did some research and that ernoflaxicina is exactly what you said. And it's also used mainly for samonela.

How can I know what to give them? Only information that I have is the 2 cubs dying and one of them having his neck a little inflamated.

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
Enrofloxyn is a wide spectrum drug that covers many things. Babies not hatching, or dying shortly after can be salmonella or e-coli. Enroflox is good for treating these things. But giving it in the water isn't such a good idea. They won't get enough of the drug. Where they are wild birds, I don't think there is much you can do to help them. It could even be parasites in the nest. You have no way of knowing, so treating is a shot in the dark.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yesturday he was breathing on his mouth and making a sound simiar to snorting. Now she is not breathing that difficult but the neck is still inflated. He did not drink too much of the ernoflaxicina water. Is he getting better ? If he is, is it because of the medicine or because it was an ilness that heals on itself ? The guy who told me to use this medicine said he might have had feaver and now the feaver passed away. His mate is not ill.

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
The medicine wouldn't make him better that quickly. Besides, he is probably not drinking enough of it.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/f23/sick-feral-swollen-neck-advice-please-72424.html

I read about this and the colalred dove is exactly the same. Very swollen neck and withish-gren poop. Should I try to catch him and give special medicine down his throat ?????

He is a european collared dove and they can have a hearth attack when catched. I never touched him in 1,5 years he stayed in my balcony. Please help what should I do ???

I read somewhere that once started the pigeon will die. In another place I read that this watter treatment will cure it in 1-2 days. Should I catch the dove and run with him to the vet as fast as possible in the morning ?????

Edit: I read that it can be cranker or a indigestion. In the second case he should be catched and massage the neck. How do I know witch one is ? He indeed was feed with too much grain but it could also be a cranker because of the stress of losing the 2 cubs. What else should I feed them except grain or pigeon food ? Bread and "mamaliga" (maid of maise) ??? He eat mamaliga today from a neibourgh. How am I going to catch him ? I hope I will fiind a special net. Is the ernoflaxicina, an antibiotic, good for this cranker too ? How do I know if it's a cranker or indigestion ?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have read more and I think I have to catch him. How will I do that ? It's quite impossible to do this at a balcony and I don't think I will find a pigeon net in my city. Is there some ingenious way to do this ?

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/f23/sick-feral-swollen-neck-advice-please-72424.html

I read about this and the colalred dove is exactly the same. Very swollen neck and withish-gren poop. Should I try to catch him and give special medicine down his throat ?????

Could be canker.

He is a european collared dove and they can have a hearth attack when catched. I never touched him in 1,5 years he stayed in my balcony. Please help what should I do ???

I read somewhere that once started the pigeon will die. In another place I read that this watter treatment will cure it in 1-2 days. Should I catch the dove and run with him to the vet as fast as possible in the morning ?????

No med is going to cure something in a couple of days. Depending on what it is, would be 7 to 10 days anyway. Possibly longer. Besides, it would also have to be his only water source, which this isn't.

Edit: I read that it can be cranker or a indigestion. In the second case he should be catched and massage the neck.

No. Please do not message the neck, as that isn't going to help anything.

How do I know witch one is ? He indeed was feed with too much grain but it could also be a cranker because of the stress of losing the 2 cubs. What else should I feed them except grain or pigeon food ? Bread and "mamaliga" (maid of maise) ??? He eat mamaliga today from a neibourgh. How am I going to catch him ? I hope I will fiind a special net. Is the ernoflaxicina, an antibiotic, good for this cranker too ? How do I know if it's a cranker or indigestion ?

No. Enro is not for canker. For that you would need a canker med like Metronidazole. I think you should probably just let them be and see if maybe he is okay. It is difficult enough for someone with experience to treat a wild dove.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I did not manage to see him from close angle today to see how he is doing. I changed the meds with the recommended ones. Can they heal from cranker by themselves or will they die ? Should I try to catch him because there is no other way? They have their nest on my balcony for 1 and half years so they are like members of the family. I do not want to lose them :(

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
Without seeing him, we can't really tell if there is anything wrong with him, or what it would be. Kind of hard to give you advice in what to do. Don't know that you could catch him anyway.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
He clearly has cranker, no doubt about it. His neck is swollen and face is like in the pictures... And his cubs died. Witch means cranker for ceirtain. Does cranker heal on itself or is always deadly ? How do I know if he is in terminal condition and needs urgent catching ? He looks quite bad but he does not breath on his mouth as before and I think he can sing too. He does not drink too much of the water we put, probably drinks from other sources. Is there a big or small chance that he will heal by himself ?

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
His face is like what pictures? Where do they eat?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Incredible. He healed back by himself in just 2 days. Today he looked almost completely normal. 2 days ago he had his neck so swallen that I was hard for me to watch him. His eyes and face looked like after a lifetime of crack cocaine. He layed down most of the day and as I said, at one point he was breathing through his mouth and made a sound like snorting. I already prepared myself mentally for him dying, I thought there is almost no chance. I have no idea how he healed because he drank none of the special anti-cranckle medicine and just a little of the antibiotics put before. I read somewhere that before the new medicine for crankle was invented, antibiotics were used. I hope that everything is allright and he will be fine.

European collared doves are a little different than pigeons so maybe that is an explanation. I found almost 0% information about collared doves and their ilness on the internet. They are 50-50% with pigeons in terms of population in my country and probably most of europe so I am surprised there is almost nothing about them on the internet. Not to mention that they are super super cute and stay puffed-up most of the time. Are they rare in the US ?

Interesting fact: They were present only around Turkey untill 1930 and then started spreading around. They got in Romania around 1950 and we are pretty close to Turkey. I have no idea how they started spreading around the world like that all of a sudden.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts