Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a bird that had eye sore and after the eye sore was recovered, this little bump formed between the beak and eye on the right side of my bird. Now the bump doubled in sized and is very hard like. I tried poking it with a needle and nothing came out. It's very firm almost bone like bump. Any one have any idea what it is. I have raised birds for long time now and never seen anything of this sort. Any ideas or answer will be helpful.

My plan was to put pox dry on it and see if it eats it up and go away but haven't done it yet. Would like some intake on this first.

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Please don't poke with a needle.

Please post a pic of the bird's head where the lesions are. It could be pox or something else.

Have you looked down the throat and do you see any other lesions?

What is the history on this bird, has it been treated with any prevention. like pox, canker, etc?

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Yes. A picture would be very helpful in determining what it is.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Without a picture it is difficult to say anything about pox...perhaps it is pox?

But based on what you have written it sounds like a case of sinusitis to me. Sinusitis would cause a hard cheesy pus build up under or above an eye. The sore eye could have been a symptom, to either a bacterial/fungal/respiratory infection which could have then caused sinusitis.

I'm no expert by far...but thought that I would throw it out there for your consideration.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Sinus canker
Sometimes canker organisms can invade the sinuses through the slot in the roof of the mouth and form a canker nodule here. The birds present with a firm swelling across the forehead between the base of the cere and the eyes. Anticanker medication is given for 4 - 5 days to kill the active infection. After this, lancing the area by making an incision in the skin over the most prominent area of the nodule enables the canker nodule to be expressed. Once the nodule is removed, it is best to continue with anticanker medication for several days. Healing is usually uneventful.

P.S.I would treat for canker longer time without any incision during time it will reduce in size and disappear.

·
Premium Member
9,478 Posts
Following what Bella said, I had a bird in who had a lump - although actually on the cere behind the eye - due to sinusitis and/or conjunctivitis (probably both, according to two vets). I treated that bird with Baytril for 10 days and the swelling went, the bird now being fine. This lump may be something different to what is being discussed here, as it was like a large swelling which stretched the eye cere.

John

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I know for sure it's not pox, I've had pox before on one of my birds a long time ago so I know how it looks like. As for canker, it is not canker as well and there are no lesions or swelling in the throat. All my birds are poxed , pmv, as they are weaned and they get a booster shot for pmv 2 months before breeding. The sugguestion of sinus canker, possible but the lump is not hard or cheesy, it feels almost bone like when you touch it and when pressure is applied, the lump does not go down.

I will get pictures up soon. Again the lump is between the right eye and the beak. You would say on the cheek of the bird.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
On the sinus canker the lump is hard, not cheesy (same is with navel canker). Even if it is not canker, treatment will do no harm, but will eliminate that possibility.:)

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, I will treat for canker to be on the safe side. What would you reccomend for medication. I have used many types before like spatrix, ronidazol, and metronidazol powder. I get most my stuff from foys, Is there any other reccomended products that have worked for you guys.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Without a picture it is difficult to say anything about pox...perhaps it is pox?

But based on what you have written it sounds like a case of sinusitis to me. Sinusitis would cause a hard cheesy pus build up under or above an eye. consideration.
After many medications and almost attempt to remove the lump my self. I took it to the vet. From the looks of it, bella is right. Canker sinutis. When I made an incision, I didn't go deep enough to actually cut through and reach the canker. The vet's put him to sleep and pulled it out. The lump was do to a form of hard casing and inside the casing was nasty rotten like cheesy substance as we all know is canker. The canker came through the nasal pasage and it also pushed one of the bone structure of the birds cheek up a little. Hopefully it heals and go back to normal. This bird is somewhat priceless and I had to have it removed. Somewhat related to Propigeons hen on his site Schalieke.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I'm so glad you took him to a vet. When you say you made the incision, were you at the vet or did you do it on your own at home? Was the bird under or on any medicine when you made the incision? Would love to see of picture of your priceless bird and I hope he has a speedy recovery. min

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
When I made and incision I used a small razor blade like one of the members have told me so that it would open a little bit so I can put pox dry on it. The vet said that when he looked at it, the incision I made wasn't even deep enough for the pox dry to even have an effect. I'll get pictures up of the ending result.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

this is the good side of the bird.

The bad side of the bird. It used to be worst and the eye was almost swollen shut. The canker has been taken out and excess skin is still there, hopefully it goes down but the canker has caused some damage and feels like the cheek bone has broken a little. The vets said it will recover but might not look the best. This bird is down from jojos international loft. Suzy q blood with a little 058 spanjaards on the bottom.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Poor baby, glad you took care of it. It does look bad. It almost looks like he has 2 eyes on one side of his face. I would have liked to seen a picture at its worse to compare, did you take any pictures then? min

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No I didn't take any before pictures, I should of. Been very busy with school and get very little time with the birds, today I had my camera with me and after school, I went to the loft and took the pictures. The birds are at my folks place.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Glad the poor thing is doing better.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts